funjumper101

Righties and Torture

you choose to make it a race issue bu putting so many black men in prison :S

I've never met FallingOsh, but I'm skeptical of your claim that he has personally put many black men in prison. How many? In what capacity did he incarcerate them? Was he a police officer? A judge? A juror?

I have actually never put a person in jail. I've filled out police reports in two different cases that aided in restraining orders and I believe an eventual arrest. Both men were white, not that it matters, so I guess I'm racist towards the white man. :S

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

How do you propose (im asking for your opinion, not a copy and paste from alternet) we make the prison system "fair?" Only fill prisons according to quotas? Let people go without charge if they're a certain skin color? Arrest more people of a different race to even out the prison population?

Just interested in your solution.

you use a lot of words lawrocket - but have very little to actually say.

Wrong.

nice one :)
(short and pithy)

I'm an asshole. It comes naturally.

Ooh! Ooh! That's a Personal Attack! Against someone in these forums!

Boy oh boy, you're gonna get in trouble!

How do you propose (im asking for your opinion, not a copy and paste from alternet) we make the prison system "fair?" Only fill prisons according to quotas? Let people go without charge if they're a certain skin color? Arrest more people of a different race to even out the prison population?

increase the minimum wage. implement a national health service. reform the drug laws :)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

When you get your "SI" let me know and then I will actually pay attention to what you say.

aka "La la la la la... I can't hear you".

Since when did you pay attention to anyone whose opinion differed from yours?

Pray tell us what the purpose of the "captured" part of SERE training is, in your mind.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

increase the minimum wage. implement a national health service. reform the drug laws :)

Force companies to pay more, crush the economy further with a half-assed healthcare plan, and make drugs legal.

Then people won't commit crimes, but when they do it will be equal from all races.

Got it. I'll write my congressman tomorrow and suggest the plan.

I'll write my congressman tomorrow and suggest the plan.

good for you :)

Mass incarceration, Western argues, also renders invisible a substantial portion of American poverty. At the height of the tech boom in 2000, he points out, 65 percent of black male high school dropouts weren't working. Government statistics, however, said the unemployment level of this group was 33 percent, because government surveys exclude prisoners.

At the root of prison's broader social impact lies its lingering effect on individual lives. In an ideal penal system, prisoners might exit the system having paid their debt to society and be more or less restored to their previous status as free men and women. But Pager's book demonstrates just how detached from reality that view is. She had four college students, two black and two white, pose as applicants for low-level jobs in Milwaukee (excluding jobs where a criminal record would have disqualified them).

They used résumés that were nearly identical - high school degrees, steady progress from entry-level work to a supervisory position - except that in some cases the applicant had a drug conviction in his past (possession with intent to distribute) for which he served an 18-month sentence and then behaved perfectly on parole.

In surveys conducted by Pager, 62 percent of Milwaukee employers said they'd consider hiring an applicant with a nonviolent drug offense in his past. But in her field study, Pager found that her black applicants with criminal records got called for an interview - or to interview on the spot, as they applied in person - a mere 5 percent of the time. That compared with 14 percent for the black applicants without a criminal record. Meanwhile, the white applicants with a record were called back 17 percent of the time, compared with 34 percent for the white men lacking the blotch on their résumé. "Two strikes" - blackness and a record - "and you're out" is how Pager summarizes her findings. (Pager has replicated this study in New York City, with similar results.)

Job prospects for black ex-prisoners in Milwaukee may be even worse in the future, Pager argues in "Marked," because while the vast majority of job growth is in the suburbs, the gap between employers' receptiveness to black and white ex-convicts is even wider there.

Western explores the same set of post-prison issues on a broader statistical canvas. He found that whites, Hispanics, and blacks all face a hit in their wages of about a third, relative to their peers, when they emerge from prison, and also work fewer weeks per year. Their peers will see significant raises from ages 25 to 35, but the ex-prisoners won't, widening the gap. Former prisoners, too, are far less likely ever to marry, but no less likely to have kids, meaning that prisons contribute to the epidemic of female-headed, single-parent households. (Some 9 percent of all black children now have a father in jail.)

Sociologists and a few politicians are not the only ones aware of these trends, argues Lawrence Bobo. Black Americans interpret them as evidence of stark racism, according to surveys he's done. Seventy-nine percent of white Americans, for example, think drug laws are enforced fairly, compared with 34 percent of black Americans.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/09/23/life_sentence/

Wrong.

(short and pithy)

I like short AND pithy comments.

Much better than lengthy and pithy:S

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

increase the minimum wage.

forcing small shops to close or lay off employees because they can't afford the increased payroll. Good move in this economy.

implement a national health service.

going to tax the crap out of the minimum wage earners who's salary you increased to pay for it? Of course not, because they'll get the most benefit out of it.

reform the drug laws :)

one out of three... at least it's a good one
--
Rob

Wrong.

(short and pithy)

I like short AND pithy comments.

Much better than lengthy and pithy:S

yep, got me :)