happythoughts

sea kittens?

clicky
Our local fishing bridge...

The former car-traffic bridge reopened a decade ago as a pedestrian route renamed the Friendship Trail Bridge. The converted 53-year-old span was getting 600,000 visits a year from enthusiastic riders, skaters and strollers until the discovery of structural decay abruptly closed it last year. Since then, hundreds have crammed into public meetings hoping to save the bridge.

Last week, PETA helpfully offered a "win-win solution" to save the bridge. PETA would "contribute the funds necessary to keep this community treasure open" in exchange for:

1. Renaming it the Sea Kitten Memorial Trail Bridge to help "encourage children to think of fish as 'sea kittens,' " and no, I did not make that up.

2. And this is the biggie, ending more than a half-century of rich local tradition by banning fishing on the old Gandy.

Sea kittens ?
Sure... almost exactly the same.
:D

Perhaps it will encourage young children to liberate their kittens back to the sea where they will frolic happily with the other sea kittens (and sea puppies, and sea parakeets)

But seriously, if they're going to pay for it, and their price is no more fishing while keeping it open for everything else, that seems like a reasonable deal. If fishermen are worried about it, perhaps they could raise half the money contingent on it being open for fishing (although perhaps they could agree not to catch any kittens.)

I'm a member of PETA and I think the sea kittens thing is ridiculous. It's their way of trying to make people look at fish differently. The theory is that we're more connected to animals we can pet and make eye contact with. Really, sea kittens? :S

Some of what they come up with is iffy, but from a general animal rights perspective I agree with the mission. Keep the bridge open, there are plenty of places to fish and the name will give everyone something to make fun of.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

You really need to rethink your membership, act locally and actually do something that benefits animals.

PETA is nothing more than a bunch of egotistical whack jobs hell bent of fucking up everything we know.

They murder animals by the hundreds, after rescuing them from no kill shelters.

I would gladly curb one of them if I got my chance.

I like animals better than people, I eat meat as well, I also hunt, but I draw the line at taking peoples money and acting like lunatics with it.

PETA members wear leather, they eat meat as well, many of them have been exposed.

Get away from those fruitcakes please.

Anyone caught euthanising animals that could have been adopted out, should die a cruel violent death.

PETA reminds me why I hate humans.

What does that mean? I'm not familiar wiith the meaning of "curbing" people.

Pretty horrible way to separate your jaw from your skull. "Curb Kiss" is what I usually hear it being called. the victim opens his mouth and places it around the edge of the street curb as if to bite it, and the guy kicks down on the back of his head. It breaks his teeth and done correctly, tears the muscles that hold the jawbone to the skull. It was demonstrated in the movie "American History X".

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln