Amazon

I dont think he likes W too much

Unfortunately for you, most rational people realize he was not intending to injure, but to insult.

I doubt the guy had any prior intent at all, I suspect he just got mad and threw the shoe. Much like flipping some idiot driver on the road. Or punching a drunk at the bar that won't leave your friends alone. (that was for Kallend so he can call GWB a drunk)

I doubt very much there was any "higher" meaning or "lower" purpose to the act - no matter how much each camp really wishes for one or the other.

This comes from his family (who some of you have claimed were killed by US bombs) and co-workers.

Zaidi's aunt Umm Zaman, who lives in the same building, described her nephew's deed as the realisation of a long-held wish.

"For a long time he has wanted to hit Bush with a shoe, and at last his dream has come true," she said.

Those quotes kinda make this look a little froced. [url http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2008/12/200812182353218656.html [/url] Anyone think he's really sorry? ]

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

reminds me of a quote - "the only thing in common with all your failed relationships is you"

What the fuck are you talking about?

I must be stupid because that comment made no sense whatsoever. I'm only responding to try to figure out if it was a lame attempt at an insult or a lame attempt at a joke.

- Dan G

Unfortunately for you, most rational people realize he was not intending to injure, but to insult.

I doubt the guy had any prior intent at all, I suspect he just got mad and threw the shoe. Much like flipping some idiot driver on the road. Or punching a drunk at the bar that won't leave your friends alone. (that was for Kallend so he can call GWB a drunk)

You don't have to be nice just because it's Christmas.:)

well, I do believe he tipped a few drinks in his youth... (or more)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

reminds me of a quote - "the only thing in common with all your failed relationships is you"

What the fuck are you talking about?

I must be stupid because that comment made no sense whatsoever. I'm only responding to try to figure out if it was a lame attempt at an insult or a lame attempt at a joke.

that's pretty rude, nicely done, but you do better with high end rudeness, rather than this style

look, the comment was that multiple people are getting the same gist from your positions and you continue to blame them for misunderstanding your point. Maybe the issue is your inability to get your "deeper" points across rather than the rest of us misreading you.

So, now you can respond to whatever lameness you feel you been subjected to. or not. You've instigated this as a contentious dialogue, I'm not interested in continuing anymore as it lacks the fun of a good contention, as it is just crap now.

Merry Christmas

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

that's pretty rude, nicely done, but you do better with high end rudeness, rather than this style

look, the comment was that multiple people are getting the same gist from your positions and you continue to blame them for misunderstanding your point. Maybe the issue is your inability to get your "deeper" points across rather than the rest of us misreading you.

So, now you can respond to whatever lameness you feel you been subjected to. or not. You've instigated this as a contentious dialogue, I'm not interested in continuing anymore as it lacks the fun of a good contention, as it is just crap now.

Merry Christmas

Thanks! I try hard to impress.

"Multiple people" would be you and normiss, with whom I had a civil dialouge to better explain my position. I think everyone else got it. I'm not sure what that says about you.

There, is that a more acceptable type of rudeness?

I didn't start the contentiousness, but I'm glad that you want to finish it. There is obviously no point.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

- Dan G

Try this one instead, "Some violence is justifiable given the context."

At least you will admit that it was a violent act.

So who gets to decide which is justifiable? Only you?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Find one instance where I attributed the word "inexcusable" to you. Go ahead...find one.

Simple, you replied to ME.

I am still waiting for you to back up your claim.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I am still waiting for your answer...You are still at an "F"

What would you do if a student threw a shoe at you?

Try to answer that simple question.

If I had ordered the killing of his family (WHICH IS THE CONTEXT HERE), I'd think it a pretty mild response.

If someone had killed members of your family, how would you respond to them? Send a polite letter?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If I had ordered the killing of his family (WHICH IS THE CONTEXT HERE), I'd think it a pretty mild response.

If someone had killed members of your family, how would you respond to them? Send a polite letter?

Fail again.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF A STUDENT THREW A SHOE AT YOU?

Simple question, you look silly avoiding it...And you still get an "F"

Fail again.

It seems you're the one failing now. He did answer the question, albeit with an "if". It's not his fault if you had a different, unspecified "if" in mind.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Fail again.

No Ron, as several people have now pointed out to you, the context is important. Otherwise how can you justify a police shooting? Capital punishment? Armed response to an invasion?
You are just making yourself look very foolish (which is your prerogative).

The Sandal Slinging was not an isolated incident... there is history attached to it. So for your question to the prof' to be valid, there would need to be similar history.... For example, the Mr Kallend would have had to have ordered an attack on your homeland that killed a bunch (and a big bunch) of your innocent mates..... spare a thought.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

The Sandal Slinging was not an isolated incident... there is history attached to it. So for your question to the prof' to be valid, there would need to be similar history.... For example, the Mr Kallend would have had to have ordered an attack on your homeland that killed a bunch (and a big bunch) of your innocent mates..... spare a thought.

Has it occurred to you that Ron's world-view is why he simply can't acknowledge that there is a context to this incident.

He did answer the question, albeit with an "if". It's not his fault if you had a different, unspecified "if" in mind.

Then that is not answering the question.

What is 2 + 2?

"If I had an extra 1 then it would be 5."

Is not answering the question.

No Ron, as several people have now pointed out to you, the context is important.

So you approve of violence when it suits you then?

Nope...You have just shown how you are afraid to answer simple questions.

Do you approve of violence?

Simple questions....Try to give simple answers

Nope...You have just shown how you are afraid to answer simple questions.

And you have been asked questions in response, ones that are actually within the context of this thread. So far the only one looking silly is you.

Even my 4 year old understands the concept of context. (but then he has been tested in the 95th percentile)

He did answer the question, albeit with an "if". It's not his fault if you had a different, unspecified "if" in mind.

What is 2 + 2?

No, it's more like:
Q: "What is 2+2?"
A: "In decimal? 4."

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

What is 2 + 2?

If I take a 1ft long bar and stretch it to 3 ft, I have, by definition, given it a strain of 2. ((3-1)/1 = 2)

If I take that 2 ft bar and stretch it to 6 ft I have given it another strain of 2. ((6-2)/2 = 2)

What is the overall strain? Answer is (6-1)/1 = 5

So when adding strains, 2+2=5 is absolutely correct.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON CONTEXT, as everyone else except you realizes.:P:D

Fail again.

No Ron, as several people have now pointed out to you, the context is important. Otherwise how can you justify a police shooting? Capital punishment? Armed response to an invasion?

Well, I'm back from my 2-week "vacation" from SC.
First thing to do...My apologies to Kallend for dropping the F-Bomb on him. I was wrong to do that.

Now to the subject at hand.
As Kallend pointed out, context is everything here. To throw a shoe at someone who you never saw before and didn't know would be a lot more violent act than throwing a shoe at someone who is beating you to a pulp.
I'll volunteer some context for the Prof. What would you do if you gave out a difficult and time consuming assignment to be completed over a holiday weekend, and in response one of your students threw a sneaker at you while calling you a S.O.B.?
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I'll volunteer some context for the Prof. What would you do if you gave out a difficult and time consuming assignment to be completed over a holiday weekend, and in response one of your students threw a sneaker at you while calling you a S.O.B.?

Hard to say, since in 40 years of teaching I've never given such an assignment, and wouldn't.

Should it ever happen (which it won't), I'll get back to you with the outcome.:)

Here's a hypothetical for you. If you were a cow, would you be a Jersey or a Hereford?

(Hypotherical questions can be really stupid).

Give the student a failing mark since the assignment was one in ballistics, and by failing to demonstrate a correct solution to the problem and missing the professor...he gets an F