Iceburner

Supporting the troops

[/begin rant]
After reading a lot of comments here, it has me wondering how many people really do support their troops...not just say they do, but no shit support them. When i was driving to my last duty station, i met someone who did...i had some car trouble, and the mechanic fixed it for free, saying that after what "we" (the us military) have gone through that it was a small price to pay. However, i've heard many other people say "thanks" and "we support you" and then turn around and say we should convict the military on war crimes, and how evil we all are...it's a fuckin war, not pink teddy bears and fluffly bunnies. Evil shit happens, support us or dont, but i'm sick and tired of everyone getting their jollies by offering up an empty "thank you" so he/she can look good in the eyes of those around them.

Do you support your troops? Have you sent any gifts to soldiers, sailors, or Marines overseas? Have you helped out any of the spouses with everyday duties that seem to stack up when her husband or his wife is away? It's one thing to say you support your troops, but it's entirely different to show that you do...

[/end rant]

Interesting post. I think alot of people say it because they think its the thing to do, or because they gaven't got a clue.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

>However, i've heard many other people say "thanks" and "we support
>you" and then turn around and say we should convict the military on war
>crimes, and how evil we all are...

Yep. And I have heard other people saying "we support the troops" and then voting down veteran's assistance - or supporting sending them to their deaths for political causes. And no matter what side of the aisle you are on, sending a man to his death is the opposite of supporting him.

And no matter what side of the aisle you are on, sending a man to his death is the opposite of supporting him.

Overdramatize much?

"War is an extension of politics" - Clausewitz

The military does not exist to be wrapped in cotton wool, and every person that volunteered for the military knows that the possibility exists they could be called to combat and could lose their life in combat.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The military does not exist to be wrapped in cotton wool, and every person that volunteered for the military knows that the possibility exists they could be called to combat and could lose their life in combat.

And if ALL of the people handing out those little ..in most cases meaningless homilies.. thanking me and other veterans for our service would actually support those of us who have needed veterans assistance when our service is over, perhaps that assistance would come far easier than it has.>:(

Far too veterans have to fight tooth and nail to get even a modicum of help.... then you listen to the same assholes handing out that "thank you for your service" often fighting ANY kind of "social" programs that could help some of those veterans. The veterans administratioin in my lifetime has been pretty much a bad joke. I learned a long time ago to help myself and discount ANY possible help I might ever need from them>:(

Thousands of our current vets will need long term care.... many are coming home infirm of body and some infirm of mind..but they signed on the dotted line and they knew what they were getting into.. right???[:/][:/]

>The military does not exist to be wrapped in cotton wool . . .

Nor do they exist to be used as cannon fodder.

>and every person that volunteered for the military knows that
>the possibility exists they could be called to combat and could lose their
>life in combat.

Of course; firefighters also realize they could lose their lives in the line of duty. That's not a good reason to set buildings on fire. Indeed, we frown on such people.

but they signed on the dotted line and they knew what they were getting into.. right???

Yes...except, perhaps, for the ones that "are only in it for the college money".

Perhaps you should look at DD Form 4/1 again...specifically the first sentence of the bolded part of section 13a.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And if ALL of the people handing out those little ..in most cases meaningless homilies.. thanking me and other veterans for our service would actually support those of us who have needed veterans assistance when our service is over, perhaps that assistance would come far easier than it has.>:(

Far too veterans have to fight tooth and nail to get even a modicum of help.... then you listen to the same assholes handing out that "thank you for your service" often fighting ANY kind of "social" programs that could help some of those veterans. The veterans administratioin in my lifetime has been pretty much a bad joke. I learned a long time ago to help myself and discount ANY possible help I might ever need from them>:(

Thousands of our current vets will need long term care.... many are coming home infirm of body and some infirm of mind..but they signed on the dotted line and they knew what they were getting into.. right???[:/][:/]

Couldn't help but to think of this.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

>life in combat.

Of course; firefighters also realize they could lose their lives in the line of duty. That's not a good reason to set buildings on fire. Indeed, we frown on such people.

Nobody has used us as cannon fodder, anytime we are sent to combat the reality exists we could be killed, if people don't want to accept that they don't need to sign up.

The military is a tool to be used to enforce the decisions of our elected officials should their decisions call for military action, if you don't like the way we are being utilized write your elected representatives and pressure them to do something about it.

If we were being used for cannon fodder I highly doubt that military spending would be as high as it currently is, MRAPS arent cheap!
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

However, i've heard many other people say "thanks" and "we support you" and then turn around and say we should convict the military on war crimes, and how evil we all are...it's a fuckin war, not pink teddy bears and fluffly bunnies.

I'm grateful for our troops and appreciate their sacrifices. I support them with my taxes, my votes for pro-veteran politicians, and my donations to a local group that sends weekly care packages and arranges special homecomings for them. And I still say those troops who actually do commit war crimes should be convicted of those crimes. The fact a man is at war gives him no excuse if he rapes a 10 year old native of the land he's fighting for (just a hypothetical example).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Are monetary gifts the only way to support the troops?

You shouldn't expect cookies, or for someone to fix your car or take care of your wife.

You shouldn't expect generosity for doing your job. You should be pleasantly suprised when people do nice things for you.

"Looking a gift horse in the mouth...?"

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Yep. And I have heard other people saying "we support the troops" and then voting down veteran's assistance - or supporting sending them to their deaths for political causes. And no matter what side of the aisle you are on, sending a man to his death is the opposite of supporting him.

Please explain to me, then, the purpose of the military, and why we even need them.

Hmmm...a Clausewitzian conundrum I do believe...if you accept the hypothesis that war is an extension of politics - and I do myself, then any leader using war vice diplomacy is incapable of supporting the troops of their nation used for that political endeavor. I don't think that the case at all.

The VA should be one of many issues receiving little attention in the media these days. Since my return I've found the coverage of everything disappointing and shallow. The Economist and the BBC spoiled me whilst living abroad...

:S

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Are monetary gifts the only way to support the troops?

You shouldn't expect cookies, or for someone to fix your car or take care of your wife.

You shouldn't expect generosity for doing your job. You should be pleasantly suprised when people do nice things for you.

"Looking a gift horse in the mouth...?"

.jim

that's the thing, i dont expect for people to fix my car, give me cookies, or take care of my family. What i was saying is that the meaningless "thank you" from somebody who immediatly turns their back on the soldiers/Marines after you leave is what i hate. I dont expect free shit, but if i get it, that, to ME says that they really do support their troops. A meaningful "thank you" from someone who truely does support the troops means just as much. The point of my original post was either support us or dont, but dont be a 2 faced sob and tell me that you support me, and then go and prove that you dont.

And to everybody posting here saying what they have done to support the troops, i hope you all know we appreciate it. I wasn't starting this post to have people openly have to state how they support their troops, rather i wanted to simply vent on how some people are all talk...etc.

>life in combat.

Nobody has used us as cannon fodder, anytime we are sent to combat the reality exists we could be killed, if people don't want to accept that they don't need to sign up.

The military is a tool to be used to enforce the decisions of our elected officials should their decisions call for military action, if you don't like the way we are being utilized write your elected representatives and pressure them to do something about it.

If we were being used for cannon fodder I highly doubt that military spending would be as high as it currently is, MRAPS arent cheap!

Quoted for truth. Nice post.

I would go further and urge those that think something could be done differently to make a similar sacrifice and get involved in the political process as well.

Too much to ask? Not for many of the veterans that are tipping their toes to be involved.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Do you support your troops? Have you sent any gifts to soldiers, sailors, or Marines overseas?

I did support our troops in the Falklands war, I don't in Iraq.

When UK troops were sent to Iraq Tony B.Liar told us all to support the troops even if we didn't support the war.

But I just can't separate the people from the war like some can.

I think it's because I wouldn't be able to 'just follow orders' if I knew in my heart that the mission was wrong. And so I find I have difficulty respecting those that do.

But I just can't separate the people from the war like some can.

While I disagree with your stance, your statement is important. I too, believe that supporting the troops means supporting the mission. You are one of the few on the planet that willingly makes the same conclusion, but in opposition to the war.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

The VA should be one of many issues receiving little attention in the media these days. Since my return I've found the coverage of everything disappointing and shallow. The Economist and the BBC spoiled me whilst living abroad...

:D:D:D

Ya better be careful, with ‘talk’ like that someone might call ya the “e”-word. :P

NPR and PBS NewsHour are a couple domestic options.

Although of late NPR’s Morning Edition has shown a definite bias … for the Army. In the last 7 days, they’ve had two stories with detailed consideration of “Army Focus on Counterinsurgency Debated Within” (>8 min) and “Vietnam-Era Vet Reports for Duty” about Bronze Star winner Army SPC Tom Owens, who at 55, re-enlisted and hopes to be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan … and how much of a role model he is serving as. (>5 min).
(They’re probably just jealous cause the Navy gets their own show on PBS. ;))

Re: VA. this past weekend there was an 11 ½ min story on “Injured U.S. Troops Battle Drug-Resistant Bacteria” – the focus of the story is one a young Marine Sargant, the in-theater issues of inter-service coordination on treatment, and VA for those who are back home. (Try finding that on any commercial media)

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying