willso

Landing

In March this year I had an extremely hard landing on my arse (downwind). I compressed my vertebrea and had bad bruising. I haven't jumped since and my back has been sore ever since?!? I am nervous about jumping but love this sport and would evenutually like to do camera or tandems. Any advice about building my confidence in relation to landing? I was thinking of asking for assistance with landing at my DZ (TA) but feel silly and don't know if that would be possible even though I only have 40 jumps?

Nothing is better than de-briefed video.

So, i see you live in Oz thus i'm not sure if you guys have canopy control courses over there or who they're run by but it would be worth doing one if you can. The instructors will be able to help you with all sorts of things, flying a consistent pattern and the correct time and how to flare being just some of them.

Alternatively you could speak really nicely to one of the experienced canopy pilots/ swoopers on your DZ and ask if they wouldn't mind videoing and debriefing a few of your landings with you. Offer to buy them a case of beer in return for the knowledge.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Asking for help and advice is not silly. Get over that now. If you think you're "done" learning just because you're no longer a student and have your license, you're getting this all wrong. Skydiving is all about continuing to learn and grow. Don't ever feel silly asking someone to help you learn.

You might work on canopy control with the same people who taught you to jump, or you might identify an expert who can help out. As others have said, video is a great tool. To help rebuild confidence, think about making your first jumps back on a larger canopy than the one you were jumping when you got your injury.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

hi,
I found myself in a similar position recently having compressed a couple of vertebra after messing up a no wind landing at a DZ with a much higher density altitude than I was used to.
First I had to spend some time and rehab work (exercise, stretching, yoga etc) so that I was happy that my back was fine..to remove any doubt/excuse from my mind before I jumped again. Then i picked the perfect wind day to day to jump again..after spending the morning watching good jumpers landing..until I just couldn't stay on the ground anymore. I jumped solo, pulled at 5000 and spent the time playing with my flare and was able to recognize that I had a tendency to flare asymmetrically. I tried to remember that when i landed in front of my buddy recording it on video. One of my best landings; I showed it to a canopy pilot who i respect and he said"Yeah, okay. Now go and do a lot more like that. Come back and talk if you want to."
Eventually you have no choice but to jump if you want to learn. There are plenty of people who went through the same thing and plenty of people who you can ask for advice.
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

Sounds like to me, and not saying you and Tim Barret did, that it was a two-legs-out-tandem-butt-slide that you did. Sure-fire way of breaking tailbones and vertebrae and compressing discs.

I cringe every time I see jumpers doing this and I'm starting to get really...I can't think of the proper word here...so I'll just say "jaded" or "pissed".

PLF people...PLF.

All to often, what two-legs-out-tandem-butt-slide solo landers fail to realize is that TIs are, for the most part, highly experienced before they earn ratings and are good at putting people down softly enough to do that type of landing but upjumpers are not. And it only takes one time to get yourself laid up for a long period...or worse. How many TIs and tandem students get hurt like that as opposed to fun jumpers?

PLF people...PLF.

For the life of me I don't understand why S&TAs don't temporarily ground people who do that to give them time to think about what they did and why they shouldn't do it.

Oh...excuse me...PLF is just not cool.

PLF people...PLF.

Somebody please help me avoid getting that "what's the use" attitude.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...a two-legs-out-tandem-butt-slide ...

I cringe every time I see jumpers doing this...

I agree. Also, not assuming that this is the case here, there are WAY too many people getting used to that type of landing as their standard. That sure won't work well in a Wal-Mart parking lot or a yard with sprinkler heads sticking out of the ground. :o

I can just hear the conversation in the coffee room at the ER, "Jeez, Bob, you'll never guess what we pulled out of this skydiver's ass yesterday." ;)

Kevin

I lost most of the vision in my left eye a few years back (central vein occlusion -- idiopatic) My first jump after the loss was a hard landing on my butt. After that I "two staged" flared for a while. Meaning I flared a little higher than normal. If my depth perception was okay I'd ride out the flare, if I was a little high I'd let up and flare again.

Also, I'd talk to your instructors. There would be no shame in going back on radio to rebuild your confience. NOTE: If you plan on doing the "two stage" flare thing I'd talk to an instructor first. It was my instructor who told me about the two staged flare and he helped me though it. It only took about 5-6 jumps before I learned to compensate for my loss of vision.

steveOrino