Hausse

Interesting read about Atheism

What is there to read? It can be summed up in 1 sentence: "There is no god."

If you read it, you'd know:P

It's not about atheism per se, but reactions to atheism by modern american society.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The article cites the Atheist population in the US as 14%. I'm just taking it as true because I don't feel like bothering to look into it. It gave me an interesting thought though. It would seem to me that skydiving has a very high percentage of atheists, much higher I'd estimate than 14%. i wonder why it is that (I am assuming) skydiving tends to be largely atheits. Any insights?
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Yeah that's what I actually found interesting about it. The good old there is no god thread has been repeated a bunch of times and the article seems to be more about the reactions of christians so I thought people might find it intersting.

Yeah I thought about skydivers generally being atheist and pretty much just came up with the conclusion that

First: a lot of christians (I know my host parents would be) get very easily offended and stuff that happens on the DZ tends to fall into the offensive category;)

Second: If I'd believe in a god I'd get my ass to church instead of the DZ to make sure I get into heaven so they might just have less time.

Third: Atheists are aware of the fact that they just have one short live so they will more likely try living it to the fullest while Christians count on having fun in heaven so there is no reason to do it now.

I might be completely off though.

Probably mostly right, except maybe the "atheists know they only have one life to live" part. I've met many a jumper (skydiving or BASE) that must believe in reincarnation even if they are atheistic. There must be only one reason to do half of the dumb shit I've seen us do...

We MUST get a chance to come back from the dead and do it again!!!:D:D:D

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

The article cites the Atheist population in the US as 14%. I'm just taking it as true because I don't feel like bothering to look into it. It gave me an interesting thought though. It would seem to me that skydiving has a very high percentage of atheists, much higher I'd estimate than 14%. i wonder why it is that (I am assuming) skydiving tends to be largely atheits. Any insights?

I'm not sure there's any real evidence that the % of atheism is any different among skydivers than the population as a whole.

Most people don't talk about their religion (or lack thereof) all the time in non-religious situations so you wouldn't really know one way or the other.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

OK Jakee, I read it. I was just being a smartass.

I was glad the author wrote the following sentence.

I can't say that some atheists aren't guilty of the same indiscretion, but it's a generalization to categorize all atheists this way just as it's a generalization to categorize all Christians as rabid fundamentalists.

I'm not sure there's any real evidence that the % of atheism is any different among skydivers than the population as a whole.

Most people don't talk about their religion (or lack thereof) all the time in non-religious situations so you wouldn't really know one way or the other.

That's pretty much what I was thinking too. At first I was thinking that I don't know many skydivers who are atheists, but then I realized that I don't know what the religious beliefs are of most of the skydivers that I know.

There seems to be a lot of atheists/agnostics that post in SC, but I don't think that this forum is necessarily representative of the general skydiving population.

You make a good point. It does come across as harsh or close-minded, but truly if a person has a specific religious belief or non-belief; then they would consider someone elses faith to be incorrect. If you subscribe to a specific faith just to be part of a club, then the purpose is defeated.

I disagree there. One can agree on issues that the Dems embrace at the same time agreeing on issues the Reps embrace. Political affiliation is more broad than a religious belief. In fact, people who embrace every platform of one political party scare me.

Agreed. I neither know nor care about the religious affiliation of the vast majority of my skydiving friends and acquaintances. It just doesn't come up in conversation.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?