Gawain

The Problems Facing America's Largest Inner Cities is Caused by:

This is sort of on the coat-tails of the Heller v. DC thread.

There was a reference about high-crime rates etc. However, whenever someone brings that stuff up, I think about all these programs which were supposed to end poverty, poor medical care, the "great society" of President Johnson...

None of these goals have been achieved, yet somehow, with a track record of near 0%, people still advocate more "government" solutions.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

An underfunded, or poorly conceived/implemented solution hardly equals a well funded, well executed solution. Agreed?

It's like saying, "All we need in Iraq is one big surge, and it could be over!"

Sure, you can typically resolve issues with brute force (e.g. the "wrestling coach method"), but you have to have the legitimate resources to brute force your problem.

The Problems Facing America's Largest Inner Cities are Caused by: Poverty

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

You REALLY needed to make that a multiple answer poll... I think it's a combination of 2, 3, 5 and 6.

If I get some of those on the "right" whining about the lack of choices too...then I figure it's just right...:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

But what causes poverty? Many of the factors listed in the above poll.

I think if you were to argue that, you could go deeper and deeper in causes. I think you could also argue that poverty contributes to the "causes" listed above.

If you are financially better off, are you dependant on social welfare programs which may not be very effective?

If you are financially better off, are you more likely to be exposed to better health education/birth control/clinical resources?

If you are financially better off, is being a single mother/father as big of a deal?

Money ALWAYS plays a primary role, whether we want it to or not.

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

You REALLY needed to make that a multiple answer poll... I think it's a combination of 2, 3, 5 and 6.

Wow... we just agreed on something.:P

(paraphrase)

"We are more alike, my friend, than we are unalike"

;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

An underfunded, or poorly conceived/implemented solution hardly equals a well funded, well executed solution. Agreed?

Since when has any government provided that?

It's like saying, "All we need in Iraq is one big surge, and it could be over!"

Yep, looks that way.

The Problems Facing America's Largest Inner Cities are Caused by: Poverty

Well, what causes poverty?
We are all engines of karma

If you are financially better off, is being a single mother/father as big of a deal?

What you surround your children with is critically important.

Yep. Don't produce children you can't afford. Keep it in your pants, otherwise.

reply]

Yep. Don't produce children you can't afford. Keep it in your pants, otherwise.

Hey, I'm not really certain you're aware of this, but it's actually possible for people to have sex and not create children.

"Keep it in your pants" really isn't the answer here, because people are going to have sex. However, even a little sex education and family planning can go a long way.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

"Keep it in your pants" really isn't the answer here, because people are going to have sex. However, even a little sex education and family planning can go a long way.

Agreed. By using the word "afford", I didn't mean purely economic terms. I've seen plenty of large extended families that provide enormous support for their children. I've seen single parent households provide enormous support for their children.

So, I'll rephrase my statement:
If you can't support your children, don't produce them.

underfunded? $10 trillion for War on Poverty programs since 1965?

What causes the poverty? If $10 trillion can't solve it, it's pretty clear that the "poverty" is not caused by lack of funding, right?

How much have we spent on the military in that time?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

underfunded? $10 trillion for War on Poverty programs since 1965?

What causes the poverty? If $10 trillion can't solve it, it's pretty clear that the "poverty" is not caused by lack of funding, right?

How much have we spent on the military in that time?

I dunno. You mean, hiring the poor instead of paying them to stay poor?

I suppose that had we not had those cutbacks in the 1990's we would have had more poor enlist in the service and break those bonds.

Alas, we couldn't afford to recruit more poor kids into the military, and poverty remains.

Is that your point? Had we spent more, then enlistment would be a better option? I certainly agree that troops should get paid more.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

There was a reference about high-crime rates etc. However, whenever someone brings that stuff up, I think about all these programs which were supposed to end poverty, poor medical care, the "great society" of President Johnson...

None of these goals have been achieved, yet somehow, with a track record of near 0%, people still advocate more "government" solutions.

The thread title and the your post bring up some intellectually provocative issues -- that are only going to increase as the world's demographics shift to mega-cities, become less rural, and more globalized.

Much of the thread title does not seem to relate to the accompanying post upon further consideration ... there is no poverty in rural areas? There is no lack of adequate medical care in rural areas? What proportion of large and small urban homelessness is due to mental illness? (Having spent considerable time as a volunteer with the Catholic Worker Movement -- completely non-govt supported -- in a small city surrounded by very rural cornfields and less intensively as a volunteer at a battered women's shelter in LA, mental illness and "family" violence were the two largest contributors I witnessed. In the former, there was a depressingly large number of Vietnam & Gulf War I veterans.) Which states have the higher divorce rates? What states receive the highest amount of federal aid per capita? (None of them have large urban areas.)

Otoh, there is advocacy of proposals like 'gas tax' holidays that disproportionately benefit rural citizens (people in cities proportionately drive less, use public transportation more so benefit less from gas tax holidays). The largest contributor to rise in gas prices is the global market ... not "government" (& not anyone's policy.)

Cities -- large and small -- are also the drivers of the economy and drivers of innovation. We've all heard I hope at some point that if California were an independent country, it would have somewhere between the 7th & 11th largest GDP, largely because of SF Bay area, greater LA area, and more recently greater SD area. Similar patterns in Boston, NYC, Chicago, Denver, Seattle-Tacoma, Atlanta, etc.

Can you provide some evidence to support your assertion of "near 0%" success?

How does the situation in the US' largest cities compare to other vibrant capitalistic democracies, e.g., India, Canada, Japan, and Norway? Or other large urban areas with fewer or no "Great Society" type social programs, e.g., Dhaka, Karachi, Lagos?

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Well, what causes poverty?

That's a legitimate question that a lot of folks have asked.

Among those who have suggested answers, the leading ones don't reflect any of the poll choices above - institutional corruption, greed of those in power/with power, exploitation of those without any due course to pursue redress -- significantly including lack of women's and children's right -- is a very rough distillation of voluminous works of economist Amartya Sen.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Problems in inner cities are caused by cities allowing low income areas to enlarge to a point that is not manageable by social programs.

The only way to reduce crime and area-wide collapse is to disperse low income housing and revitalize problem areas. That is easily said.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Why aren't "too many government solutions" one of your poll options then?

Is it me or is there more of a "warm, fuzzy, lets all just get along" thing going on in SC tonight? People who are always at each other's throats seem to be nodding and even smiling at little at each other.

It's kinda nice. :$
Owned by Remi #?