quade

SoCal's atheist billboard taken down

From AP

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. (AP) - Complaints have led to removal of an atheist group's "Imagine No Religion" billboard in Rancho Cucamonga.

The General Outdoor sign company took down the Freedom From Religion Foundation billboard on Thursday after the city asked if there was a way to get it removed. Redevelopment director Linda Daniels says they got 90 complaints.

The 12,000-member Madison, Wis.-based foundation, which advocates separation of church and state, has billboards in eight states that include such messages as "Reasons Greetings" and "Beware of Dogma."

Foundation co-president Annie Laurie Gaylor says the city shouldn't be censoring speech.

In September, the city asked another billboard firm to take down a vagina rejuvenation procedure sign.

Wow. CLEAR violation of First Amendment rights by the city. This billboard went up on November 18, -TWO- days prior to being torn down on November 20.

An earlier reports of the sign going up from KCBS in Los Angeles and KABC as well. Please note the pro-religion biased headline in the KABC web page.

Attached is what the billboard looked like.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What's so funny about this, to me, is how people STILL think all of California is ultra left wing. People outside of SoCal have NO idea how religious conservative certain parts of California are.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Is there going to be a lawsuit? If I lived there I would be pissed that my taxes would be spent defending the decision to remove that billboard.

OT: Best billboard ever - In San Diego:

When the Aliens come they'll eat the fat people first

- 24 hr fitness

It got removed, but it was funny.

More reasons to dislike religion and our government ...

yes, and athiest as well for pushing their agenda on everybody else, the very thing they despise about christians other than God himself.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

i don't understand atheist organizations. for me, there are some great things about being atheist. i don't have to belong to an organization of people with similar religious beliefs. i don't give a fuck what other people believe. i don't have to push my beliefs of others (except in speaker's corner, of course:P). i really don't care to remove god from the public, just the laws. i don't believe we have freedom from religion. that said, i see god billboards all the time. if the other side wants to waste their time and money putting up an atheist billboard, they certainly have the right to.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

More reasons to dislike religion and our government ...

yes, and athiest as well for pushing their agenda on everybody else, the very thing they despise about christians other than God himself.

You have about 5 or 6 misconceptions about atheists all rolled up in a single sentence.

I am an atheist and I don't hate God any more than I hate the Easter Bunny.
I do don't mind Christian billboards. What I really hate is their suppressing of atheist billboards.

My comment was meant for those that it applies to...

That's called a "strawman" - making up an imaginary enemy just so you can knock him down.

Its not imaginary...

I understand that all Athiest may not habor hate, just like I'm a Christian that doesn't supress athiest billboards.

EDIT

Nor do I advocate the supression of Athiest Billboards.
Nor do I endorse the erection of Athiest Billboards.

That's fine. Just don't try to prevent _other_ people from hearing it. The First Amendment and all.

I believe the First Amendment doesn't prevent people from preventing others from hearing it as long as it doesn't prevent people from stating it...not that I would endorse such controlling behavior.

This is pretty silly, but the article is pretty vague. Was the billboard company politely asked to remove them because of complaints and chose to comply at their own will, or were they threatened, inimidated, or forced to remove them by the city. I see a big difference between the two, and one would not warrant a lawsuit. However I don't see that distinguished in this article. It simply says that they were asked to do so and did. So far it doesn't seem like there's any constitutional violations here. I'd like to know the full story here.