TheAnvil

What I hope the GOP does now

Because that same person can realize that the idea of universal healthcare is much better than what the reality would be.

Yes, Hawaii can be used as a perfect example
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

HE has some strange ideas???:o

Holy shit man, or should it be comrad?

Ok, you tell me. Which bank executives deserve a taxpayer funded bonus? Which stockholders deserve a taxpayer funded dividend from a failed bank?Neither, and I have stated on this site many times the bailout is fucked up
If you consider that "earning" money as opposed to wealth distribution then I have no idea what to say.

But if you support Obamas plan then you are worse than what you post you hate.

Personally I think that the bank executives that are involved in the bailout should give back their last year's salary, exercised stock options and bonuses. I understand that letting the banks fail could be very bad, but any plan that doesn't include accountability is incomplete.

Agreed

And those that proposed the bail out (including Bush) should be held acountable.

But taking money from those that work and giving it to those that dont is dead fucking wrong

How does the amount of welfare paid to poor people who are lazy and worthless compare with the nearly $1Trillion redistributed to Wall Street?

Sir kallend

YOUR party is for FURTHER bail out along with the spinless R's that are supporting it too! It is not about money it is about nationalizing the private sector even further

but.

I was, am and will be against the bail out.
So stop changing the fucking topic and see if you can aswer any of the questions asked above.

Or is trully showing your positions something you cant do:S

I don't see any question marks in your statement above except something about calling him "comrad", which is really just an insult..

OTOH, I asked a real question and you can't answer it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

1- I call for the GOP not to 'Bork' President-elect Obama's Cabinet nominations. A President should be able to nominate the Cabinet of his choice. Don't you want a non-Bork-esque nomination process for President-elect Obama, John?
2- I call for a floor vote for all judicial nominees - just as I did under President Bush.
3- I want workers to retain the right to a secret ballot when voting for unionization in the workplace. Do you not respect that right,
4- I desire freedom of speech on the air-waves. Should advertisers be forced to pay for programming content with which they disagree, Sir John? Would you think the ACLU would agree, Sir John?
5- I don't believe achievement should be punished. Do you, Sir Kallend?
6- Do you believe that more government in gov't schools would be a good thing? Given their smashing success as compared with other nations?
7- Please, dear Kallend, enlighten us on how nuclear power and drilling for oil on our own lands would be a bad thing. Quite eager to hear your thoughts, old boy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I removed some of the comentary but I still wonder, If I would support these points for the Pres elect is that a bad thing?

Since you have selective memory
Abraham Lincoln

You're spoiling his attempt to redirect the thread so he can avoid such questions!

:D

Sorry:$;)
Abraham Lincoln

1- I call for the GOP not to 'Bork' President-elect Obama's Cabinet nominations. A President should be able to nominate the Cabinet of his choice. Don't you want a non-Bork-esque nomination process for President-elect Obama, John?
2- I call for a floor vote for all judicial nominees - just as I did under President Bush.
3- I want workers to retain the right to a secret ballot when voting for unionization in the workplace. Do you not respect that right,
4- I desire freedom of speech on the air-waves. Should advertisers be forced to pay for programming content with which they disagree, Sir John? Would you think the ACLU would agree, Sir John?
6- Do you believe that more government in gov't schools would be a good thing? Given their smashing success as compared with other nations?
7- Please, dear Kallend, enlighten us on how nuclear power and drilling for oil on our own lands would be a bad thing. Quite eager to hear your thoughts, old boy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I removed some of the comentary but I still wonder, If I would support these points for the Pres elect is that a bad thing?

I already commented on those - the GOP shouldn't be concentrating on thwarting the expressed will of the electorate - it should be concentrating on fixing its own serious problems.

I already commented on those - the GOP shouldn't be concentrating on thwarting the expressed will of the electorate - it should be concentrating on fixing its own serious problems.

Well good for you. I guess we can expect the same support from you when the next
Republican Admin gets into office.

That will be a nice change from you and this admin.
Abraham Lincoln

A 'I can't comment on those issues because it forces me to face certain realities about my positions I am not prepared to deal with at this time' would have been a much more accurate answer.

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

A 'I can't comment on those issues because it forces me to face certain realities about my positions I am not prepared to deal with at this time' would have been a much more accurate answer.

Well at this time you could just suggest that since the Republican Party is pretty much dead and has become the rePUBICan party... it might be more in line with your current trend to just name the party the Evangelical Party and get it over with.

I always equated the Republican Party as the party of Lincoln.. fiscal responsibility and socialy conservative. Now they are certainly ultra-conservative , ultra fiscally irresponsible, and ultra morally bankrupt.

It has shifted so far from the middle of the road in most of the country that it is no longer viable to keep using newspeak to fool people into voting for fear and things that most people abhore.

Reality is that a majority of the electorate voted for Obama, and not for McCain. Reality is that the Dems have a majority in both parts of Congress. That's a reality I can face with equanimity.

You and rush, OTOH, seem to be having a really hard time dealing with that reality.

Yep! Obama is the President Elect and the DemoKKKrats have a majority in both the House and the Senate. Disliking the aforementioned isn't going to make them go away. Never stated otherwise.

How about answering my queries...

:D:D:D

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Reality is that a majority of the electorate voted for Obama, and not for McCain. Reality is that the Dems have a majority in both parts of Congress. That's a reality I can face with equanimity.

You and rush, OTOH, seem to be having a really hard time dealing with that reality.

Not at all sir. look at some of my other posts.

But, I let you drag me off topic yet again.

I vow to do better
Abraham Lincoln

I can appriciate conservative values(fiscal responsibility,small efficient government) as much as anyone however the Republican party of late doesn't much resemble those traits and characteristics anymore.

With the amount of money spent and new government institutions created by the current administration it is so laughable that the Republicans could paint a picture of the Democrats doing any worse, and do it with a straight face. But that is what they did. And apparently they did it with quite a bit of success because as you noted they achieved 48% of the vote.

In my opinion they did it by capitalizing on paranoia and outright lying. Unfortunately a large number of people succumbed to the pressure and voted out of fear instead of taking a look at who might benefit themselves, their families and the nation.

Giving a larger tax break to very weathy people and businesses does not benefit the people. Creating bigger government does not benefit the people. Taking on additional debt in the form of loans from other nations translating into a weaker US dollar does not benefit the people.

Additionally, values based legislation does not put food on the table. It does not pay the bills, and it doesn't create jobs.

The 48% of those who voted Republican can't all have come from the few who actually would have/have benefited from these policies. So it stands to reason that while a substantial number of people voted Republican, it may not have been in their best interests despite what they were told.

The Republican party is not dead as the evidence shows and will continue to be a force as long as they can get large groups of people to essentially vote against themselves. The alternative would be to actually uphold the values and fundamentals of the party and get shit done.
Someday Never Comes

The alternative would be to actually uphold the values and fundamentals of the party and get shit done.

The question is: what are those values supposed to be?

Look up Barry Goldwater & see how disappointed he came to be with the Republican party & why.

Right now the Republicans are asking what went wrong. And NOT agreeing about the answer at all.

The super social-conservative & hyper religious types are saying they need someone more hard to the Right.

The more libertarian-leaning and moderate Republicans (who say, emphasize reducing government spending rather than religious values) disagree with the above, pointing out that in order to win elections you have to not just capture the "Republican Base", you have to get the people in the middle.

So the Republican party is all over the map right now.

McCain was a moderate Republican & had the advantage that he could reach the Great Middle. But then he chose Palin as a running mate, which was a deliberate act of tokenism & political pandering to the religious/social conservatives.

So the social conservatives/religious Republicans are now saying that Palin was great & Mccain sucked, and the moderate Republicans are saying that Palin was a bad choice.

The Republican party needs to decide what it wants to be.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I think the Republican alliance is made up of at least three groups (actually there's like a dozen more, but for simplicity):

1) Religious Conservatives (Sarah Palin)
2) Anti-Statist Libertarians (Ron Paul, Barry Goldwater)
3) Neo-Con Foreign Policy Hawks (Dick Cheney)

During the Bush years, I think that the third group was ascendant, controlling the platform and direction of the party. Occasional tokens were handed out to the other two groups (especially the first), but by and large the important thing to the party power brokers (around the President) was the foreign agenda. I think that it wasn't clear when Bush originally ran how he was going to fit into the groups (mostly he's a #1 in domestic policy and a #3 in foreign policy), but 9/11 made foreign policy very important, and he ran into the arms of that wing of the party.

McCain is generally in the 2nd and 3rd groupings (not the first). He selected Palin because (a) she brought in the third group in the traditional alliance, and (b) she was young and pretty, to counter some of Obama's charismatic energy.

What I'd like to see the GOP do now is step back to Goldwater, and put the ant-statist agenda front and center. That works well for the party, because as a minority opposition they're likely to be opposed to the works of the state (controlled by their political opponents) anyway. It also addresses the major downfall of the party in this electoral cycle (the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan) because the ant-statists are generally opposed to foreign adventures, at the very least because they involve massive growth of the state infrastructure.

Admittedly, the fact that I'm in group #2, and view the religious right with skepticism and distrust, and the foreign policy hawks with downright opposition, may have something to do with that view. I'm hoping that we see a shake up in the GOP, with the anti-statist view emerging as the dominant unifying force, backed by religious conservatives (who, faced with a liberal government will hopefully fall back to "just leave me alone"), and leaving the foreign policy hawks as the ones' crying in the wilderness (because, after all, without the executive branch, they're pretty much unemployed).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Wealth is earned - not distributed. Deal with it.

I couldn't agree more. Than why does the US keep borrowing money from countries where the wealth is being earned? Why go to China, where the money is being earned, to borrow money for adventures that are not turning a profit?

To me that is the same as wellfare, but on a global scale.