tombuch

Skydiver Running for Vermont State Representative

Hey Folks:

I’ve recently announced that I’m running to serve as a State Representative in Vermont, and wanted to slip into this forum and introduce my campaign, and seek the support of the broader skydiving community.

Many of you probably already know me, or at least know my writing from the Skydiving Forums (General, Safety and Training, Gear, Instructors, Incidents). I’ve been jumping for more than 25 years, have been rated as an instructor in every discipline recognized by USPA, and served as the Safety and Training Advisor at The Ranch for six years. These days I tend to jump at Vermont Skydiving Adventures…it’s a small and friendly Cessna drop zone, and one of just two DZ’s in the state of Vermont. I’ve made fifty BASE jumps and served as an organizer of the Bridge Day event from about 1985-1993, made wing suit jumps, camera jumps, and done some skysurfing. I’ve lived in New York, Connecticut, and Vermont, and traveled through all fifty states, and have jumped in many of them.

As a skydiver, BASE jumper, and S&TA I’ve focused on allowing experienced skydivers personal freedom, while demanding that drop zones provide quality training and supervision to students and inexperienced jumpers until they can provide informed consent and make their own decisions. That’s a pretty good reflection of my approach to politics. That is, I think we have community interests and personal freedoms that need to be carefully balanced.

I’m running as a moderate Democrat against a five term (10 year) Republican incumbent. This rural district includes five towns (Londonderry, Jamaica, Weston, Winhall, Stratton), touches on three counties (Windham, Windsor, Bennington), and covers more than 200 square miles. It’ll be a tough campaign.

My focus is on reducing property taxes, creating a comprehensive state energy plan, and improving access to health care for all Vermonters. I come at politics from a position based on core values, holding that in the most prosperous nation on earth we shouldn’t allow our neighbors to starve for lack of food, freeze for lack of heat, or get sick and die for lack of medical care. I believe that as a state and nation we have a moral obligation to ensure each person’s basic human needs are met, while creating economic opportunity that will grow the economy. The decisions we make now will establish investment principles that will shape the future of our communities, state, and nation, and should be focused on building a strong economic foundation. It’s a tough time to think about helping our neighbors and investing in our future, but I believe that’s the only way we can compete in the larger global economy.

I obviously have a background in drop zone politics, but more than that I’ve been serving as a Commissioner on a regional planning commission that covers 27 towns in Southeastern Vermont. I sit on the Project Review Committee and the Executive Board, and chair the Energy Committee. That experience has given me a good foundation in balancing growth issues, and in focusing on long range planning.

I’d sure appreciate any support you can offer. Dollars help immensely. I have a page on MySpace that is now devoted to the campaign, and encourage you to check it out at www.MySpace.com/LifeOfTomBuchanan. My skydiving background is discussed under the “General” heading on the left. My life and political experience is covered on the right under the “Background” heading, and issues are about halfway down the page on the right. There is a more formal request for financial contributions up near the top of the page on the right under “Blog Entries.”

You can also check out some of my writings as an S&TA on The Ranch web site at http://theblueskyranch.com/STA.php, and might be familiar with my book JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy. If you click my forum name “tombuch” to the left you can read all of my posts on this site going back to 2002, and if you are really into digging you can find my historical posts on the original rec.skydiving.

If you know other jumpers who are interested in Vermont issues, or who might be willing to send a few dollars my way, please share this post. That especially goes for folks who are part of the skydiving community, but who don’t frequent this forum.

Blue skies,
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

While I don't agree with your politics, I wish you a good race, and I hope you and your competitor make it interesting for the voters.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Who is your speech writer? I was just elected into office in my local union and I need help w/ my acceptence speech at my swearing in in 10 days. Damn. They want me to wear nice clothes and shit.[:/]

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Who is your speech writer? I was just elected into office in my local union and I need help w/ my acceptence speech at my swearing in in 10 days. Damn. They want me to wear nice clothes and shit.[:/]

:D:D

Your speech should begin:

Comrades!

:ph34r::ph34r:

j/k I've had to prepare comments for speeches on numerous occasions. If you start with an outline, and add a few bullets to each point, you may be able to ad-lib the comments (with some practice). It eases the labors of having to write a "speech" to be given verbatim.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

:D:D

Your speech should begin:

Comrades!

:ph34r::ph34r:

j/k I've had to prepare comments for speeches on numerous occasions. If you start with an outline, and add a few bullets to each point, you may be able to ad-lib the comments (with some practice). It eases the labors of having to write a "speech" to be given verbatim.

Comrads is o so true:D:D;)[:/] Good luck Tom.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Good luck Tom,

I see that your current position is appointed. The first time you see your name on an official ballot in a voting booth is kind of interesting, and humbling. At least for me. As is the first time you see the results and try to figure out who the hell are all the people who voted for you. You don't have that many family members!;)

I'm in the 3rd year of my 3rd 4-year term as City Council member of Portage MI, pop. about 45000.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE