AggieDave

Flying with a firearm is easy

Yup. Not on your person, but checked in your baggage. I hadn't flown commercially in eleven years, so I was concerned about problems with TSA in regards to the pistol I had in my luggage. I could have tried to get approved for on plane carry, but having discussed this with some other people that had successfully gone through the process, its a huge headache.

Over the past few years I have heard horror stories about TSA damaging and opening sport skydiving rigs that were checked in their luggage, that had me concerned, even though I didn't take a rig on this trip.

This trip has shown me that apparently its easier to fly with a pistol then with a skydiving rig.:o
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I always assumed it was the theft potential.

I was very concerned about the possibility of theft. Upon retaining control of my baggage after the flight, the first thing I did was check for the pistol. If it had been stolen, I had the serial number and digital photos available for an immediate report. A limited number of people deal with luggage and theft of a firearm is a big deal, so I was prepared. I read a recent (in the last month) article about that exact scenario occurring. The suspect was found, arrested and the pistol recovered in less than a day! I think that it was a TSA employee and federal charges were filed, not just state level theft charges.

I found that the process was painless and easy. The steps were easy, TSA case (Pelican case, for example), TSA lock, unloaded and ammo stored separately in a ammo specific container (original box or ammo carrier).

I also found what I could and could not carry onto the plane was exceptionally stupid. A Surefire G2 LED, 50ft of 550 chord, a trauma kit (pressure bandages, Quickclot, latex gloves, etc) and a set of keys. In a set of trained and determined hands the above can do more good then a damned nail file. That was all in my carry on. Mainly because I didn't have room in my checked luggage, but secondly because all of those items are exceptionally useful.

I ly with mine in locked brief case, wth my tol belt and clips, ammo etc..in checked baggage. They finally allowed Americans who work i Saudi to carry their weapons, until then there wasn't just too many Americans wlling to travel unarmen, espcilly since all of the security a check points had "Greaseguns-TEch 10's & SP-9's) hanging off of hem We have to keep documentation & rigger locks on tem,but hh??
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

On KallendAir I can take whatever I like.

Yup, as I have done on various GA aircraft over the years, but on the commercial side things have gotten a little out of hand. With TSA's hiring processes and "training" who needs a terrorist?

Yup, as I have done on various GA aircraft over the years, but on the commercial side things have gotten a little out of hand. With TSA's hiring processes and "training" who needs a terrorist?

Did you notice my plane was Made in Texas?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

With that light and a large, lit candle, you could illuminate a small closet.

HA! That's my "throw down" light, one that wouldn't hurt too bad if it got lost. At work I have a Surefire E2D and the G2 on my person, a TLR on my pistol and a Surefire on my rifle. Then a Stinger and a SL-20 in my bag for backup and other duties. You really can't have too many flashlights, ammo or knives.:P

Side note, the LED bulbs "punch" through auto window tint better then an incandescent bulb, although the incandescent bulbs light up the corners of a room better. Different tools for different situations, right?

Hi Dave,
I really like that part about with TSAs' hiring processes and "training," who needs a terrorist!!!!!!!!!!!!!hahahahaha!!! That's the best I've heard yet!! TSA and the Dem's, Usama's best friends!! They're eating right out of his hands!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Question,

In another forum the question was asked about general aviation and firearms. Any restrictions on general aviation firearms on a commercial airport? At the local airport they've upgraded the GA access site, require stop and wait so vehicles can't follow through the gate, etc. In theory you could cross to the terminal, enter the secure area through the gate doors with arriving passenges and have a gun in the secure area.

Tried to find any regs but searches didn't work well.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Dave,
I really like that part about with TSAs' hiring processes and "training," who needs a terrorist!!!!!!!!!!!!!hahahahaha!!! That's the best I've heard yet!! TSA and the Dem's, Usama's best friends!! They're eating right out of his hands!!

You seem to forget that TSA and its procedures are products of the Bush administration.

This trip has shown me that apparently its easier to fly with a pistol then with a skydiving rig.:o

Years ago, flying SLC to DEN on business for a few weeks, I declared and checked a revolver at the baggage counter. I was a little uncomfortable with some of the looks I got, so when I slid my parachute bag across the counter, I didn't say $hit about what was in that one.:D

Fear of theft. I only check the cheap guns. The pricey ones stay home in the safe. Cool

You know, I did take a $400 pistol and not a $1200 pistol, even though I carry the $1200 pistol more often when in non-regs.

If you're really scared you could always by a Hi-Point 9mm! The slide freak'n rattles on the frame and its made of magnesium! Wow...

You can pick them up for well under $200 and its a full sized pistol.:o