kallend

Did Texas execute an innocent man?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and argue that it's wrong to execute someone who is innocent under either definition.

Then when is it ok to kill someone?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/04/florida.murder.kidnap.penalty/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Let it be said that I don't think much of the death penalty. There are all too many innocent people who die as the result of a flawed legal system.

OTOH, if you have someone dead to rights, perhaps it's not so bad.

And no, I don't care that he has a brain injury or a low IQ. My only regret is that he won't die a slow, painful death.

Emotion-driven? You betcha. But then again, that's what the death penalty is all about.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Look at the case of a Florida youth who was positivley identified as the shooter of a white tourist by the women's husband who was standing 5 feet away when she was shot. He also signed a confession admitting total guilt. The academy award winning documentry that chonicled this case was amazing, filmed starting with his arrest and all thru his trial, it is one of the most compelling pieces on abuse of powers by police.
"Murder on a Sunday Morning" is a must see film for people on both sides of the death penalty.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/022301/met_5474236.html

It's kind of funny that all theses conservatives live by the mantra that the goverment can not get ANYTHING right until it comes to executing a person.

I don't trust the government. I certainly don't trust them with the power of life and death.

I'm not sure why you're trying to stereotype people.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I would say the vast majority of people on the right support capital punishment, I am not trying to stereotype anybody.

Gallup poll from 10/07:

81% in favor of capital punishment who identiied themselves as republicans as oppose to 60% who identified as democrats.

And in the latest news, two days before the panel was to meet to review the current review of the evidence in the Willingham case, the governor of Texas decided that the board needed to be rearranged.

Their terms were apparently up, but the timing appears to be rather politically motivated. It's not like the expiration of the terms was a surprise.

What I find to be really interesting (and somewhat disturbing) is that this was on the front of two separate sections in this morning's paper, but the only thing I find in the online edition now is a link to a CNN article.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You had 13 years to prove him innocent.
You failed to do so.
The original verdict stands.

Well, that's OK then. No harm done.
Guilty until proven innocent.

We'll just execute all person's in even marginal cases, that way we're sure to get the guilty ones.

Yet another perfect example of why we need to abolish the death penalty. If for no other reason than it cannot be undone.
The Texas legal system is a stellar example of mind numbing incompetence and unfairness.
>:(

And if that's not enough, how about the cost? 2-3 times. Look at Terry Nichols, it cost OK 4 mill to get more life sentences.... I wonder how else OK could have used that money? Death penalty advocates are simply venge fanatics.

It's kind of funny that all theses conservatives live by the mantra that the goverment can not get ANYTHING right until it comes to executing a person.

I don't trust the government. I certainly don't trust them with the power of life and death.

I'm not sure why you're trying to stereotype people.

He didn't name you, he just addressed general data. I'm liberal and pro-gun, would I get mad if people stated that most liberals are anti-gun rts, hence since I'm liberal I must be? No way. I think it's refreshing that there are conservatives that are anti-DP.

And in the latest news, two days before the panel was to meet to review the current review of the evidence in the Willingham case, the governor of Texas decided that the board needed to be rearranged.

Their terms were apparently up, but the timing appears to be rather politically motivated.

You don't say!:o:o

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Preventing people from hurting each other is almost the only morally justifiable role of government.

Also, preventing God from hurting people should be a role of the government.
A man without a mustache is like a hamburger without a bun, Un-American.

Pretty clear that Gov.Perry is afraid the truth will come out.

Pretty clear that Gov.Perry is afraid the truth will come out

Current betting is actually that he's only afraid the truth will come out before the March primaries.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

it really might be that he was innocent of the crime for which he was executed.

You had 13 years to present evidence and get a new trial. You didn't. So you can't complain now when the original sentence is carried out.

Your positition here does seem rather inconsistent with your position on hearing all the evidence in a lawsuit involving your favorite drop zone.

Isn't it funny how all the moral crusaders against the death penalty only show up after someone is executed? If they really cared about innocent human life, they would spend their time getting retrials and appeals for people they believe to be innocent, so that the death penalty would no longer be an issue. But instead, they just let the men die, then prance and scream about how unjust it is. The fact is, these anti-death penalty folks are just using these men to further their personal political goals, and really don't give a damn about the human being who sits in prison.

Have you never heard of the Innocence Project?

http://www.innocenceproject.org/

I have a feeling that you would just enjoy seeing people hang in the town square, regardless if they are guilty or not.
I am for the death penalty if the person being tried is without doubt guilty (video, caught in the act, body in the deep freezer...), however when police and prosecutors hide evidence, and/or fabricate evidence just to get a conviction then they should be put on trial themselves. If found guilty they should given the same sentence, life or death.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Isn't it funny how all the moral crusaders against the death penalty only show up after someone is executed? If they really cared about innocent human life, they would spend their time getting retrials and appeals for people they believe to be innocent, so that the death penalty would no longer be an issue.

You clearly know absolutely nothing about anti-death penalty advocacy/action groups other than your own preconceived (and incorrect) notions.

I had a friend who spent about 10 years as a death penalty appeals lawyer. Not to get them out of jail -- she said that the vast majority were not fit for society. But she said that most of them had been so incredibly abused when they were children that it was also not fit to kill them for not having been strong enough to turn out OK after abusive childhoods. Most people are that strong.

Wendy P.

I had a friend who spent about 10 years as a death penalty appeals lawyer. Not to get them out of jail -- she said that the vast majority were not fit for society. But she said that most of them had been so incredibly abused when they were children that it was also not fit to kill them for not having been strong enough to turn out OK after abusive childhoods. Most people are that strong.

Wow! I bet she has some stories. I imagine that would be an incredibly difficult job. Thanks to her for doing it.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying