JohnRich

Should cops shoot at suspected felons fleeing in cars?

They are FLEEING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At that point whehter or not they did something else wrong they broke the law by FLEEING and that are not just suspected of FLEEING. ***

Maybe they are and maybe they aren't. Could be that they happen to be in proximity of a crime and are innocently going about their daily business.
In any case I don't recal running from the cops as being a capital crime and certainly I don't trust some near minumum wage civil servant recently returned from Iraq to be judge ,jury, and executioner acting on what little information he may have recieved over a staticky radio from dispatch. YOMV

Blues,
Cliff

then don't run from them and they won't shoot. And it is against the law to run from the police. how would going about your daily business near a crime be like running from the police?

/reply]
then don't run from them and they won't shoot.

That's not always true.

And it is against the law to run from the police.

It may be " against the law " but in most jurisdictions it is a misdemeanor not a capital crime punishable by the death penalty.

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

They don't ?? Shocked

Nope, and yet another one of your falsely held beliefs about the US and guns falls victim to the light of truth.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

>300-400 poeple die annually from chases. If you stop the chase from
>ever happening then these people don't die.

Right, but shooting at cars won't stop many of them, since most cars don't bleed or feel fear - and most cops don't carry RPG's. And if police shot at every car that wouldn't pull over, you'd see a lot of dead innocent people. If you really feel we must stop this there's only one answer - BAN CARS!

> How many people die from stray police bullets?

A few; probably less than a dozen. The number is low because police don't do foolish things like shoot at fleeing suspects in public places.

But guilty of what? I've run from the police after a BASE jump. Does that make me worthy of being shot?

Ok, let's jump to the "Jack Bauer" scenario;

You see suspects fleeing the scene where a nuclear time bomb has been left. Only "they" know the code to stop the bomb from going off. The suspects are driving in an industrial area with no bystanders in danger of getting hurt by a stray bullet.

Would it hurt to try to disable the vehicle by shooting at it?

Only if you get to torture them for the codes afterward. Did you say there were two of them? Will I get to kill one in front of the other, in a particularly horrible fashion, to coerce him? Oh, this is going to be fun!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I am sure you ran because you knew that if you didn't crash then the consequenses weren't big enough.

Well, had I "crashed" I'm sure I would have gotten some scrapes and bruises.

Did I mention that I ran? As in, moved my legs in a repetitive motion to propel my body forward?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Is the risk to the innocent public from police gunfire, and the risk of mistakes, worth the effort to stop fleeing felons?

Fleeing "suspected" felons

They are FLEEING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At that point whehter or not they did something else wrong they broke the law by FLEEING and that are not just suspected of FLEEING. Why should innocent people DIE because somebody broke the law by running from the police? They are FLEEING and therefore broke the law. Whats the problem?

The problem is that "flight to avoid apprehension" for a non-capital offense is generally not itself a capital offense. Police use of deadly force in the field in self-defense or the defense of others is, under the proper circumstances, permissible. Summary execution is not.

They are FLEEING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At that point whehter or not they did something else wrong they broke the law by FLEEING and that are not just suspected of FLEEING. ***

Maybe they are and maybe they aren't. Could be that they happen to be in proximity of a crime and are innocently going about their daily business.
In any case I don't recal running from the cops as being a capital crime and certainly I don't trust some near minumum wage civil servant recently returned from Iraq to be judge ,jury, and executioner acting on what little information he may have recieved over a staticky radio from dispatch. YOMV

Blues,
Cliff

then don't run from them and they won't shoot. And it is against the law to run from the police. how would going about your daily business near a crime be like running from the police?

Of course, you could be shot dead just for getting your ID out, like Amadou Diallo.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.