pop

When does the soul enter a body?

so how do you explain transsexuals? People who seem to believe that they have the "soul" (or whatever word you wanna use) of one sex, but they're in the body of the opposite sex.

Are you assuming that the brains of males and females are identical, and work identically? BTW, I think transexuals believe they have the gender of one sex, but the genitalia of the other.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

>If we're just a physical collection of parts, shouldn't they just STFU & be
>happy with what they have?

I don't get that. You could have a fairly benign back problem that would leave you in agonizing pain. I am sure you are smart enough to know that pain is just a neurochemical sensation brought about by various problems with your body - does that mean you should just STFU and live that way? Or would you go to a doctor to see what he could do?

>If we're just a physical collection of parts, shouldn't they just STFU & be
>happy with what they have?

I don't get that. You could have a fairly benign back problem that would leave you in agonizing pain. I am sure you are smart enough to know that pain is just a neurochemical sensation brought about by various problems with your body - does that mean you should just STFU and live that way? Or would you go to a doctor to see what he could do?

Depends what kind of dotor. In Western medicine we treat symptoms of problems with drugs, but rarely address the real problem. That's not always a solution.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

I also agree that that was the best reply.:D

Anyway, it is my belief that the soul is created at the time of conception. No one, and I truly mean no one has proven to me that life begins at any other time.

Can you guess what my beliefs are regarding abortion?:P

I also agree that that was the best reply.:D

Anyway, it is my belief that the soul is created at the time of conception. No one, and I truly mean no one has proven to me that life begins at any other time.

Can you guess what my beliefs are regarding abortion?:P

The thing is no one, and I truly mean no one can prove when life begins...period. This is why I think people should arrive at their own conclusions and be free to make medical decisions on the basis of those conclusions.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

We all seem to know when death began, but we just can't figure out when life begins. Convenient for those who wish to impose their own will on someone elses life.

Are you referring to brain death? Cessation of respiration/circulation? All three? If the lack of a pulse, breathing, and brain function qualifies as death, than wouldn't it take the combination of all three to constitute life?

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

We all seem to know when death began, but we just can't figure out when life begins. Convenient for those who wish to impose their own will on someone elses life.

Are you referring to brain death? Cessation of respiration/circulation? All three? If the lack of a pulse, breathing, and brain function qualifies as death, than wouldn't it take the combination of all three to constitute life?

Blues,
Dave

Or what about death of the "soul"? Like those old married couples where one dies... and the other passes soon there after because of the loss of the will to live?

But... back on topic.

I believe that it "enters" when conception occurs. But true "awareness" of that soul takes days, weeks, months, years even decades for some to achieve. And some never do.

I think that your question presupposes the "soul" exists. Something there is no evidence of at all.

What he said. I have no reason to believe there's such a thing as a "soul."

Blues,
Dave

If we dont have a soul, then why arent we all the same? Even identical twins, with the exact same genetic makeup, have differences. There is an extra ingredient thrown in there somewhere, right?

I think that your question presupposes the "soul" exists. Something there is no evidence of at all.

Blues,
Dave

If we dont have a soul, then why arent we all the same? Even identical twins, with the exact same genetic makeup, have differences. There is an extra ingredient thrown in there somewhere, right?

So... animals, other than humans, are all the same? Or do they have souls as well?

Blues,
Dave

So... animals, other than humans, are all the same? Or do they have souls as well?

Following my logic above.. no, animals are not all the same. Yes, they have souls as well.

Blues,
Dave

Following my logic above.. no, animals are not all the same. Yes, they have souls as well.

What about Bacteria, bugs, plants etc?

Would clones (identicle copies) share the same soul?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Blues,
Dave

For one thing, we have substantial genetic differences. For another, we live substantially different lives. If one infant twin always gets the first boob when hungry, or one child is dropped by his father while the other is not, or one child gets his first taste of rocky road ice cream when mom's placating him over a name-calling incident while the other gets his in the middle of a day of swimming...there are essentially infinite variations that should just about guarantee we get some differences.

If you took two clones, isolated them, and went to extreme efforts ensure they lived the exact same life...same food, same sleep pattern, same stimuli...I suspect they wouldn't be all that different from each other at the end of the test. In the real world, we live different lives, and we develop different memories and associations as a result of those variations.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Blues,
Dave

...and, therefore, the difference must be something supernatural? This makes no sense to me. Yes, there is a difference among identical siblings. The difference is to be found in nature. Just as with the origins of the universe or anything else, an absence of full understanding of something does not logically mean that the answer should be presumed to be supernatural. It just means that either our society or our species has not - yet - achieved the sophistication needed to come to that full understanding.

Children naturally presume supernatural explanations for phenomena they don't fully understand, such as "monsters under the bed" for the creaks and bumps in the night. Ages ago, it may have been reasonable for adults to do so, too. But in modern times, there's really no excuse for educated adults to do so. At best, such beliefs are vestigal, as your coxxyx is to the tails your very distant ancestors once had.

>If we dont have a soul, then why arent we all the same?

No two snowflakes are the same; they don't have souls.

>Even identical twins, with the exact same genetic makeup, have
>differences.

Of course. That's because their experiences are different. And since twins do not eat exactly the same food, their physical makeup is different, too.

My mother's side of the family is Buddhist, my dad's side of the family is Catholic...happy family nontheless. Growing up, I leaned more towards Buddhist practices. Through my research, I've visited many temples & interviewed numerous Buddhist monks for the purposes of 1. college term paper on religious belief, 2 & 3 & 4 & so on are for me to understand more of the practice & believes.

One of the many topic was Death & Rebirth: the Monks explained -

The soul enters the fetus several moments after conception. However it only stays there for several seconds, just enough to bond with it so that no other entity can. Then over the course of development of the fetus, the soul visits the fetus at increasing amounts and lengths of time. This reduces the shock of the soul coming into physical reality. However even after physical birth the soul is not fully bonded to the infant. This is a safety measure as well as a factor that it takes time for a nonphysical being to become completely connected in physical reality. By the age of 2 the soul is fully connected to the infant and the memory of its nonphysical existence is fading away. By the time the child speaks all memory of the soul's previous existence is gone and a new life awaits it.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Very interesting description.

Yes, quite interesting! Especially, hearing it from the older monks....they have so much to say & the way they say things...make sense yet ....really makes you think. :)
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492