airdvr

How can the Senate...

preach fiscal conservatism to the Big 3 when they're doing such a bang up job at it themselves?

Because, it appears that discussing the real issue here isn't an option.

THE reason cars aren't selling isn't because there isn't a market for them or the products are shitty or they guzzle too much gas. The real issue is that nobody can finance them because of the commercial paper market. GM -tried- to explain this briefly and other than a few news junkies that actually follow this stuff, nobody on Capitol Hill seemed to understand. They all want to focus on bullshit issues like the private jets and salaries of the CEOs, none of which has -anything- to do with the reason cars aren't selling today.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And cars not selling isn't what got those three corporations where they are today.

What the FUCK is anyone thinking? CHAPTER 11!!!! It's good enough for the airlines! It's good enough for the auto makers!

No brainer! Duuuuhhhhhhh.....

:S

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

And cars not selling isn't what got those three corporations where they are today.

What the FUCK is anyone thinking? CHAPTER 11!!!! It's good enough for the airlines! It's good enough for the auto makers!

And it should be good for the BANKS and the States that are are all standing in line for a handout. FUCK THEM ALL
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

And AIG? And WaMu? (to mention just two Wall Street firms)

Or do you hold a SPECIAL place in your heart for the financial industry?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>And cars not selling isn't what got those three corporations where they are today.

Actually, it is. When the high-profit-margin, low efficiency SUV's were selling like crazy, the Big Three were making a decent profit. Their sales were enough to overcome the inefficiencies inherent in a bloated, ossified management structure and an overly selfish organized labor force.

That is no longer true. They are not competitive in this more difficult environment.

>Fuck them stupid unions! They had a place and time for them. Now is
>not the time and here is not the place!

Hey, I think anyone can have any sort of union they want. Just don't expect the rest of the US to pay for them when they make the companies they work for noncompetitive.

Just don't expect the rest of the US to pay for them when they make the companies they work for noncompetitive.

Depends on if your product is addictive enough to support a labor union ;) Most beer companies have unions, Budweiser just sold for $52 million, Coors doesn't have a union, and they are doing just fine, too. The corner alcohol store never seems to suffer when there's a recession.

New cars are nice, but not addictive. Most families in the US have two or three cars - in the south, they prop old cars up on blocks as lawn art. We're so oversaturated with cars, they are a luxury. We can live with not buying them when gas is high, and our old cars still work OK, or some people learn to take the bus. The US auto market is bloated and overprices, and deserves some trimming, IMO.

I oppose the auto bailout. I haven't bought a new car in 10 years, and I plan to never buy a new car again. They'll have hard times without a bailout, but hopefully they'll get so desperate they'll think about making an inexpensive car that uses very little gas and lasts a long time.

Of course, it's a pipe dream. The airline bankruptcies didn't exactly improve air travel :S
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD