Andy9o8

Anglican Priest: Go Forth and Shoplift

Here's a story I thought was interesting. An Anglican priest in the UK said in a sermon that poor people, desperate for food, should shoplift (but only from larger businesses) if it will help keep them from resorting to robbery, prostitution, etc. An interesting point of view, though obviously a minority one. What do you think?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1237470/Priest-advises-congregation-shoplift.html

Thou SHALT shoplift: Priest tells congregation it's better than robbery or prostitution

By Chris Brooke
Last updated at 9:44 AM on 22nd December 2009

Poor people who are desperate for cash have been advised to go forth and shoplift from major stores - by an Anglican priest.

The Rev Tim Jones said in his Sunday sermon that stealing from successful shops was preferable to burglary, robbery or prostitution.

He told parishioners it would not break the eighth commandment 'thou shalt not steal' because it 'is permissible for those who are in desperate situations to take food that they might not starve'.

But his advice was roundly condemned by police and the local Tory MP. Father Jones, 42, was discussing Mary and the birth of Jesus when he went on to the subject of how poor and vulnerable people cope in the run-up to Christmas.

'My advice, as a Christian priest, is to shoplift,' he told his stunned congregation at St Lawrence and St Hilda in York.

'I do not offer such advice because I think that stealing is a good thing, or because I think it is harmless, for it is neither.

'I would ask that they do not steal from small family businesses, but from large national businesses, knowing that the costs are ultimately passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher prices.

'I would ask them not to take any more than they need. I offer the advice with a heavy heart. Let my words not be misrepresented as a simplistic call for people to shoplift.

'The observation that shoplifting is the best option that some people are left with is a grim indictment of who we are.

'Rather, this is a call for our society no longer to treat its most vulnerable people with indifference and contempt.

'

My advice, as a Christian priest, is to shoplift,' he told his stunned congregation at St Lawrence and St Hilda in York.

He couldn't provide his congregation with a list of charities and recommend them? :S
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Here's a story I thought was interesting. An Anglican priest in the UK said in a sermon that poor people, desperate for food, should shoplift (but only from larger businesses) if it will help keep them from resorting to robbery, prostitution, etc. An interesting point of view, though obviously a minority one. What do you think

Just to clarify the priest's advice, without commenting on its morality: the priest meant that it is OK to shoplift ONLY in truly extreme cases where, unless one resorted to shoplifting, one would be unable to pay for one's food, rent, or tithe. :)
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014