riddler

Bush says bible probably not literally true

To summarize, the Bible is accurate except where it's not, it's the infallible word of God except where it's not, and it's the guide to our actions except where it's not.

And we get to choose which is which.

Easy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Kall how did I know you would have something to add that of course has the intention to mock......

Bill, I like the NJKV but my preference is the NASB which uses the same translation style and is really close to the NJKV just a slightly different language.

Cheers
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I like the NJKV but my preference is the NASB which uses the same translation style and is really close to the NJKV just a slightly different language.

For study, I have found that using 4-5 translations parallel to eachother helps in understanding a point that may be confusing or poorly translated. There is software that makes this very simple by highlighting the similarities and differences. It is very powerful software with some pretty impressive features and tons of books included.

Logos Bible software:
http://www.libronix.com/

I like the NASB for study, and use the ESV when just reading.

The ESV is a literal translation like the NASB, but just a little more poetic. A girl I once met described it as a "beautiful translation."

I generally stay away from dynamic equivalency translations like the NIV, but they are great for some and can be helpful in study. ultimately I don't care which translation people read....just grab one and dig in!B|
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I think the earth being created in days is "divine" and I don't believe creation is science. I am talking historical accuracy of what has occured after creation like wars, people, cities, major events excluding the divine. I already stated it still comes down to faith and if you don't believe I have no problem with that nor would I ever look at you or anyone else differently for it. It is my faith and it is okay you have yours whatever it may be. I am not preaching nor am i asking anyone to believe in the divine acts in the Bible I am stating I believe but I am also stating the significance of what the Bible has given us in the way of history and archeology. I first response was to someone basically discounting the Bible entirely I am just stating you cannnot do that.

Bill is more generous than I am. The intent of the NKJV was to update grammar and vocabulary of the old KJV. There was no intention whatsoever to restore historical anomalies, change dates, or facts stated, and is applied mostly to the new testament, not the old. Therefore, the "facts" that were collected together in one book, thousands of years after the events of the old testament, and hundreds of years after the events of the New, revised several times over the next thousand years, and finally revised again into the KJV in the 1600s, only to be revised again in the NKJV in the 1970s and 80s has less truth to it than just about any other document ever created.

For example, I would consider the Great Flood as more historical than divine, but it is nothing more than a repetition of the Deluge, which stems from Greek stories of ancient deities that destroy civilization for retribution of our "sins". It's true that in the past, there have been floods. That's about all the truth you can take away from the story of Noah's Ark.

You are certainly entitled to your belief, but to me, all of the Bible "historians" sound exactly like Chuteless - how many times do you need to revise the story after it's proven false?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

They already and still are rich. they don't need money. There is no other way to argue point, proof wise, Haliburton was the most logical choice. cheney knew co. inside and out.

To those like these men.. there is never enough and they will do anything to acquire more.

Like this guy.

You are certainly entitled to your belief, but to me, all of the Bible "historians" sound exactly like Chuteless - how many times do you need to revise the story after it's proven false?

Please do tell what in the Bible has been proven "false" that is not divine? I do agree that the flood is historical but it is also divine and has never been proven false. as for the NKJV they did correct many of the slanted translations that were done as well as the inaccurate ones. This is not meant to be a dig but how exactly do you know how close our translations are to the original text? Can you read Greek and Hebrew or is this just something that you have been taught or read?
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

Please do tell what in the Bible has been proven "false" that is not divine?

I was referring to the doomsdayers who continue to change their story when the end of the world doesn't actually come on said date. All of the revisions to the Bible are nothing more than a similar pattern of changing the story when it doesn't suit someone.

As far as proving that stories in the Bible didn't happen - as has already been pointed out many times on this forum, one cannot disprove the existence of something. It can only be proved. So far, the Bible's version of the Great Flood (which was a retold story from Ancient Greece), has yet to be proven. If you have "faith" in the story, then good for you. But I take exception when you tell me that something is true when it has not been proven.

if the Bible is not literally true, does that mean the 10 commandments are really only general guidelines?

No, they're meant to be followed as is; but they're only the first 10 Commandments. There are more. For example, Commandment # 24 is Thou shalt never, ever tell thy wife that her ass no longer looks quite as fat as it used to in those jeans.

if the Bible is not literally true, does that mean the 10 commandments are really only general guidelines?

No, they're meant to be followed as is; but they're only the first 10 Commandments. There are more. For example, Commandment # 24 is Thou shalt never, ever tell thy wife that her ass no longer looks quite as fat as it used to in those jeans.

How about the commandments for SC? >Thou shalt include a clear and specific subject line.
Thou shalt edit any quoted text down to the minimum thou needest.

Thou shalt read thine own message thrice before thou sendest it.

Thou shalt ponder how thy recipient might react to thy message.

Thou shalt check thy spelling and thy grammar.

Thou shalt not curse, flame, or USE ALL CAPS. And this is good for a laugh.> http://www.funnyhub.com/videos/pages/ten-commandments.html
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

And this is good for a laugh.> http://www.funnyhub.com/...en-commandments.html

link didn't work...perhaps it was divine intervention...:)
God just called me on the horn and told me the link was bad because I didn't allow pop-ups and he directed me HERE> http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article13662.htm ;)

If you have "faith" in the story, then good for you. But I take exception when you tell me that something is true when it has not been proven.

I am telling you anything is true or not. The flood is a divine act but even considering that it is there are many things that are divine and historical that have been proven true i.e. Jericho and its collapsed walls. I know not all of it has been proven true my point is only that the historical context of the Bible is very important. Faith is faith and if yours is different that is fine. I do want to say one thing... it always seems that whenever a Christian is refered to that the most extreme nut case "christians" are the one being used. Like the doomsdayers. Not a knowck on you but why is it that it is so horrible to classify Islam as a bunch of terrorists because that is the extreme sect of the faith but when it is Christianity it seems like it free game and all the insane "christian" are always the ones brought up? Just a question....

>Not a knowck on you but why is it that it is so horrible to classify Islam as
>a bunch of terrorists . . . .

For the same reason it would be horrible to classify christians as a bunch of doctor-killers and woman-haters.

>when it is Christianity it seems like it free game . . . .

No one has accused you of being a terrorist, a doctor-killer or a woman-hater.

Bill.... that totally came out wrong... this is why I need to proof read. What I meant was people get upset when anyone who is muslim is classified that way but so many others are eager to lump in Christians with their crazy counterparts. I am not saying anyone has accused me of that but in general I hear a lot of comments towards Christians that are unjustified. A girl was perfroming in a Christmas play last night at my church and there was a horrible accident and she died. On Cincinnati.com the story is posted and blogs are allowed. Some of the stuff that was said on there was horrible. People attacked my church, Christians in general, etc. when they should be focused on a poor girls death and her family like the church is..... so my comments were a bit fueld by that. I have never felt anyone here attacking me to this degree which is yet another testament to the relationships and diversity of the skydiving community.

Blues

>What I meant was people get upset when anyone who is muslim is classified
>that way but so many others are eager to lump in Christians with their crazy
>counterparts.

Right. Both types are wrong to do that. In the 60's, the "godless commies" were the target, and their lack of religion was equated with their evil ways. Lately the overwhelming majority of such attacks have been against Muslims because of the current political climate, but no doubt that will change again too.

I have no doubt that will change again and possibly soon. I agree both are wrong! I really feel there is a strong hate towards Christianity these days and it may be because I am a Christian. All I know is that no one deserves the ignorant hate that is spewed in our world.

I really feel there is a strong hate towards Christianity these days and it may be because I am a Christian.

Wow! That statement carries the bouquet of adventure and romance on the high seas!

I wonder what he did to make people hate an entire religion?

I really feel there is a strong hate towards Christianity these days and it may be because I am a Christian.

Wow! That statement carries the bouquet of adventure and romance on the high seas!

I wonder what he did to make people hate an entire religion?

I don't know -- give it up Stan, what's the 411? :D:D

. . =(_8^(1)

The flood is a divine act

But a little higher on the same page, you just said

I do agree that the flood is historical but it is also divine

If it is historical, where is the proof?

I know not all of it has been proven true my point is only that the historical context of the Bible is very important.

In your very first post, you said this

Bottom line though it still comes down to faith even though the Bible still is the most hisorically accurate document ever created.

Still believe that statement?

My original question was this - if only parts of the Bible are true (which has been stated by Bush, and I think by you), and everyone gets to decide for themselves which parts are true, doesn't that undermine the credibility of the entire religion? A religion which bases it's entire foundation on this supposedly historical book that seems to change a lot?

I have no doubt that will change again and possibly soon. I agree both are wrong! I really feel there is a strong hate towards Christianity these days and it may be because I am a Christian. All I know is that no one deserves the ignorant hate that is spewed in our world.

Is your church anything like THIS ONE? > Today. Drudge JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A divorced Jacksonville woman said her former church has threatened to "go public with her sins" and tell the congregation about her sexual relationship with her new boyfriend.

Rebecca Hancock said harassment from Grace Community Church in Mandarin over her sex life caused her to leave, but she said that didn't put an end to the problem. She said she received a letter from the church's elders telling her the church plans to make her personal life very public.

"I'm basically run out. I'm the church harlot," Hancock said.

The 49-year-old said she has been dating a man for a while and she said members of the congregation at Grace Community Church haven't been happy about the relationship.

"Because I have a boyfriend that I'm involved with … to not be married to that person is a sin," Hancock said.

She said the issue caused her to leave the church. However, she said the church has not let go of her.

The letter Hancock received from the church states that because she has refused to end her sexual relationship with her boyfriend, "you leave us with no other choice but to carry out the commands of the Lord Jesus Christ" … "In accordance with Matthew 18:17 we intend to 'tell it to the church.'"

"On January 4, my sins will be told to the church, publicly, with my children sitting in the church and my friends," Hancock said.

The pastor of Grace Community Church, Dr. T. Scott Christmas, told Channel 4 he had no comment.

Pastors with whom Channel 4 spoke on Monday said announcing a sin to a congregation is not abnormal. They said it's written in the Bible to punish sinners who continue to sin.

The difference in Hancock's case is that she has left the church, and the pastors said that's is usually where punishment ends.

Despite the church's letter stating its biblical backing, Hancock said she has backed out of the church and they should leave her alone because she is no longer a member.

"I am a Christian, and that will never change. My relationship with Jesus has to do with me and Jesus, and he knows my heart," Hancock said.

The book of Matthew does have three steps that the church talked about in taking action against a member who is in sin.

Hancock said she is now attending a different church, and said she is planning to send a letter to Grace Community Church to make sure it's understood that she no longer a member."

What do you do with those/perceptions? Use them as a means to build empathy or something else?

How would you or others respond to statements like:
I really feel there is a strong hate towards Islam these days and it may be because I am a Moslem.

I really feel there is a strong hate towards blacks these days and it may be because I am a black.

I really feel there is a strong hate towards immigrants these days and it may be because I am a immigrant.

I really feel there is a strong hate towards Hispanics these days and it may be because I am a Hispanic.

I really feel there is a strong hate towards fat people these days and it may be because I am a fat.

I really feel there is a strong hate towards gays and lesbians these days and it may be because I am homosexual.

I really feel there is a strong hate towards women these days and it may be because I am a woman.

I really feel there is a strong hate towards autoworkers these days and it may be because I am an autoworker.

I really feel there is a strong hate towards Arabs these days and it may be because I am an Arab.

All I know is that no one deserves the ignorant hate that is spewed in our world.

Concur heartily!

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying