Lucky...

Who thinks it was WWII that brought the US out of the Great Depression and not taxes and social programs?

Yes I know, filled with responses by posters like you ignoring data and deferring to rhetoric.

Data?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data

It's right there, numbers, information. I'm not talking nationalist rhetoric about how the the US is the best ever and how tax cuts, my friends, are the answer for everything. I'm talking numerically-based information.

And more generalizations. I wasn't even being serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

Well, everything you have there obviously shows that the UCLA study was completely wrong.......
Why don't you do a little more research and look communist countries. Or lets look in the united states at places that do just what you propose like NY or California or the city of chicago.....they are colapsing!! When you tax the rich it hurts the poor too because the rich are paying the poor!

Here are some facts about taxing the rich:
Myth 1: Raising taxes on the rich will close budget deficits.

Truth: Increasing the progressivity of the income tax code by raising the top two rates will not close the deficit. In fact, it will lead to more revenue volatility, which will lead to larger future deficits.

Myth 2: The rich do not pay their fair share.

Truth: The top 20 percent of income earners pay almost all federal taxes.

Myth 3: The income tax code favors the rich and well-connected.

Truth: The bottom 50 percent of income earners pay almost no income taxes and the poor and middle-income earners benefit greatly from the tax code.

Myth 4: It is all right to raise tax rates on the rich-- they can afford it.

Truth: Just because someone can afford to pay higher taxes does not mean he should be forced to do so.

Myth 5: Higher tax rates in the 1990s did not hurt economic growth, so it is all right to raise them to those levels again.

Truth: High tax rates in the 1990s were a contributing factor to the 2001 recession and returning to those rates will damage the already severely weakened economy.

Myth 6: The 2001 and 2003 tax cuts did not generate strong economic growth.

Truth: The tax cuts generated strong economic growth.

Myth 7: Raising the top two income tax rates will not negatively impact small businesses because only 2 percent of them pay rates at that level.

Truth: Raising the top two income tax rates will negatively impact almost three-fourths of all economic activity created by small businesses.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Taxes/bg2306.cfm

Seriously, look at your own country and how your policies have effected it!

And you continue to miss or ignore the fact that there was a bigger crash in the 20's followed by a huge economic boom! The difference between this crash and the great depression:
The crash in the 20's saw no government involvement in economics.
The crash that became the great depression saw massive government involvement.
And I am not going to link the info another time as you continue to ignore it.
The obvious is that if the government will stay out then things will recover. The reality is that it was government involvement that caused this recession! They blame banks for giving out loans but the government regulates interest rates and who qualifies! They wouldn't let the banks forclose on homes but when they finally did there was a surge in the home market and they said, "see...we are coming out of it and its working."
If all these things worked then why after all this stimulus and things has unemployment continued to rise? Why was it that every time something like the stimulus package or cap and trade was passed did the market immediately respond with a drop?
The attached chart shows what obama's advisors predicted would happen with and without a stimulus along with the actual. It clearly shows that the stimulus made things worse! There own estimates shows that the economy would recover on its own in the same amount of time!

If you have another option, state it. I don't see how tax uncreases, new deals, WWII and social spending didn't have a major role in recovery, but let's hear it.

With you? No. I'm not in the mood to waste my time.

If it was coming from lawrocket or Tom A. I might. They'll actually discuss a topic as opposed to making partisan generalizations and resorting to name-calling.

You're so convinced of your own moral superiority you think no one's arguments have any merit no matter their content, you've shown that in other threads. It's a waste of my time.

Personally I think you're on here just because you're entertained by the sound of your own voice, so to speak.

I did discuss it - I posted data.

Partisan? I stated Hoover, a president I despise, finnally raised taxes, how am I being partisan by stating his deeds good and bad?

Where did I call you a name?

Moral superiority? I don't see that in here, show me the way.

If you actually had an argument you would make it. It's quite obvious that tax increases, New Deals and social programs enabled the relief from 33 to 37, after that is up for grabs.

lawrocket or Tom A: These guys believe virtually as you do, how is there ever an argument but an affirmation of your own beliefs. You have to venture outside to learn and to teach.

Yes I know, filled with responses by posters like you ignoring data and deferring to rhetoric.

Data?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data

It's right there, numbers, information. I'm not talking nationalist rhetoric about how the the US is the best ever and how tax cuts, my friends, are the answer for everything. I'm talking numerically-based information.

And more generalizations. I wasn't even being serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

Obviously, if you were you would actually create an argument for your side. I know your take on this, it's just quite obvious that you are anable to make a solvent reply to support, "Tax cuts, my friends."

"Tax cuts, my friends."

And again, you prove my point.

What point is that? I wish you made a point in this thread and left your ad hominem and/or false cries of ad hominems upon you out. ION made a couple points I will merge his 2 repsonses later and answer them, until then just keep misdirecting.

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/recovery.htm

The first graph depicts the unemployment rate from 1929 to 1942. Unemployment was down to < 5% in 42, making me think the war had nothing to do with the recovery of the GD, as we entered the war in Dec 8, 42, officially.

Sigh. Bad "data" is worse than none at all.

We declared war on Dec 8, 1941. Which really fucks up your argument as unemployment was still 10% in 1941.

A big influence on the rise of the USA economy is surely based upon the fact that their industrial base was NOT destroyed in the war, whilst nearly everyone elses was.

Even 'if' the USA did not 'make' money out of the war directly, it most certainly used the fact of an intact industrial base to build upon its economic and political advantage.

The U.K has only just completed paying for the stuff that came across the pond ... not sure of the state of any other countries debt.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

A big influence on the rise of the USA economy is surely based upon the fact that their industrial base was NOT destroyed in the war, whilst nearly everyone elses was.

Even 'if' the USA did not 'make' money out of the war directly, it most certainly used the fact of an intact industrial base to build upon its economic and political advantage.

The U.K has only just completed paying for the stuff that came across the pond ... not sure of the state of any other countries debt.

The idea of making the Japanese and Germans build industry before homes, certainly gave them an advantage. We kept our old stuff, they got new, and the UK got screwed.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

The idea of making the Japanese and Germans build industry before homes, certainly gave them an advantage. We kept our old stuff, they got new, and the UK got screwed.

Oh, that's for sure:( - and the world thanked us by fucking us over BIG TIME

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

When the gov taxes they don't tax the poor. The bottom 50% pay < 3% of all taxes, so let's understand taxes are almost exclusively for the rich.

wow i want to know what fantasy land your in where the gov doesnt tax the poor. kinda sure im no where near the rich life and im getting taxed like mad.

When the gov taxes they don't tax the poor. The bottom 50% pay < 3% of all taxes, so let's understand taxes are almost exclusively for the rich.

wow i want to know what fantasy land your in where the gov doesnt tax the poor. kinda sure im no where near the rich life and im getting taxed like mad.

That would be the fantasy land where people read the IRS stats. He's correct.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It might feel like it, but in reality the entire 50% of all taxpayers could just not file or pay and the gov would spend more pursuing them than they would actually just fogetting about it. Don't get me wrong, they will come after you, butthe entire tax structure wouldn't fiscally miss the lower 50%; let's not flatter ourselves.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html

Bottom 50% = 2.89%...IOW's, you and I pay nothing in the grand scheme even tho it feels like a lot to us, so there's YOUR fantasyland, thinking your taxes actually affect the tax pool.