nerdgirl

US Foreign Policy Toward Iran

The next US President’s foreign policy toward Iran has gotten a lot of attention.

Do you think it should? Why or why not?

What would you like to see the US foreign policy toward Iran be in the next President’s administration & why?

I’m interested in reading both US and non-US opinions. I may actually be more curious to read non-US opinions.

To start, I’ve appended below excerpts from Sen McCain and Sen Obama’s website on their vision for US foreign policy toward Iran.

What are both candidates missing?

VR/Marg

From Sen McCain’s website, which is under the heading Strategy for Victory in Iraq:
Call for international pressure on Syria and Iran

“Syria and Iran have aided and abetted the violence in Iraq for too long. Syria has refused to crack down on Iraqi insurgents and foreign terrorists operating within its territory. Iran has been providing the most extreme and violent Shia militias with training, weapons, and technology that kill American and Iraqi troops. American military spokesmen have also said there is evidence that Iran has provided aid to Sunni insurgents.

“The answer is not unconditional dialogues with these two dictatorships from a position of weakness. The answer is for the international community to apply real pressure to Syria and Iran to change their behavior. The United States must also bolster its regional military posture to make clear to Iran our determination to protect our forces and deter Iranian intervention.”
(Surprisingly, to me, Sen McCain doesn't have a "Foreign Policy" specific area of his website ... unless I missed it?)

From Sen Obama’s website, under the heading Foreign Policy:
Iran

The Problem: Iran has sought nuclear weapons, supports militias inside Iraq and terror across the region, and its leaders threaten Israel and deny the Holocaust. But Obama believes that we have not exhausted our non-military options in confronting this threat; in many ways, we have yet to try them. That's why Obama stood up to the Bush administration's warnings of war, just like he stood up to the war in Iraq.

Opposed Bush-Cheney Saber Rattling: Obama opposed the Kyl-Lieberman amendment, which says we should use our military presence in Iraq to counter the threat from Iran. Obama believes that it was reckless for Congress to give George Bush any justification to extend the Iraq War or to attack Iran. Obama also introduced a resolution in the Senate declaring that no act of Congress – including Kyl-Lieberman – gives the Bush administration authorization to attack Iran.

Diplomacy: Obama is the only major candidate who supports tough, direct presidential diplomacy with Iran without preconditions. Now is the time to pressure Iran directly to change their troubling behavior. Obama would offer the Iranian regime a choice. If Iran abandons its nuclear program and support for terrorism, we will offer incentives like membership in the World Trade Organization, economic investments, and a move toward normal diplomatic relations. If Iran continues its troubling behavior, we will step up our economic pressure and political isolation. Seeking this kind of comprehensive settlement with Iran is our best way to make progress.”

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

The next US President’s foreign policy toward Iran has gotten a lot of attention.

Do you think it should? Why or why not?

What would you like to see the US foreign policy toward Iran be in the next President’s administration & why?

I’m interested in reading both US and non-US opinions. I may actually be more curious to read non-US opinions.

To start, I’ve appended below excerpts from Sen McCain and Sen Obama’s website on their vision for US foreign policy toward Iran.

What are both candidates missing?

I think you are assuming that George does not go off half cocked again and attack them before his tenure is up. Personally I dont think he can resist attackeing them for their importation of IED... their nuclear program.. or just because they are the other member of the Axis of Evil and ripe for attack because God tells him to:S

Then anyone who IS elected will have to deal with the wider war that King George has saddled them with.:S

For the sake of argument, let's assume that doesn't happen, e.g., GEN Petraeus is now head of CENTCOM so he keeps the CINC and VP focused on Iraq.

What would you like to see the next President's foreign policy toward Iran be?

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I think you are assuming that George does not go off half cocked again and attack them before his tenure is up.

It's a fair assumption to make - there is little reason to believe that he could start such an action on such short notice. He took months with Iraq, and that was with a Congress owned by his party, and a public that was ready to kill anything. Neither condition apply now.

This will fall on the next president to resolve, so what each candidate proposes is quite important. Though Obama's answer sounds very much like the UN inaction with dealing with Iraq ("just a little more time for inspectors"), at least it has much more specifics than McCain offers.

I've mixed opinions about it. I think only a moron would meet Ahmadinejad sans preconditions - or even directly. What would they discuss? The weather? Given his public views on the Holocaust, Israel, and Jews, it would be somewhat difficult to have a serious conversation with him on regional foreign policy.

I think that isolation has cost us dearly in the past, however, and don't like full blown isolation with regards to Iran either - or Cuba for that matter. Doha Round of trade talks might be something we could engage them on for a bit of US-Iranian cooperation. Anti-piracy efforts in the Arabian Gulf perhaps? Environmental issues might be something to discuss.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

first...ratchet DOWN all the talk of war, and attack, and isolation...

invite the leader(s) of Iran... Amadinejad (sp), as well as Miltary Generals, Religious Leaders, and , current Reigning scientists , and heads of Academia, to a summit in Switzerland...

(emphasis, on the location,,,as it it a world accepted place of Neutrality...and non Agression)

Our president should extend a hand... if a hand is extended in return, it should be shook.

Then sit down and get to the sociological, cultural , ethical and moral foundations of what it will take to begin looking at ALL of us, as a World community...( notice i left OUT the Politicians, Lawyers, and Financiers)

Hell ,,, show them a bit of respect.... Try to indicate to them that maybe we are not as well versed in the ways, of that part of the world, as our current leaders so arrogantly,
assume themselves to be...

Capitalism and democracy offer both good and bad...and frankly neither one has proven itself to be the absolute and " end all be all " for any society....even ours...

The ways of the orient and of the middle east and of southern asia have well documented histories, going back to the time before Christ...

many of those cultures, did just fine, for thousands of years,,,, With great developments in art, and culture, and technology...

The trouble has come forward in the last few hundred years or so, ( 4 or 5 hundred if you figure in european expansionism and colonialism.. ) as other parts of the world have encroached on the area which was once Persia, corrupting the cultures, stripping the value and resources, "enslaving ' the people, and wielding "influence" where it was not wanted.[:/]

Enter the USA, in the latter half of the 20th century...
I seem to recall that we funded, encouraged and supported the former Shah of Iran....
a man who lived in a Golden House, with immeasurable oppulence, and who simultaneously, was so drunk with wealth, that he let his own people suffer poverty and loss....

Iran is located in a Pivotal geographic crossroads , between eastern europe, It borders turkey...and souther asia, it borders pakistan.
it has more coastline on the Persian Gulf than the next 5 countries, combined, and it shares many hundreds of miles of border with Iraq...

The new president cannot in clear conscience demand a halt to nuclear power, simply "because we said so".......:S:|
we should understand that nuclear bombs are not a certain byproduct of nuclear technology.....but a possibility....
There should exist by now, a worldwide monitoring system which tracks such developments.....and nuclear to generate electricity, seems acceptable to me...

Our president should expect respect, because we offer respect..... not because we DEMAND it....
Our president would do well to recognize that WE ( the USA ) have not been ordained as the official World's babysitter.....and would do well to work together with other countries, and not in defiance of them...the term unilateral comes to mind ..
Strength through compassion, and common sense, and consideration of the culture and histories of other nations can go far towards changing the way that these other countries view us...
The president should communicate, to best determine the proper course of action.
And should work for peace.... peacefully...

Why.....???? because the very Life of this planet depends on it. We can remain a bunch of individual and seperate countries, each more arrogant than the next,, China, Korea, included... ( But NOT Australia,,, Australia just might be the model by which the others come into step....) or we can work toward what i feel is waaay overdue... a World community, wherein countries become more like provinces, or districts of the greater whole,,,namely the planet earth.....
that's why.....:)

jmy

The new president cannot in clear conscience demand a halt to nuclear power, simply "because we said so".......:S:|
we should understand that nuclear bombs are not a certain byproduct of nuclear technology.....but a possibility....
There should exist by now, a worldwide monitoring system which tracks such developments.....and nuclear to generate electricity, seems acceptable to me...

Let's not kid ourselves - Iran is seeking the bomb, just as Syria was doing. If they are signees to the NPT (Syria is, not sure with Iran), it's a treaty violation.

So you're suggessting we sit down and have high tea with them? :S And we'll tell the Iranians we're sorry we don't like them very much but maybe we could all just find a way to get along.

Let's see...we're talking about the #1 sponsor of state terrorism, the UN has passed resolutions deploring it's human rights record, they've refuse IAEA access to documents, sites, and the peole the agency requested to interview, and let's not forget that little problem in 1979-80...444 days of it.

You can't talk to these peole one on one. You need pressure from Russia, China, the Brits, the EU, and Iran's ME neighbors.

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>You can't talk to these peole one on one.

Better get on the horn to the Bush administration right away, then. Robert Gates, Bush's secretary of defense:

"We need to figure out a way to develop some leverage with respect to the Iranians and then sit down and talk with them. If there's going to be a discussion, then they need something, too. We can't go to a discussion and be completely the demander with them not feeling that they need anything from us."

And McCain:

Q: Do you think that American diplomats should be operating the way they have in the past, working with the Palestinian government if Hamas is now in charge?"

MCCAIN: They're the government; sooner or later we are going to have to deal with them, one way or another, and I understand why this administration and previous administrations had such antipathy towards Hamas because of their dedication to violence and the things that they not only espouse but practice, so . . . but it's a new reality in the Middle East. I think the lesson is people want security and a decent life and decent future, that they want democracy. Fatah was not giving them that.

they've refuse IAEA access to documents, sites, and the peole the agency requested to interview

Could you please give some specific examples? To exactly which documents, sites and people are you referring?

the UN has passed resolutions deploring it's human rights record

The UNSC has passed many (dozens?) resolutions addressing Israel, including their behavior as an occupying force, many of which have not been complied with by Israel. Should we cease diplomatic relations with Israel? If not, why not? How are they different?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

they've refuse IAEA access to documents, sites, and the peole the agency requested to interview

Could you please give some specific examples? To exactly which documents, sites and people are you referring?

the UN has passed resolutions deploring it's human rights record

The UNSC has passed many (dozens?) resolutions addressing Israel, including their behavior as an occupying force, many of which have not been complied with by Israel. Should we cease diplomatic relations with Israel? If not, why not? How are they different?

"If... ElBaradei is right then there is no reason that Iran stops ElBaradei and the IAEA [the UN nuclear watchdog] from carrying out inspections," Mr Morin told reporters on a visit to Abu Dhabi.

"If [the nuclear programme] is only civil what would be the reason to stop international inspections?"

The IAEA has some access to Iranian nuclear facilities but Tehran's refusal to allow intrusive inspections means the UN cannot verify the absence of undeclared nuclear material.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7068478.stm

You want to compare Israel to Iran? Reaching a bit aren't you?

Destinations by Roxanne

>You can't talk to these peole one on one.

Better get on the horn to the Bush administration right away, then. Robert Gates, Bush's secretary of defense:

"We need to figure out a way to develop some leverage with respect to the Iranians and then sit down and talk with them. If there's going to be a discussion, then they need something, too. We can't go to a discussion and be completely the demander with them not feeling that they need anything from us."

And McCain:

Q: Do you think that American diplomats should be operating the way they have in the past, working with the Palestinian government if Hamas is now in charge?"

MCCAIN: They're the government; sooner or later we are going to have to deal with them, one way or another, and I understand why this administration and previous administrations had such antipathy towards Hamas because of their dedication to violence and the things that they not only espouse but practice, so . . . but it's a new reality in the Middle East. I think the lesson is people want security and a decent life and decent future, that they want democracy. Fatah was not giving them that.

How convenient the rest of his response is missing from your quote.

Rubin then asked: "So, should we -- the United States be dealing with that new reality through normal diplomatic contacts to get the job done for the United States?" McCain responded: "I think the United States should take a step back, see what they do when they form their government, see what their policies are, and see the ways that we can engage with them. And if there aren't any, there may be a hiatus. But I think part of the relationship is going to be dictated by how Hamas acts, not how the United States acts."

Destinations by Roxanne

Step : Perfect the ABM system, with extensive testing until we achieve 100% interceptions.

Step 2: Make the test results very public, and demonstrative.

Step 3: The first time anything gets its motor warmed up in a prelaunch sequence, the entire region dies.

Step 4: Bring the Iranians to the table in Geneva to atone for the decades of terrorism, and the direct attacks on US Personnel, as well as sovereign territory.

Step 5: In bringing the Iranians to the table to discuss the dismantling of their Nuclear Research Program, also bring the other members of the UN Security Council with us to provide a unamimous front.

Step 6: Upon acceptance of our terms, cooperation with all inspections, and the arrest and turn in of known terrorism suspects, along with providing the list of all involved with the network, we will give them Most Favored Nation Status after a period of 10 years of absolute compliance.

Diplomacy is not always just bending over to see what you get;):oB|

How many wars have we started in the past 20 years?
How many wars has Iran started in the past 20 years?

The reason I ask the questions is to point out our hypocrisy. How can we claim to be a peaceful nation?
How can we tell others to not arm them selves yet we have the biggest budget spent on weapons?

How can we call Iran a humane rights violator when we have hundreds of thousands of dead civilians on our hands.

The world is not blind.
McCains policy is the redneck policy that we have had for the past 8 years.
"What there different they don’t agree with every thing we say there evil then". Anyone who would rather shoot first and talk later is an idiot specially when no one is shooting at them.

Obama has a better idea. I believe if the country was more accepting to facts then waving the flag he would even go further at least I hope he would.
Unfortunately we have idiots who care more about what pin the guy has on then what he stand for.

“Opposed Bush-Cheney Saber Rattling”

Absolutely, kind of makes it hard to have any conversation when your calling them names and threatening to invade doesn’t it?

“Diplomacy: Obama is the only major candidate who supports tough, direct presidential diplomacy with Iran without preconditions.

I don’t think talking has ever hurt as much as bullets and bombs.
The fact that a president is refusing to talk is not a sign of strength but a sign of ignorance and stubbornness.

Talking is always a good idea not only if it works even if it fails specially if we make the attempt.

“***The Problem: Iran has sought nuclear weapons, supports militias inside Iraq and terror across the region, and its leaders threaten Israel and deny the Holocaust.

Who cares what the leaders believe ours believes he talks to god.

This is another case of hypocrisy. We have a problem with Iran’s words yet we excuse and support Israeli action, which involves direct military strikes of a preemptive nature. Not to mention is a gross human rights violator and has violated more UN resolutions then Iraq.

Again the world is not blind.

When we actually become a symbol of freedom, justice and act like the rednecks think we act then maybe we are at a place to criticize others.

Right now I believe the world sees us as an opportunistic predator whose values and principles change to fit there goal………………………Wow I guess Hillary should have a good chance then.:|
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

"If... ElBaradei is right then there is no reason that Iran stops ElBaradei and the IAEA [the UN nuclear watchdog] from carrying out inspections," Mr Morin told reporters on a visit to Abu Dhabi.

"If [the nuclear programme] is only civil what would be the reason to stop international inspections?"

The IAEA has some access to Iranian nuclear facilities but Tehran's refusal to allow intrusive inspections means the UN cannot verify the absence of undeclared nuclear material.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7068478.stm

Let's not forget that the IAEA stood alone in their belief that Iraq lacked WMD.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) Iran allows all the inspections required by the international treaties to which they are a party.

You want to compare Israel to Iran? Reaching a bit aren't you?

It's a fair comparison.

Step : Perfect the ABM system, with extensive testing until we achieve 100% interceptions.

That's quite a big step to be the first one on the list. How about perfecting the tricorder first? It might be cheaper and easier and I can use it for my work.
Secondly, after you kill "the entire region" are you expecting anyone to sell us oil or are we just going to go in and take it over? If you don't claim the region as your own then we're going to be screwed. Our economy can't handle anything less. And what do you think the other countries in the world will do in response to our heavy handed nature? It's a new world. Having the most guns isn't going to cut it anymore.

Hmmm...in the last 20 years...

How many innocents have Iran's surrogates in Hezbollah and Hamas killed?

How many leaders have they assassinated?

How many people have they kidnapped?

How many different Lebanese governments has Hezbollah overthrown (or tried to) at Iran's behest?

WHat has Iran's antics done to the Lebanese people? i'll answer: SCREW THEM OVER. They've an incredible ocean, educated multi-lingual populace, and superb wineries, ski slopes, the wonders of Baalbek, and other tourist draws. Lots of $$ should be coming in there but aren't - and who's the reason? IRAN - I'd say Hezbollah, but Iran is running them.

Engaging Iran directly at the Presidential level is not really an option as long as they're a state sponsor of terrorism. Other issues, such as trade, are an option. Until they cease such antics, no President in his right mind would meet directly with them. Until they stop such garbage, all contact/cooperation - and there should be some - should be at lower levels. Perhaps Mr. Ahmadinejad could send the President a 444 rose bouquet and announce he's ceasing all support for Hezbollah if he's interested in speaking with the US at the presidential level.

:S

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

No, but if we only put forth the resources we have been throwing away in wasteful programs which do no good whatsoever, it can be done.

To think that we cannot do this is ludicrous, heck if we put a man on th emoon in the 1960s, we sure as hell can do this now.

We have far too many people who hold office in this country dragging their feet, and wasting taxpayers resources.

The other countries would not do much of anything except scream at the top of their lungs as to why we attacked when it was only goiing to be launched "for testing purposes" over the north pole.

Mind you that they would ignore the warhead that was on it.[:/]

Like it or not, nobody is going to believe that launching a nuclear strike on us is a good idea.

The Iranian government may do it, or the North Koreans may do it, but they may be of the mindset that they can get away with it, or that they have nothing to lose.

Knowing for certain that they will lose everything , is certainly an effective deterrent.

No, but if we only put forth the resources we have been throwing away in wasteful programs which do no good whatsoever, it can be done.

It's among the most wasteful programs of the military, if it doesn't top the list. The chances of it ever working reliably near 100% are somewhere between slim and none, closer to the latter.

Would you use a BB gun to kill houseflies before they land?