ridestrong

New breast cancer screening guidelines... good idea?

That being said, I'd think that most people who are not medical professionals would probably not be qualified to vote in this "poll".

Unfortunately Fox "news" makes the people believe you can become a doctor by listening to their talk shows. So I'm expecting another public outcry about our death panel government. After all, aren't they all for saving money on those early diagnosis, and prefer to pay less to treat the cancer? Oops, it doesn't match. Never mind, Fox "news" regulars mostly lost their ability to think independently anyway.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

you DO know the insurance companies would do this anyway, right?

My health plan is with one of the more respected insurers in the industry, and they told me last year that due to recommendations from "experts" i no longer need an annual pap test...every 3 years will do for women under 40 with no abnormal test results.

How is this any different? replace "breast cancer" with "cervical cancer" and it's pretty much the same.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

A government task force ....

"Family doctors often abide by the task force's recommendations in their practices, and insurance companies routinely turn to USPSTF -- a panel of independent medical experts -- to guide coverage plans."

More scare tactics from the right.

More "we know what's best for you" from the left.

"Not screening all women in their 40s and every other year in their 50s is an opportunity to miss some cancer and miss saving lives," said Dr. Elizabeth Fontham, dean of the Louisiana School of Public Health and the national volunteer president for the American Cancer Society. "I certainly think it is going to confuse women, and that's unfortunate."

The American College of Radiology called the guidelines "a step backward," and added that they "represent a significant harm to women's health."

WHOOSH and DOUBLE WHOOSH.

Is that Rush posting as Mike?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That being said, I'd think that most people who are not medical professionals would probably not be qualified to vote in this "poll".

Unfortunately Fox "news" makes the people believe you can become a doctor by listening to their talk shows. So I'm expecting another public outcry about our death panel government. After all, aren't they all for saving money on those early diagnosis, and prefer to pay less to treat the cancer? Oops, it doesn't match. Never mind, Fox "news" regulars mostly lost their ability to think independently anyway.

Nice hyperbole - too bad it's full of shit. Been reading Huf'n'puff post or dkos again, George?

It's the DEMOCRAT healthcare plan that talks about early screening, remember? Of course, that same plan is the one that takes money out of medicare and medicare.

Looks like once again you've got your 'info' wrong.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You made an argument to authority,

No, I did nothing of the sort. Go back and re-read.

I made a countervailing one.

No, you made an idiotic knee-jerk comment because you failed to comprehend what I wrote.

Is this Rush posting as Mike?

Is this Lucky posting as kallend?

Whoosh.

Part of the problem is that Medicare/Medicaid and any future government run health care plan will follow these guidelines and private insurance companies will follow and refuse payment for screening under the age of 50. The insurance companies that currently cover mammograms for women between 40 and 50 will likely no longer pay for the screening.

I thought we were supposed to "save" money by preventative screening, now the government wants less of it.

When it comes to cancer I would prefer to take the recommendations of the American Cancer Society over a government panel... But, prepare for more recommendations from government panels.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Yes, I'm sure your bolding and coloring of "a panel of independent medical experts" was an inadvertent slip of the finger, then?

Nice try.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Been reading Huf'n'puff post or dkos again, George?

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Suggestion: if you're reading shit, don't assume everyone else reads it too.

It's the DEMOCRAT healthcare plan that talks about early screening, remember?

You do understand that this panel conclusion has nothing to do with "DEMOCRAT healthcare plan", which is not even a law yet?

But I still don't understand you. You've been complaining about government spending and arguing for limiting the costs for ages, and now when you get a measure which may potentially limit such spending, you gonna complain again?
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Yes, I'm sure your bolding and coloring of "a panel of independent medical experts" was an inadvertent slip of the finger, then?

Nice try.

It was exactly what I meant to write, and it was to point out that the panel is not under government control as implied by the OP and many right wingers.

Nice try.

It was exactly what I meant to write, and it was to point out that the panel is not under government control as implied by the OP and many right wingers.

Of course not...their website ends in .gov because they're funded by and report to the Shriners.

It is AHRQ's mission to improve the safety, quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of health care for all Americans. The USPSTF is a prime example of the Agency's efforts to translate research on preventive medicine into practice.

In keeping with its mission and the importance of prevention, AHRQ has augmented its support staff for the USPSTF and for its prevention programs in general. The AHRQ Center for Primary Care, Prevention, and Clinical Partnerships oversees operation of the USPSTF, and provides administrative, programmatic, and technical support for the USPSTF program.

Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

you DO know the insurance companies would do this anyway, right?

My health plan is with one of the more respected insurers in the industry, and they told me last year that due to recommendations from "experts" i no longer need an annual pap test...every 3 years will do for women under 40 with no abnormal test results.

How is this any different? replace "breast cancer" with "cervical cancer" and it's pretty much the same.

I have to laugh at the fact you think your insurance company is one of the more respectable insurances. I wouldn't call any insurance company respectable. You as a patient have the right to get a pap every yr and it does not matter what they are telling you the guidelines are. It is a physical you as an insured pay for. If they are telling you you will not be covered but every three yrs then how is it they are one of the more respectable insurance companies?
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Part of the problem is that Medicare/Medicaid and any future government run health care plan will follow these guidelines and private insurance companies will follow and refuse payment for screening under the age of 50. The insurance companies that currently cover mammograms for women between 40 and 50 will likely no longer pay for the screening.

I thought we were supposed to "save" money by preventative screening, now the government wants less of it.

When it comes to cancer I would prefer to take the recommendations of the American Cancer Society over a government panel... But, prepare for more recommendations from government panels.

You are reading only what you want to with this article. This is something that has been going on for sometime and is just now getting the attention because of the health care reform.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force is a government panel, so therefor the government panel is under government control.

The fact is, this will limit the tools and resources between patients and their doctors. This action is a step of the government coming between the decisions made between patients and their doctors, legitimizing concerns of increased government interference in health care coming to fruition.

This is not "fear mongering", but it is a very real concern.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

My personal and professional opinion is that women should have a pap yearly after she becomes sexually active and a mammogram yearly after 40 (or 5 years younger than a 1st degree relative was diagnosed with breast CA). If insurance doesn't pay (which it won't very, very soon), then save your pennies and pay out of pocket. It's worth it.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

My personal and professional opinion is that women should have a pap yearly after she becomes sexually active and a mammogram yearly after 40 (or 5 years younger than a 1st degree relative was diagnosed with breast CA). If insurance doesn't pay (which it won't very, very soon), then save your pennies and pay out of pocket. It's worth it.

linz

Most centers who offer mammo screenings run specials for 99 dollars which includes the radiologist fee. What is a 100 bucks a yr for for piece of mind?

If insurances don't pay for yearly screenings in the future I bet there will be a lot of Breat pain complaints every year. Which justifies a diagnostic mammo.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

If insurances don't pay for yearly screenings in the future I bet there will be a lot of Breat pain complaints every year. Which justifies a diagnostic mammo.

When I think about the hassle I went through to get an authorization for a booster Hep A shot (which turns a one year immunity into a 20+ year one), I suspect it would be a lot easier to just pay the $100 then to fake breast pains to get the ins co to authorize a screening.

When I think about the hassle I went through to get an authorization for a booster Hep A shot (which turns a one year immunity into a 20+ year one), I suspect it would be a lot easier to just pay the $100 then to fake breast pains to get the ins co to authorize a screening.

Most insurances do not cover immunizations for adults. Probably the reason you had a hard time with it.

I made the comment about breast pain because it will cover a the test if a person can not afford to pay a 100 dollars.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

Most insurances do not cover immunizations for adults. Probably the reason you had a hard time with it.

I made the comment about breast pain because it will cover a the test if a person can not afford to pay a 100 dollars.

They covered the first shot...the second one should be a given, since it removes any chance I'll need another for a very long time.

So if I told my PCP I have breast pain, would there be that 3 or 4 rounds of back and forth, a visit to see the doc, just to finally get an auth to go to the testing clinic?

I jumped to the PPO model. More costs, but more ability to select doctors and jump directly to the needs. Worked wonderfully when I had the shoulder break.

What part of "independent" do you fail to comprehend? The panel is made up of INDEPENDENT MEDICAL EXPERTS.

What part of "dot gov" do YOU fail to comprehend?

Really really weak response. You are losing your touch. Many government panels are independent of government control. I have been on government research panels (that now have a .gov domain) and no government official told us what to say or write.