kbordson

Would you lie to your doctor?

House is wrong, I am 100% truthful. Dude cant help you unless you are truthful. Do I give 2 rat doos in a flea circus if people know my med history-nope read up and learn from my mistakes-Being dishonest with your dr kinda defeats the purpose dont ya think?-Caress:S

it is not a question about wehter or not we want good health care, we do and most will have no problem telling the doctor what he needs to know until now, now that what you say could come back at a later time and either disqualify you or make your rates skyrocket. remember what is stored on the computer will always stay somewhere that can be retrieved.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I figure that, at my age, my privacy takes a back seat to my health. I tell my Doc what he wants to know.

The two are interconnected because the health and life insurance companies all subscribe to the MIB database and have laundry lists of conditions which will keep them from issuing a policy to you.

If you stop working for companies which offer group plans (as you might when you retire), telling the truth may mean not having health insurance because you can't get a private plan and not all states have high-risk pools. That's not going to be good for your health.

Very true.
But I am not educated as an MD, pharmacist, etc. so I will continue telling my Doc the truth when he asks me a question. Drug interactions, including over-the-counter meds and natural remedies, are nothing to mess with.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

it is not a question about wehter or not we want good health care, we do and most will have no problem telling the doctor what he needs to know until now, now that what you say could come back at a later time and either disqualify you or make your rates skyrocket. remember what is stored on the computer will always stay somewhere that can be retrieved.
--------------------------------------------------------
Well I guess I never thought about it that way, I get my care on a sliding fee scale that is geared to take what I make and decide how much I can afford. That is how we are doing it here in Washington State at the Interfaith clinic. They keep offering me insurance, and I keep telling them that I am not interested in insurance, I will continue to pay what I can according to my income instead. I am not even offered insurance thru my work. Insurance complicates things that arent complicated, and their crooks all of them, I aint trusting or giving my money to those pigs. I know it seems that I am flying by the seat of my pants and yes I am, I'd rather do that than give these ninnies my money and then give me crap about what ails me.
As for viewing my records online, I stand by my post-Yes come see what glorious drug addictions do to your body after you quit-please come see what a mess you can be if you continue that stupidity.

I also intend to donate my cruddy body to science so they can tell future kids " look what that did " So hopefully it makes one less meth adict in the world, one less cigarette smoker, or one less birth control pill abuser in this world.

I am going to die- maybe today, tommorow or next week. its a part of life and I aint looking to put it off- I do not want to know I have cancer. I'd rather live life like I am. being me-not depressed me.

Oh shit sorry for the rant---

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

Oh shit sorry for the rant---

Don't be sorry, there's nothing wrong with anything you wrote.

I, however, am not willing to be as open as you are. I don't want those that I work with to know how many partners I've had or if I've had prior STD's (none of their business). I don't want a diagnosis of depression to limit my prescribing privileges or a past history of smoking (or even worse yet - a FAMILY HISTORY of smoking and lung cancer) to limit future life insurance/disability insurance amounts. I don't want "the system" to have my informations "stored"

and Skyrad, I know it's your business... but it is kind of scary what can be done with all that personal information.

Mostly... I believe that people are good and I believe that the info would be just stored until needed for a necessary purpose. The research value would be amazing. But the outliers from the normals would become "interesting" and then the focus could turn from "society" to "individual." And that's where things can go wrong. The purposes are nice... the practices might not be.

New technology scares a lot of people at first.

It's about the technology, the process of privacy and who has the keys to the kingdom.
Please don't tell me that you believe PM's really are.

What's a PM? Is that medical record jargon I'm not familiar with?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

New technology scares a lot of people at first.

It's about the technology, the process of privacy and who has the keys to the kingdom.
Please don't tell me that you believe PM's really are.

What's a PM? Is that medical record jargon I'm not familiar with?

I think he's referring to private messages as not being so private

when i was in the navy, i lied about how much i drank any time i was asked (they seemed to think that anything more than a couple beers a week meant you had a drinking problem). now i don't drink near as much so it isn't an issue. i would lie if i had recently taken a prescription med that wasn't mine such as ambien. i would probably also lie if i had smoked pot too, but in my situation, even with everything on paper, i would be worried about my privacy.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Why would people you work with have easier access to your records if they were electronic instead of paper? I would think it would be the other way around.

Although I agree with privacy concerns vs-a-vis insurance companies and other 3rd parties, I think medical records within a given practice would be more secure and accurate if stored digitally instead of on paper.

- Dan G

Everything is encrypted, password protected, not easy to get to (paper charts were actually much less secure than the EMR version).

Jen

You got that right. In the clinic I go to, a relatively good sized facility; those big motorized rotating file cabinets are open during all hours the clinic is. They are not locked away in some vault with only 1 person having keys and bringing just that days records up from the crypt. They are behind the nurse/reception station, but really just lined up in open areas right off the hallways. Janitors, patients, every single employee - everybody walks within arms reach of them.

Shit, I wouldn't doubt that every admin asst, med asst, and who knows what other assts have keys.

And when the clinic is operating full tilt anybody not acting squirrely could easily walk up to those cabinets, grab a pile of files and walk away completely unnoticed. And what is with the files hanging in the little bin outside the door (totally unattended) while I wait half an hour for the second time each visit.

Yep, paper files are about as secure as US Mail.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Why would people you work with have easier access to your records if they were electronic instead of paper? I would think it would be the other way around.

Although I agree with privacy concerns vs-a-vis insurance companies and other 3rd parties, I think medical records within a given practice would be more secure and accurate if stored digitally instead of on paper.

If it were paper, I could personally control it. (since I'm in the practice) But if I were just a general patient, it would likely be just as easy ... although... since most of us can access the files from home... I would still guess that it's easier with the digital format instead of having to have the paper chart hunted down and pulled.

That is really a moot point since on any plan you must qualify for you are supposed to disclose all info anyway. So you are saying you are against EMR because it might end up catching you in a lie on an application.

But there would be an electronic record saying that Doctor X accessed your file. With paper, there would be no record that your file was access, copied, etc.

If medical records are properly controlled, I think they are safer (both in terms of privacy and accuracy) in electronic format.

And no, I don't lie to my doctor. But then again I try not to do anything that would require me lying to a medical professional:$.

- Dan G

Exactly. And contrary to what the Black Helicopter Crowd thinks; there is not a humongous MIB database that insurance companies use to share everybody's info in some sort of health history orgy of information. Ever heard of HIPAA?

There are various projects that involve sharing of cleansed information on treatment protocols and outcomes and stuff like that (often mandated by regulators/legislators) but insurance companies are not sending your records to MIB.

I can understand you being concerned about people looking at your history, and that is okay. I guess I am looking at the big picture here that when it comes to your med file, health professionals should be able to see your history but it should be encrypted like fort knox and only be released with caution i.e. to your physician, or an ER attending, not just some flippen ya-hoo who wants to check you out. It is kinda hard to say well make them have to push your thumb print onto a reader for access therefore you have to be present where it is being looked at as if you are in an accident and lose you thumb, that wouldnt work. There has to be an alternate way. I know that I dont care who sees my crap, but many others are wanting their privacy. The way I am understanding this is that stuff is already available to others right? with no precautions in place to protect the file? so the cart is already before the horse and it is running down the street and we cant stop it? HMMMM:|-Caress

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

My primary and reserve physicians also happen to be friends of mine who I suspect know me well enough to infer a "wink-wink" when I dodge a question. Of course with my 40th birthday coming up, I may have to rethink the strategy of having a friend as my GP... :o:D

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

If you have so little faith in your collegues snoopiness with regard to your chart, why not take your medical care elsewhere? Why work with people that you don't trust 100%? If you can't trust them completely, how do you expect your patients to give their trust to them?

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

If you have so little faith in your collegues snoopiness with regard to your chart, why not take your medical care elsewhere? Why work with people that you don't trust 100%? If you can't trust them completely, how do you expect your patients to give their trust to them?

A lot of it also has do with knowing the people.

There are some exams that you would prefer not to KNOW the person doing it or others knowing that you have them done. It's still a privacy issue for me.

I can't believe people are really worried about data sharing.

When have you ever dealt with a company and when transferred around not have to give all your info again?

If companies can't even share data within themselves, what makes you think they can do it outside successfully?

I work in IT, we're still quite a bit away from that sort of integration. The ways companies tend to grow and merge makes it even harder.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.