kallend

Seeing Russia from Alaska

They're saying that Palin doesn't have the experience to be VP, when she has MORE experience working with foreign countries than Obama has.

What foreign countries has she worked with? Proximity does not equal a working relationship.What foreign country had Bill Clinton worked with?

Does the governor not set domestic policy for her state? What has Obama set domestic policy for?

The POTUS deals with domestic policy for all fifty states. By your logic, since Alaska borders no states, Palin doesn't have sufficient experience.So, becaues Bill Clinton will in the lower 50 he was qualified. I will remember that:S

See my original post, where I mention the Governor's Office of International Trade (nicely snipped in your reply) - that's certainly more experience working with foreign countries in ANY capacity than an Illinois Senator has had.

Are you suggesting, with your example, that Palin violated Article I Section 10 of the US Constitution?

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

I guess Palin didn't deserve those three points you credited her with after all. :S

Which makes her better than Obama and EQUALLY as qualified as Bill Clinton was.

Perspective is a wonderful thing........dont you think?:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I haven't seen any indication in her experience or her rhetoric to suggest she is as qualified as Obama, Biden, or even McCain.

As a state representative, Obama represented a district with more people than the entire state of Alaska. In US Congress, Obama has acquired more foreign policy experience than Palin.

But, I'm sure Palin made life very difficult for Alaska's thirty state legislators as she reformed the state legislature. There are undoubtedly many high school teachers that would like to adapt her tactics in their classrooms. Obama, on the other hand, has experience working with the US Congress, which is much larger, and much more diverse.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

What foreign countries has she worked with? Proximity does not equal a working relationship.

Perhaps you can show me all the working relationships between those Senate committees and foreign countries.

The POTUS deals with domestic policy for all fifty states. By your logic, since Alaska borders no states, Palin doesn't have sufficient experience.

Keep spinning, Andy... Since when does a governor of ANY state set policy for states beside their own?

Are you suggesting, with your example, that Palin violated Article I Section 10 of the US Constitution?

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

No more than any other governor has.

I guess Palin didn't deserve those three points you credited her with after all. :S

If you had actually DEBUNKED anything, I might agree. Since you haven't, except perhaps in your own mind, well...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

How many foreign countries are visible from Illinois, Professor?

Indiana!

However, I don't recall anyone from Illinois ever claiming that being able to see Indiana gave us any special insight into interstate relations.

The whole issue of being able to see Russia just shows how truly clueless Ms. Palin is.

Yeah, she is dumb as rocks. What the hell ever. Just because you don't like someone's politics does not make them an idiot. Is that fear I smell? I don't care for Obama's politics but that does not mean he is an idiot.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Keep spinning, Andy... Since when does a governor of ANY state set policy for states beside their own?

They don't. Just like being governor of Alaska offers zero foreign relations experience, despite the close proximity of (remote parts of) the state with Russia.

So you agree that being governor of Alaska doesn't offer any experience in foreign relations.

If you had actually DEBUNKED anything, I might agree. Since you haven't, except perhaps in your own mind, well...

The only thing I debunked was your faulty logic, upon which you based your assertions that somehow Palin actually has more relevant experience than Obama.

They don't. Just like being governor of Alaska offers zero foreign relations experience, despite the close proximity of (remote parts of) the state with Russia.

So you agree that being governor of Alaska doesn't offer any experience in foreign relations.

The only thing I debunked was your faulty logic, upon which you based your assertions that somehow Palin actually has more relevant experience than Obama.

I am assuming you thought Bill Clinton was qualified. If that is true, you are flip flopping when you say Palin is not. Period
Abraham Lincoln

OK, we know each of their political bios; let's compare their pre-politics bios.

Palin attended 4 colleges (or 5, if you count the fact that she attended one of them on 2 separate occasions) to get a BA in journalism. Then she worked as a sports reporter. She also was in a couple of beauty pageants. To her credit, she was voted Miss Congeniality.

Clinton was a Fulbright Scholar at Georgetown University, where he was also Phi Beta Kappa. Then he attended Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar. Then he got his law degree at Yale. Then he was a professor at University of Arkansas law school, before becoming state attorney general. To his credit, Bill is also widely regarded as Miss Congeniality.

I haven't seen any indication in her experience or her rhetoric to suggest she is as qualified as Obama, Biden, or even McCain.then you are looking with your eyes closed. As to "rhetoric” she does a speech as well if not better than Obama and there is little doubt her impromptu abilities are better

As a state representative, Obama represented a district with more people than the entire state of Alaska. In US Congress, Obama has acquired more foreign policy experience than Palin.Well then you need to square Bidens and others state populations for comparison as well, which I doubt you will, and I do look forward to the proof of Obamas "foreign policy" experience??:D uless that just means you agree with him

But, I'm sure Palin made life very difficult for Alaska's thirty state legislators as she reformed the state legislature. There are undoubtedly many high school teachers that would like to adapt her tactics in their classrooms. Obama, on the other hand, has experience working with the US Congress, which is much larger, and much more diverse.
:D:D

Leave it to an Obama supporter to say "size counts"

:D:D
Abraham Lincoln

OK, we know each of their political bios; let's compare their pre-politics bios.

Palin attended 4 colleges (or 5, if you count the fact that she attended one of them on 2 separate occasions) to get a BA in journalism. Then she worked as a sports reporter. She also was in a couple of beauty pageants. To her credit, she was voted Miss Congeniality.

Clinton was a Fulbright Scholar at Georgetown University, where he was also Phi Beta Kappa. Then he attended Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar. Then he got his law degree at Yale. Then he was a professor at University of Arkansas law school, before becoming state attorney general. To his credit, Bill is also widely regarded as Miss Congeniality.

So which schools, and schooling mean qualifications. Well then no wonder Bush won twice:o

:D

By the way, have you looked at what Obama taught? I have. Have you seen the evals on his teaching? I have.
Abraham Lincoln

I am assuming you thought Bill Clinton was qualified. If that is true, you are flip flopping when you say Palin is not. Period

He was qualified in the sense that he's intelligent, charismatic, and a better option than his opponents. In office he proved himself to be far superior than his two predecessors, as well as his successor, who has proven himself to be a complete failure as POTUS.

Palin is not a better option than her opponents, unless one supports extreme right wing, authoritarian government. Personally, I do not. I'm fond of personal (positive) liberty, which is why I favor Obama/Biden over McCain/Palin.

Except for those states that DO have dealings with other countries - like Alaska, California, Arizona and Texas. Nobody's saying she met Putin, FFS.

Incorrect - I'm saying being governor of Alaska and having an international trade relations department doesn't infringe on the law any more than any other governor.

It's ok, Andy - you liberals can admit that Palin as a VP pick scares the piss out of you...although it's DAMNED fun to watch you all spin at several thousand RPM.

BTW - are all the attacks on Palin the "hope" side or the "change" side of Obama's campaign?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

He was qualified in the sense that he's intelligent, charismatic, and a better option than his opponents. In office he proved himself to be far superior than his two predecessors, as well as his successor, who has proven himself to be a complete failure as POTUS.

Palin is not a better option than her opponents, unless one supports extreme right wing, authoritarian government. Personally, I do not. I'm fond of personal (positive) liberty, which is why I favor Obama/Biden over McCain/Palin.

Ah yes, extreem, now I understand. Hypocrosy is only seen on the left.

YOU have proven you know nothing (other than what you have seen on you "extrem" left wing websites as to her qualifications. Emotion over substance comes to mind. But thanks, it is now easy for me to understand where you are coming from. (and that is NOT meant as a shot)
Abraham Lincoln

As to "rhetoric” she does a speech as well if not better than Obama and there is little doubt her impromptu abilities are better

That's just funny. She is nowhere close to the public speaker that Obama is. If she has such great impromptu abilities, why isn't she allowed to talk with the press except under very controlled conditions?

Leave it to an Obama supporter to say "size counts"

Yes, when an inexperienced pageant queen is promoted as being an experienced executive based on her small town mayor experience and her short stint as the governor of a state with a population smaller than many US cities, it is appropriate to consider the size of the populations which she governed.

Except for those states that DO have dealings with other countries - like Alaska, California, Arizona and Texas. Nobody's saying she met Putin, FFS.

Oh, I see. The dealings don't have to be substantive. Well, that changes everything. I've spoken with several international students today. I guess that means I have experience in foreign relations. Heck, one of my roommates is from China. Maybe I'll be appointed as an ambassador.

Incorrect - I'm saying being governor of Alaska and having an international trade relations department doesn't infringe on the law any more than any other governor.

Interesting how you disregard the Constitution.

It's ok, Andy - you liberals can admit that Palin as a VP pick scares the piss out of you...although it's DAMNED fun to watch you all spin at several thousand RPM.

Would you stop calling me Andy? It's not my name. I don't call you George, do I?

I fear Palin in the White House, because I've seen what a disaster it is to have an unqualified person in the Oval Office. Everything the current POTUS has touched has turned to shit, and that's not a trend I want to see continue.

BTW - are all the attacks on Palin the "hope" side or the "change" side of Obama's campaign?

What attacks are those? Pointing out that she is not qualified for the Oval Office?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DUDE.. He and Obama are those educated elitists in the minds of the dumb as dirt and proud of it crowd... they dont like all that book learnin..Their background and how they managed to educate themselves.. makes no difference in these peoples minds.:S:S

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DUDE.. He and Obama are those educated elitists in the minds of the dumb as dirt and proud of it crowd... they dont like all that book learnin..Their background and how they managed to educate themselves.. makes no difference in these peoples minds.:S:S

Must've been that lack of arugula in their diets.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Oh, I see. The dealings don't have to be substantive. Well, that changes everything. I've spoken with several international students today. I guess that means I have experience in foreign relations. Heck, one of my roommates is from China. Maybe I'll be appointed as an ambassador.

Perhaps you can show me the international dealings that the former Arkansas governor had, since it seems to SUDDENLY be such a KEY issue.

Interesting how you disregard the Constitution.

Incorrect again - I disregard YOUR interpretation of the clause. Large difference.

Would you stop calling me Andy? It's not my name. I don't call you George, do I?

My apologies for the mixup.

I fear Palin in the White House, because I've seen what a disaster it is to have an unqualified person in the Oval Office. Everything the current POTUS has touched has turned to shit, and that's not a trend I want to see continue.

So you're going to vote for an unqualified Senator instead?

What attacks are those? Pointing out that she is not qualified for the Oval Office?

Ah, yes, I forgot - it's only misogyny and smear tactics if it's something said by the Right, isn't it?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

How many foreign countries are visible from Illinois, Professor?

Alaska has a Governor's Office of International Trade - how many offices of international trade has Senator Obama supervised?

EVERY ONE of Alaska's borders are international - how many borders of Illinois are international?

Seems like the Governor has just a tidge more experience with international relations than the Senator, no?

With all that "y'all are just scared of Obama" crap that's been flung around the forum, it's IMMENSELY gratifying to see the shoe on the other foot.

Way too much has been made of the comment about being able to see Russia or the proximity of Russia.

What really goes over the top, however, is your attempt to rationalize it and make it actually mean something. Two of the craziest comments I've read are yours and MikeF's equally absurd rationale that being the point of entry for an invasion ...blah, blah, blah. Who gives a shit?

Was it Laura Bush who originally made the comment? The kick the piss out of her, not Palin.

The most siginificant reason to vote for Obama isn't that McCain dumped his wife or Palin was the mayor of the meth capital of alaska ;) It's that the Republicans fucked us and our constitution for the past eight years ...NO MORE! The same asswads that elected Dubya are now jumping up and down yelling for the same team.

Our country is has travelled down some godawful roads, led by ideological idiots. NO MORE!

So pull your head out of your ideologically constipated ass and think of your country for a change!!
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Perhaps you can show me the international dealings that the former Arkansas governor had, since it seems to SUDDENLY be such a KEY issue.

Perhaps you can show me where I claimed Clinton's tenure as governor of Arkansas gave him foreign policy experience. :S

The last time we voted for a well educated, intelligent candidate, i.e. Clinton, things worked out well for the country.

Perhaps you can show me where I claimed Clinton's tenure as governor of Arkansas gave him foreign policy experience. :S

I never said you did - hence my comment of "since it seems to SUDDENLY be such a KEY issue", above.

The last time we voted for a well educated, intelligent candidate, i.e. Clinton, things worked out well for the country.

Yeah, except for the corporations that were forced overseas. And the tech 'bubble'. And the WTC. And the USS Cole. And the embassies in Africa. And Khobar Towers. And Ruby Ridge. And Waco. And OKC.

But other than that, it was all just puppies and butterflies, right?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706