Darius11

Not Everything in America has to be for profit

Both companies are currently in the testing phase for their H1N1 vaccines.

And certain people will say they should give that drug away because the people it will save. Those greedy bastards design a drug to save lives and then have the balls to actually charge for it!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

And certain people will say they should give that drug away because the people it will save. Those greedy bastards design a drug to save lives and then have the balls to actually charge for it!

What's worse is that they'll probably use the profits to research new life saving medications! Pure Evil!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I do, quite honestly, believe that the news available to the average person is both of higher quality and greater content than 20 years ago, or 40 years ago.

More content yes, higher quality i do not agree.

The problem there is the huge number of laws on the books that criminalize non-violent and victimless behavior. That's not a conspiracy by corporations who want to run for-profit prisons. It's a problem with people pushing their morality on others.

I don’t think a corporation will make ethical decisions over making profit if it came down to it. In the fields mentioned that can be a humane catastrophe. Much different then you not watching a comodian, or choosing a different restaurant because you didn’t like them.

Sure. Don't you want to give him an incentive to do that? The best way to incentivize people is to offer them a personal reward. I'd like to have an effective tool for motivating my doctor to do the job. The best tool for that is my ability to pay him (or not) based on his doing the job. If I'm free to see another doctor, then I can pick the one who I think is doing the best job. If I don't have that freedom, what incentive does he have to do a good job for me (aside from personal feelings, which can be a powerful motivator for him)?

Tom When you go to a drs. You go because they are an expert and your not( or at least I am not a dr)

So I go there trusting that he will do the right thing for my health not his pocket. His motivation should be his customer satisfaction. However if his profit becomes the only motive he might sacrifice what’s perfect for you for the money.

Just think Drs get an incentive if they prescribe drug A. Now drug A might work for a patient but drug B has less side effects. I want my Dr to think what’s right for me and not what rights for his wallet.

To know if he is making the right decision for me I have to trust him, because he is an expert in medicine and I am not. But if my expert that I trust is motivated only by cash………….that will cause problems.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Yep and cretin people will say let only the ones who can afford it live and the others to die.

The sad part is that’s ok with you as long as it doesn’t effect you or the people you love.

By Mark Mulligan, MD

Since the mid-1990s, thousands of patients with HIV/AIDS have been successfully treated with combinations of drugs known as “highly active antiretroviral therapy.” In many cases, these drugs have turned a disease that used to be a sure death sentence into a treatable, chronic condition.

Unfortunately, in spite of widespread efforts to prevent HIV, 33 million people around the world are infected, and in the U.S. alone the CDC estimates that about 56,000 persons are newly infected with HIV each year. Since therapy does not cure HIV, every new infection means a person must be treated for life with costly medications.

For this reason, the world desperately needs an HIV vaccine. Historically, vaccines have been our most effective weapons against infectious diseases. Unfortunately, over the past five years, two large clinical trials of HIV vaccines have failed to demonstrate efficacy of the candidate being tested, leaving many to wonder if we should simply give up on an HIV vaccine altogether.

AIDS is too widespread and too devastating a disease to abandon the quest for a vaccine. Scientists have learned many important lessons from past vaccine trials, and there is no reason to give up now.

We should remember that our most important vaccines took decades to develop. The virus that causes polio was discovered in the 1930s. The first vaccines tested in the 1930s were ineffective. In the 1940s and early 1950s, summertime polio epidemics caused fear and panic in many countries. Fortunately, this vaccine research continued despite initial failures.

Progress was based on small but steady scientific advances such as the discovery in 1949 of how to grow the polio virus in the lab. Six years later, Jonas Salk’s inactivated, injected polio vaccine became available. By 1957 the number of new polio cases annually had fallen by 90 percent and the iron lung became a museum relic.

Scientists at the Emory Vaccine Center and the Yerkes National Primate Research Center have been working on an HIV/AIDS vaccine for a decade. Based on DNA and viral vector technology, the vaccine is licensed to the Atlanta biotechnology company GeoVax to bring it to the marketplace.

The vaccine has made it through several early stages of clinical trials and is now being tested in a Phase II clinical trial to understand its effectiveness through the National Institutes of Health-funded HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN). In Atlanta, Emory Vaccine Center’s Hope Clinic is the HVTN clinical site. There are other HIV vaccines also being tested. Another Phase II is undergoing a clinical trial through the HVTN network to test a different HIV vaccine, this one developed at the National Institutes of Health.

As a doctor working with individuals who have HIV or AIDS, I know the toll this disease takes on them and their loved ones. I am very hopeful that an effective HIV vaccine will be developed, and I am proud to be on the front lines of that effort.

Both of the new HIV vaccine clinical trials are aimed at healthy adults at low risk for acquiring HIV. Before we can have a vaccine that protects everyone around the globe, we need volunteers locally who are willing to step forward to participate in clinical trials and help reach this goal.

http://blogs.ajc.com/better-health/2009/05/27/doctor-is-in-when-will-we-get-aids-vaccine/
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Great article of a Dr who is really concerned about the PEOPLE who are hurt by this disease.

From the article it didn’t sound like this guy is a corporate guy.

This is how corp. work.

We found a cure for aids. Great we can make one billion dollars but we lose 12 billion in annual sales not to mention lose all old and new customers. FUCK THE CURE

That’s the way a corp. works, I simply don’t want that to be the case.

That might seem funny to some but that’s where we are heading. And yes corp have no soul which is great for making money however not when it can cause humane disasters.

Sorry dude I do not share your cynical attitude.

For profit militaries? Ya might want to research what occured in the 90's in Sierra Leone and the atrocities the Revolutionary United Front commited and how Executive Outcomes put a stop to it. Then ask yourself why it was that a private military company was required to put an end to such atrocities in Sierra Leone when NATO was doing the exact same thing in Bosnia.

Edited to add: Then consider how much it would have cost for America to do the same job versus 200 Executive Outcome employees.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Yep and cretin people will say let only the ones who can afford it live and the others to die.

Freudian slip, or deliberate?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You guys really don’t see that caring for only profit is not the only way to be successful especially in things that require integrity.

You seriously can't see that you can have integrity and make a profit?

Is it cheaper to let people go for none violent crimes or keep them in jail?

You seem to be missing the concept of crime and punishment. You think that Madoff should be allowed out?

Same with Health care, if it is about profit there is no money in a cure

Total BS... If I had a cure for Cancer, I would be one rich mofo.

If they find a cure or a vaccine for AIDS for example they lose all the money they make on the drugs that keep you alive.

And they make all that money from selling that vaccine. WOW think of all the money you would get if every AIDS patient used your drug....

Again Tom you have sold your soul to your idealism.

The irony of that statement is off the charts. You have not?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Your doctor (and everyone else in the world) is going to be motivated by something. I'd prefer to know what's motivating him, and be able to influence it.

Just saying "I don't want him motivated" isn't going to work very well. If that's the case, why should he show up to work at all?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

How much does Bill Maher make?

His job is to make you laugh, if you don’t think he is funny you don’t buy his tickets.

When corporations run our prisons, then I can be arrested for a stupid law that’s only kept on the books because this corporation makes billions of dollars on it. The marijuana laws a great example of this.

Prove it - prove Fed.gov is making money keeping people in prison.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I have tried both links Tom i get a blank page.

http://webreprints.djreprints.com/2017630549095.pdf

http://webreprints.djreprints.com/2017630549095.pdf

Is that working?

No it says done but it is blank. I have adobe so i have no idea why its not working.

Right click his link and "save target as", then open it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

We found a cure for aids. Great we can make one billion dollars but we lose 12 billion in annual sales not to mention lose all old and new customers. FUCK THE CURE

That’s the way a corp. works, I simply don’t want that to be the case.

That might seem funny to some but that’s where we are heading. And yes corp have no soul which is great for making money however not when it can cause humane disasters.

You think the reason we (the world, not corp america) hasnt found a cure for aids is because of lost profit?

If that's the case then why have we (the world, not corp america) found cures or vacines for other deadly diseases?

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.