TheAnvil

Wealth redistribution

So how much should you be paying for the privilege of working in an advanced society with effective political, educational, communications, distribution, water, sewer, highway, legal, etc. systems that enable you to be successful?

Instead of how much I should be paying I'll state how much I shouldn't be paying. I shouldn't be paying more than 33% of my income. How much do you think you should (or shouldn't) be paying?

PS: I don't consider our society to be an advanced society with effective political, educational, communications, distribution, water, sewer, highway, legal, etc...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

They definitely are. You do not have the "right" to fly an airplane even though you pay for ATC, the NTSB and the FAA.

You have the right to buy a plane ticket which, in turn, uses all of those agencies.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

> I shouldn't be paying more than 33% of my income.

If you want everyone to contribute an equal percentage of their income, and you want to support the US government without running up big deficits, you'll be paying 42.6% in federal taxes. Numbers below.

How to reduce that? One way is to reduce expenditures. Do that, then you can reduce taxes. Using 2007 numbers you'd have to cut spending by 34% to get to your 33% number.

Another way is to make the scale more progressive; that increases load on people who make more money and decreases it on people who make less. Since the top 1% make a LOT of money, you don't have to change it by much to greatly increase revenue, allowing you to get to your desired 33%.

2003 total number of taxpayers (by returns) 131 million
2007 total expenditures $2.8 trillion
2007 average household annual income $50,233

>You have the right to buy a plane ticket which, in turn, uses all of those agencies.

No, you don't. Airlines are private companies and they are under no obligation to sell you a ticket. (Of course, they generally want to since it's how they make money.) Once you get to the airport, you can be denied boarding for dozens of reasons, including exercising your Second Amendment rights.

How do all you folks adamantly against wealth redistribution feel about Sarah Palin's redistributing an additional $1200 to every Alaskan, rich or poor, last year taken from oil company profits? (Google "Alaska Permanent Fund" for details).

How do you feel about the red states (including Alaska) being subsidized, on average, by the federal taxes paid by the "blue" states?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And name one Govt program that worked really well?

Just one?

The Manhattan Project

A couple other candidates:
Eradication of smallpox
The "Intergalactic Computer Network" (i.e., ARPANET)

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

>You have the right to buy a plane ticket which, in turn, uses all of those agencies.

No, you don't. Airlines are private companies and they are under no obligation to sell you a ticket. (Of course, they generally want to since it's how they make money.) Once you get to the airport, you can be denied boarding for dozens of reasons, including exercising your Second Amendment rights.

Good point.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

>Since my taxes pay for those services, using them and benefiting from them is
>definitely NOT a privilege.

They definitely are. You do not have the "right" to fly an airplane even though you pay for ATC, the NTSB and the FAA. You must pass a test (practical and written) obey a great many rules and regulations and maintain proficiency. If you do not, then you will not be allowed to fly, and telling the FAA official "I'll do what I please; I pay your taxes!" won't get you very far.

>It's a market for my skills; and my question is how much is somebody willing to
>PAY ME for my skills, not how much am I willing to pay to particiapte in the
>market.

Right. But if you're a web designer, you're not going to make much money without the Internet. If you're a trucker, you can work only when the government provides you with roads. All the skill in the world won't get an 18 wheeler over a muddy field.

Strongly disagree.

I never mentioned rights. Introducing rights and privileges available to people on an individual basis is quite a tangent to spin off on.

Roads, or the internet, or the ATC are goods and services that exist for use by taxpaying citizens (ignoring the freeloaders for sake of this post). They function because I (or we) pay for them. In fact, we collectively own them, just as we own everything in the public domain.

Whether or not there are special qualifications I must meet in order to personally engage in certain specific actions is a whole different issue.

And if I'm a OTR trucker I will take my skills to where they are in demand; such as a place with roads that accomodate my rig. Finding such a place in definitely not a privilege. It is responding to the market.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

> I shouldn't be paying more than 33% of my income.

If you want everyone to contribute an equal percentage of their income, and you want to support the US government without running up big deficits, you'll be paying 42.6% in federal taxes.

I don't want to increase the deficit, I want to reduce the spending.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

>I never mentioned rights.

"Free" government services you can avail yourself of are either rights (in which case you cannot be denied them without due process) or privileges (in which case you can be denied them.)

>Roads, or the internet, or the ATC are goods and services that exist for use by
>taxpaying citizens (ignoring the freeloaders for sake of this post). They function
>because I (or we) pay for them. In fact, we collectively own them . . .

Nope. That would be communism. We're not a communist country. We do pay for them, and thus they become a public service that many people can avail themselves of. However, the statement "why yes, I do own the road" is not accurate.

>And if I'm a OTR trucker I will take my skills to where they are in demand; such
>as a place with roads that accomodate my rig. Finding such a place in definitely not
>a privilege. It is responding to the market.

If you mean "deciding where and how you are willing to work is a right, not a privilege" I agree.

And name one Govt program that worked really wellThe "Intergalactic Computer Network" (i.e., ARPANET)

Does DARPA get all the credit here though, or shouldn't it be shared considerably with Berkeley and Bell Labs?

Not sure to what you are specifically refering ... lots of different options. If Bell Labs & transistor, sure; as Meitner/Hahn and Jenner deserve credit for their respective discoveries.
Berkeley - not sure you mean UC Berkeley or LBNL? Either way, both likely govt-(supported)-programs.
As far as the govt program that enabled/fostered the ARPANET - yes, Steve Lukasik, et al. should get credit.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

if you want lower taxes, FIRST cut govt. spending. Everyone gives up something.

kinda shoots a hole in the nationalized health care plan.

Depends what's important. if you don't care that our infant mortality is way behind Europe and even some third world countries (and getting lower in the rankings) I guess you'd think that way.

Depends what's important. if you don't care that our infant mortality is way behind Europe and even some third world countries (and getting lower in the rankings) I guess you'd think that way.

Maybe you should look at how births are recorded (the US counts any live birth, some euro countries only count a live birth if the baby lives 3 months) and the fact that US (from some info I've read) has more preemie babies due to teen pregnancies.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Maybe you should look at how births are recorded (the US counts any live birth, some euro countries only count a live birth if the baby lives 3 months) and the fact that US (from some info I've read) has more preemie babies due to teen pregnancies.

If you don't like the data from the cdc and chs, provide a reliable source of your own. Until you do, I shall believe the CDC.

And name one Govt program that worked really wellThe "Intergalactic Computer Network" (i.e., ARPANET)

Does DARPA get all the credit here though, or shouldn't it be shared considerably with Berkeley and Bell Labs?

Not sure to what you are specifically refering ... lots of different options. If Bell Labs & transistor, sure; as Meitner/Hahn and Jenner deserve credit for their respective discoveries.
Berkeley - not sure you mean UC Berkeley or LBNL? Either way, both likely govt-(supported)-programs.
As far as the govt program that enabled/fostered the ARPANET - yes, Steve Lukasik, et al. should get credit.

VR/Marg

I think the development of unix was a key driver as arpanet became nsfnet in the 80s/90s and its success over rivals like prodigy, compuserve, AOL, and the well. So I credit the SysV folks at AT&T and the BSD people at Cal.

You still haven't stated how much you think you should (or shouldn't) be paying?

I should be paying at a far higher rate than someone making $25k/yr, at a higher rate than someone making $75k/yr, at a lower rate than someone making $750k/yr and at a far lower rate than someone making $7.5M/yr, there should be no loopholes or shelters, it shouldn't matter whether it is earned or investment income, and cumulatively we should pay our way rather than borrowing from the Chinese for our grandchildren to pay back.

mnealtx is correct. they don't count/report "live births" the same way in different countries.

Those pesky facts getting in the way of your propaganda K?
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

there should be no loopholes or shelters

Without Loopholes, How will congress dictate our behavior?

Does no Loopholes and shelters include Mortgage Interest Deductions?

How about Earned Income Credits?

What about the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit or clean-fuel burning deduction?

How about those nasty little deductions given for dependants?

Loopholes and shelters will always exist because it is Loopholes and shelters that allow congress encourage and/or discourage the behavior of the American Taxpayer.

I'm thinking we should require all charitable donations to be paid to the government so that they can distribute it as they see fit. After all, they DO know best how to run things, right? At least that loophole would close and we wouldn't have to worry about sneaky charities doing bad things. It's arrogant of us to actually decide what charities we support! Others could need it more!
Oh, hello again!