penniless

More "Do as I say, not as I do" from the religious right

www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gkzL-yKLwhNjJeXBMCZODK0KbQnAD98SNLKO1

For much of his public career, Sen. John Ensign has appeared a model of the religious right. By this week, he had become just another politician diminished by scandal. Rattled, humbled and alone at the podium, Ensign acknowledged to reporters an extramarital affair, the sort of moral failing he's criticized in the past.

The Nevada Republican once called on President Bill Clinton to resign, declaring "the truth must come out." In October 2007, he was sharply critical of former Sen. Larry Craig, of Idaho, calling the Republican's arrest in an airport bathroom sex sting "embarrassing for the Senate."

Hypocrite!

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent."
-Senator Joe Biden

Mahatma Gandhi "ran a gas station down in Saint Louis."

-Senator Hillary Clinton

"You'd find these potentates from down in Africa, you know, rather than eating each other, they'd just come up and get a good square meal in Geneva."
-- Fritz Hollings (D, S.C.)

"Is you their black-haired answer-mammy who be smart? Does they like how you shine their shoes, Condoleezza? Or the way you wash and park the whitey's cars?"

-- Left-wing radio host Neil Rogers

(On Clarence Thomas) "A handkerchief-head, chicken-and-biscuit-eating Uncle Tom." -- Spike Lee

But she is a typical white person..." -- Barack Obama
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Oh, I'm so sorry - I was following your posting style.

Maybe Mr. Ensign was following the marriage style of Mr. Clinton, Mr. Edwards, Reverend Jackson.... of course, Mr. Ensign had the class to RESIGN his position - something the Dems never seem to do.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Of course! I've found a general rule that those who openly speak out against one form of personal conduct or another for whatever moral or societal reason - from either right or left - are most likely to be engaging in it.

An anti-drug activist got busted in Los Angeles for selling drugs last week. Yep. Actually, it was gank.

A Nobel Peace Prize winner for his work on the environment flies private jets and uses more dirty energy in his house in a month than an average home uses in a year. Yet, there is justification for it.

These are not surprising. Or shocking. There's a democratic congressman who's bribery trial just started.

WHo is suprised by these things anymore? It should be no shock.

In fact, a study released a couple of years ago in the Journal of Applied Psychology found a link between hypocris and high morals. the study found that a feeling of moral superiority is a substantial factor leading to unethical acts. Because these people view themselves as elites and have a superiority, they are able to find justifications and differences in their behaviors.

Often, I think the outward holding onesself out is either a way to deflect attention from what they're doing (he wouldn't do that) or a way to justify to themselves that they are really are a good person.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I am impressed, Mike! Only 12 minutes for a "democrats did it first" post.

To everyone else -

It's getting to be like a broken record. An evangelist comes out against gay marriage - you know he's paying a gay hooker in cocaine on the side. A candidate blasts their opponent on earmarks - and she's getting them by the truckload. A politician comes out in defense of the "sanctity of marriage" - you gotta know he's doing an intern. And, of course, if he claims that Clinton should have resigned his office over his affair? It's a guarantee he's not going to resign.

Yeah, it must suck when I show the hypocrisy of the statements, huh?

Physician, heal thyself.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Yeah, it must suck when I show the hypocrisy of the statements, huh?

It must suck even more to not understand the meaning of the words you use!

Must be nice to have a green name and be able to make PA's whenever you want, Bill - care to make another one and go for the trifecta?

Racism yesterday, stupidity today - what insult are you going to come up with for tomorrow?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Cherry picking is easy. You want a post showing the other side doing what ever the hell they want?

But, I like funny threads, Thanks:)

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

More like a "democrats did it TOO" post in response to the Obvious Intent of the OP.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I am constantly awed by the blinders people dawn when their concepts of reality are questioned. Two wrongs have never made a right. When anyone invokes the "why not the outrage when your side did it" justification of hypocrisy they do so at the risk of showing the world just how fucking stupid they are.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

In fact, a study released a couple of years ago in the Journal of Applied Psychology found a link between hypocris and high morals. the study found that a feeling of moral superiority is a substantial factor leading to unethical acts. Because these people view themselves as elites and have a superiority, they are able to find justifications and differences in their behaviors.

Interesting. Do you have a link or remember any of the authors?

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I am constantly awed by the blinders people dawn when their concepts of reality are questioned. Two wrongs have never made a right.

Well, no shit - show me where I said what Ensign did was right or good?

When anyone invokes the "why not the outrage when your side did it" justification of hypocrisy they do so at the risk of showing the world just how fucking stupid they are.

Thanks for the PA - would you apply the same insult to those who say "look at what THEY did" while ignoring the people on THEIR side that did the same thing? Or is that reserved for people like me that point out that hypocrisy?

And again - show where I said what Ensign did was right or good.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm on my blackberry so no link. I'll try to find it. I think it was toward the end of 07.

Note: another lapse of ethics was often found in "the end justifies the means" morality. It is certainly seen on both right and left. Playing by the rules is no good if it means the end goal is not accomplished.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

More "Do as I say, not as I do" from the religious right

Religious Right? Why is it always the right that are religious? No liberals go to church? I find that hard to believe. Just another blank label on people that comes from the side who say I have to like and accept everyone.:S
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I did not intend to reply to you specifically. All thou I understand that replying to your post gave that impression.

"would you apply the same insult to those who say "look at what THEY did" while ignoring the people on THEIR side that did the same thing?"

Yes

I have a question.( I truly do not intend for this to be an attack.) Have you ever taken a critical thinking class?

Edited spelling.

Wow, you're response implies a unequivocal no.

Perhaps you should explain just what about your post would require any critical thinking skills to decipher. (hence my bit'o'snark about 'nuance')
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706