Butters

Taxation With Representation

You're kidding; right?

A lot of things aren't exactly right with the US, but we certainly DO have representation in Congress. Even the territories that aren't actually states have representation.

What ARE you talking about?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You're kidding; right?

A lot of things aren't exactly right with the US, but we certainly DO have representation in Congress. Even the territories that aren't actually states have representation.

You do realize that I posted a question and not an answer ... don't you? :S
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

You're kidding; right?

Not trying to spin off here but, what about all the so called "fees"? Such as those on phone service and others? There are many out there that are not called taxes but are none the less.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You're kidding; right?

You do realize that I posted a question and not an answer ... don't you? :S

Well, if you want intelligent answers and not just to waste our time with a vague question....

until then, no comment.

Not trying to spin off here but, what about all the so called "fees"? Such as those on phone service and others? There are many out there that are not called taxes but are none the less.

"Fees" are creative "revenue enhancers," or, in plain English, taxes.

Frequently when somebody says something akin to "Read my lips, no new taxes," they'll have to find some way of getting around their gaff to pay for things. Both sides of the aisle have called taxes various things over the years.

I personally think it's bullshit because it makes it difficult to keep track of how many ways and how many times every dollar you earn is really taxed.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Frequently when somebody says something akin to "Read my lips, no new taxes," they'll have to find some way of getting around their gaff to pay for things. Both sides of the aisle have called taxes various things over the years.

I personally think it's bullshit because it makes it difficult to keep track of how many ways and how many times every dollar you earn is really taxed.

Congress ceding legislative authority to executive branch agencies with rule or regulation making authority is one of my peeves. Where there are going to be civil or criminal penalties for non-compliance as with a law, call it a law and make it clear the legislative hurdles that entails.

"Fees" are just a minor example of where this p roblem exists.

Do we currently have taxation with representation?

In DC, they don't think so. (attached)

Did the Constitution promise a geopolitical entity like D.C. representation? I'm not even sure that D.C. existed when the Constitution was ratified. I know that the seat of the federal government was New York City before it was D.C., though.

So if anything, it was someone's decision to screw that up and not give D.C. representation in Congress. But they had to make sure that the seat of the fedgov wasn't contained in any single state! :S

I am not crazy about the idea of D.C. expressing a sarcastic protest using an official license plate. Is that the official plate of D.C., the one that all residents get, or is it an option to choose that plate?
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Yet again, we agree.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>Did the Constitution promise a geopolitical entity like D.C. representation? I'm not even sure that D.C. existed when the Constitution was ratified.

No, but as for this discussion that's moot.

Are the citizens of DC fully represented now? No.
Are they fully taxed now? Yes.

>I am not crazy about the idea of D.C. expressing a sarcastic protest using an official license plate.

Sarcastic? Hardly. It's simply a point of fact. We shouldn't fear or denigrate the truth.

It's the general issue plate, but one can opt out.

(edited: oops, left off the part about the plate)
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts