Skyrad

Do animals....

Do Animals have emotions like humans do or are they simply reacting to stimilus?
I've always believes that they do but have often come across people that argue that animals just react to stiuli and don't have emotions. Whats your view?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I don't care what political party you are for, I am completely against Doing animals.:D

I was trying to get away from elephants and donkeys!
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

That's a hard one. I believe they may have emotions, but not like us as they are not so in tune with or even understand them. We know what anger and fear is. Since they don't spend time thinking about it and dabbling in philosophy, i believe it's more a stimulus to them.

I believe some of the "animals have feelings" comes from anthromorphism of their actions. But a lot of dog trainers like Cesar Millan explain the folly in that

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Do Animals have emotions like humans do or are they simply reacting to stimilus?
I've always believes that they do but have often come across people that argue that animals just react to stiuli and don't have emotions. Whats your view?

Interesting question!

Complexity of emotions that humans can exhibit - no.

Neurological, biochemical and physiological behavior that suggests 'emotional responses' - yes. Varies highly across species. Elephants have been observed to mourn the loss of relatives or member of group, for example.

To me, it suggests one needs to think about how emotions are defined.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I feel no remorse when I eat my double cheeseburger or chicken sandwich. We use animals for all kinds of things besides food. Do you own any leather products? I imagine you do. How dare you contribute to the abuse of animals by purchasing their byproducts.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

That's a hard one. I believe they may have emotions, but not like us as they are not so in tune with or even understand them. We know what anger and fear is. Since they don't spend time thinking about it and dabbling in philosophy, i believe it's more a stimulus to them.

I believe some of the "animals have feelings" comes from anthromorphism of their actions. But a lot of dog trainers like Cesar Millan explain the folly in that

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Since they don't spend time thinking about it and dabbling in philosophy, i believe it's more a stimulus to them.

That would address reasoning and cognitive skills rather than emotions.

I feel no remorse when I eat my double cheeseburger or chicken sandwich. We exploit animals for all kinds of things besides food. Do you own any leather products? I imagine you do. How dare you contribute to the abuse of animals by purchasing their byproducts.

There, fixed it for ya.

90% voted yes so far.

Then is this not a holocaust?

No it is not. It is a simple issue of supply and demand. As long as people are willing to pay for meat then people will be willing to produce it for the lowest cost possible.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

I believe they may have emotions, but not like us as they are not so in tune with or even understand them. We know what anger and fear is

For years, we always had squirrels raising their families in the trees around my house. Then, three years ago, we "adopted" a young tom cat from the local shelter. From day one, I knew he was a killer. I named him Stanislaw Ulam, the guy who made the hydrogen bomb work (...no offense to Mr. Ulam).

For a while, Stanley ate baby squirrels on a regular basis. We no longer have squirrel families in my yard.

Not only do they feel emotion, they take deliberate informed action.
We are all engines of karma