TomAiello

Do you know the difference between the Special Olympics and the Paralympics?

It's pretty obvious from the careful, deliberate and vetted "apology" statements from the White House that neither Barack Obama nor anyone on his staff knows the difference. They not only confused which of the events is for those with physical disabilities and which is for those with mental disabilities, but also attributed an official Paralympic Slogan ("Triumph of the Human Spirit") to the Special Olympics.

Note that I'm not talking about the President's offhand comment, which I don't think is a big deal at all. It just bothers me that at a time when they know public scrutiny will follow the issue, they still can't get things properly identified.

Let me further clarify that I do think this is actually a fairly important issue, because of the number of times I've seen someone with a physical disability being treated as if they were mentally disabled--being in a wheelchair (for example) doesn't mean that you are not a rational, functioning, intelligent adult.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

A great documentary worth mentioning in this thread.

Murderball

Love the movie. I actually have a couple of friends who are going to compete in the next Paralympic Games. One with Quad Rugby. The other with Cycling.

Check out Aaron Baker's web sites. He'll be cycling in the next Paralympic Games. Aaron is one incredible man who, after being told he'd never walk again, found the way to continue his rehab on his own and made it back onto his feet again. He's now developed the technique he used and is starting a gym called "CORE" to help other individuals.

http://www.aaronbakers.com/
http://www.riseabovetour.com/blog/
http://www.corecenters.info/

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I didn't know the difference. Is this something everyone should know?

Paralympics I could guess. Special doesn't really tell me anything. Until this post I would have guessed they were a single event.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

This is just my answer to the question...

Paralympics: An event for competition where members are paralyzed in some way (having to use wheelchairs or some other means)

Special Olympics: An event for competition where members have some soft of mental disablility where their brains dont function with the same speed as someone who doesnt have that particular ailment.

Paralympics: An event for competition where members are paralyzed in some way (having to use wheelchairs or some other means)

Special Olympics: An event for competition where members have some soft of mental disablility where their brains dont function with the same speed as someone who doesnt have that particular ailment.

The Special Olympics is an organization created to help those with intellectual disabilities develop self-confidence, social skills and a sense of personal accomplishment. The emphasis is on helping people with intellectual disabilities grow, learn and feel good about themselves.

The Paralympics is a sporting event held every four years for competitors with physical disabilities. It's a real athletic competition, and competitors are actually very serious athletes, most of whom are easily more fit, better trained and more dedicated than most of the people who read this forum. In the words of one competitor (you can hear them in the trailer linked above) "we're not going for a hug."

If you have time, watch the Murderball trailer linked above (or better yet, the whole movie).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Before reading this thread, no, I didn't know the difference. Mostly because I didn't know what the Paralympics was. (Though I guess I must have at least heard of it before, seeing as I've picked up "Murderball" several times at the video store and almost rented it.)