jgoose71

White Philly officer told to get rid of cornrows

Since black people can't be racist, does this count as reverse racism?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32965416/ns/us_news-weird_news/?GT1=43001

PHILADELPHIA - Police in Philadelphia say a white officer who came to work with cornrows was ordered by a black superior to get a haircut because the braids violated department standards.

The Philadelphia Daily News reported Monday that Officer Thomas Strain was put on desk duty this month because of the braids, even though the paper reported dozens of black officers wear cornrows.

I wonder if Obama will stick up for this guy.[:/]
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

How this would have played out if people just said what they were thinking - "I'm sorry, you can't do your hair like that, it looks fucking ridiculous."

well, if they said that to everybody with cornrows, and the responses (no matter what they were) were equivalent, then no problem

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Police in Philadelphia say a white officer who came to work with cornrows was ordered by a black superior to get a haircut because the braids violated department standards.

The Philadelphia Daily News reported Monday that Officer Thomas Strain was put on desk duty this month because of the braids, even though the paper reported dozens of black officers wear cornrows.

MSNBC is clearly racist
the article should have read as follows:

Police in Philadelphia say an officer who came to work with cornrows was ordered by a superior to get a haircut because the braids violated department standards.

The Philadelphia Daily News reported Monday that Officer Thomas Strain was put on desk duty this month because of the braids, even though the paper reported dozens of other officers wear cornrows.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

PHILADELPHIA - Police in Philadelphia say a white officer who came to work with cornrows was ordered by a black superior to get a haircut because the braids violated department standards.

I wonder if Obama will stick up for this guy.[:/]

What is your favorite brand of maccaroni and cheese?

I dunno, I bet Obama likes the one whose factories hire the most black people.

I wonder if Obama will stick up for this guy.

Good point - this really is an Obama issue, cuz everyone knows Obama just wants to stick up for all the Negroes, especially the mulattoes. Hey, thanks for setting us straight.

For the record, yes, the supervisor was an idiot, and now he's been deservedly made to look like a fool in front of the whole country.

What makes me laugh is that - just like clockwork! - stories like this make all the closet (and some not-so-closet) racists come out of the woodwork and wax all indignant.

Ah, well; only 3 more months til The War On Christmas.

How this would have played out if people just said what they were thinking - "I'm sorry, you can't do your hair like that, it looks fucking ridiculous."

I have to agree, he looks like a complete dipstick. But, unless he is violating some department regulation it's legal. And if they are going to hit him with the "Hat doesn't fit right" bit, they got to hit all the black police officers. Where is the ACLU?

I should have turned this into a Poll-

Why is no one helping this guy out?

A. He looks shit-tastic.
B. He's a cop.
C. He's a military Veteran.
D. He's white.
E. All of the above.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

So what? If, his hair doesn't interfere with the performance of his duties, what's the problem.

Chuck

They just can't stand a white boy having the same hairdo. After all, they invented it...spelling

Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

You or I or someone else might think it looks out of place on the officer but if, he's willing to take all the time to have his hair done that way... let him. I can recall a time when a police officer was reprimanded because his hair was a bit over his shirt collar.

Chuck

Good point - this really is an Obama issue, cuz everyone knows Obama just wants to stick up for all the Negroes, especially the mulattoes. Hey, thanks for setting us straight.

Well the police/professor issue was not something he should have gotten into either.... But he did.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

What makes me laugh is that - just like clockwork! - stories like this make all the closet (and some not-so-closet) racists come out of the woodwork and wax all indignant.

Pointing out an inequality makes you a racist? I guess Rossie Parks was a racist according to you.

Being allowed, or not being allowed to do/have/wear/say something based only on race *IS* racist.

Pointing out when it happens is not.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Go get a new one, Andy...yours is way past worn out.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Eh, you might have half a point if it wasn't the same, ol' folks cryin' in their beer about "reverse discrimination" all the time. But, alas, it is... and thus I stand by my point.

So, I guess people like MLK are to be discounted as well... I mean he 'cried in his beer about discrimination' a bunch.

Number of attempts to point out the problem does not make someone a racist either.

You're still evading my point, and I still stand by it.

No, I am pointing out how your point, and the logic you use to support it, is weak.

The number of times a person stands up for what is right and truly fair does not make them a racist. Only racist actions make a person a racist... Pointing out discrimination in ALL its forms (to include reverse discrimination) is not racism.

In fact not pointing out, or worse defending, reverse discrimination *IS* racism.