BillyVance

A different kind of drug problem

I thought this was pretty good. I actually grew up a bit later but still with some of these "drug" problems, not all of them.

We need to return to most of these. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The problem is not drugs (or alcohol). The problem is that parents aren't teaching their children about drugs (or alcohol) and responsible drug (or alcohol) use. Instead, the government is teaching their children that any drug (or alcohol) use is irresponsible drug (or alcohol) use and will lead to addiction or death. When the children use drugs (or alcohol) and addiction or death does not occur ... everything the government taught their children about drugs (or alcohol) becomes questionable.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Picture two adults, one holding a beer, and one holding a cigarette. They are giving a teenager a lecture on drugs.

"Heroin will kill you."

Sure, about 100 people a year. Alcohol kills thousands. Car accidents, liver and other health issues. Violence.

"Cocaine is addicting."

Sure. Nicotine is 6 time mores addicting.

It is just that cigarettes are $4 for a pack of 20. If cigarettes were illegal, the price of one cig would be $10. I know 2-pack-a-day smokers who would be robbing liquor stores to support their smoking habit.

A lot of those parents, who "drug their kid" to church on Sunday, would spend Sunday afternoon downing a 12-pack. They have a drug problem too.

"Cocaine is addicting."

Sure. Nicotine is 6 time mores addicting.

But you can't OD on nicotine. How many cokeheads do 20 lines a day for 40 years? Monkeys given a button will self administer coke till quick death. The only way smokers (tobacco or pot) die early is if they set the place on fire.

And the first line has got to be more addictive than the first hacking experiment done by kids.

We could be doing better for the kids, esp regarding pot and perhaps E, but let's not make out coke to be some abused victim in the drug beauty pageant.

It really boggles my mind at how addictive nicotine is over other banned drugs but hasn't been banned or outlawed itself. :S

Aside from the historical reasons, being one of the oldest agricultural crops for the colonies, the fact that it doesn't kill people for 30 or 40 (or never 2/3rds of the time) years stands out.

(obligatory 'legalize pot' addendum)

let's not make out coke to be some abused victim in the drug beauty pageant.

Nobody is. Re-read the entire post and note that I am not drawing a line between "acceptable" and "non-acceptable".

If the goal is to keep kids from using drugs, my entire point was to to illustrate "lead by example".

That is not done by standing there with a legal drug (alcohol) and telling your kid not to smoke pot.

When parents sit around and talk about their "wilder" days when they were drinking alcohol as teenagers, what is their expectation of their childrens behavior?

Monkeys given a button will self administer coke till quick death.

"The definition of a drug is any substance that, when injected into a rat, produces a journal article." :P (I guess you could replace "rat" with "monkey" in that quote.)

Hmm, if I was locked up in a cage with nothing better to do than to administer cocaine to myself, I'd probably keep doing it until I died too.

We could be doing better for the kids, esp regarding pot and perhaps E, but let's not make out coke to be some abused victim in the drug beauty pageant.

I'm not claiming coke is safe. Virtually nothing in life is safe. But, in comparison to alcohol and tobacco, it is safer in most situations. Abusing any drug, legal or not, will increase the risk. Education works better than prohibition.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

let's not make out coke to be some abused victim in the drug beauty pageant.

Nobody is. Re-read the entire post and note that I am not drawing a line between "acceptable" and "non-acceptable".

JCD is - claims that coke is safer than alcohol or nicotine. And while I'm quite in favor of legalization to eliminate the criminal elements, I'm not buying that load for one second.

I thought this was pretty good. I actually grew up a bit later but still with some of these "drug" problems, not all of them.

The United States has had serious drug problems of all kinds starting primarily after the Civil War. Thousands and thousands of CW vets were hooked on morphine and they could order "kits" complete with syringe and drugs from Sears catalog. Millions of people were hooked on all kinds of opaites....everything from cough syrup to tablets.....who would not feel better after a speedball?????? Around 1900 or so, the feds started trying to find ways to make certain drugs illegal, and the states actually fought it! The feds got away with it by offering a federal "stamp" or kind of a license that would allow dealers to sell legally.....of course the federal government never had the intention of making these stamps!:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

The United States has had serious drug problems of all kinds starting primarily after the Civil War. Thousands and thousands of CW vets were hooked on morphine and they could order "kits" complete with syringe and drugs from Sears catalog. Millions of people were hooked on all kinds of opaites....everything from cough syrup to tablets.....who would not feel better after a speedball?????? Around 1900 or so, the feds started trying to find ways to make certain drugs illegal, and the states actually fought it! The feds got away with it by offering a federal "stamp" or kind of a license that would allow dealers to sell legally.....of course the federal government never had the intention of making these stamps!:D:D:D
But as usual the IRS doesn't care. They just want their money.>http://www.drugstamps.com/2007/10/09/what-is-a-drug-tax-stamp/ Kinda like them overlooking illegals and backs that help illegals.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

But, in comparison to alcohol and tobacco, it is safer in most situations.

Bullshit.

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/statistics/statistics_info1.shtml

Deaths per user:
Alcohol = 100,000/140,000,000 = .07 % or 70 per 100,000
Cocaine = 1,000/ 12,200,000 = .008 % or 8 per 100,000

Deaths per abuser:
Alcohol = 100,000/18,000,000 = .56 % or 56 per 10,000
Cocaine = 1,000/ 250,000 = .40 % or 40 per 10,000

So even considering abusers, with advantage to alcohol (probably
should be over 1%), cocaine is still healthier.

Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Man this thread skewed off into a different tangent than what my intention was. :D

It's all good though...

Sorry you got drug into it.

touche :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban