Douva

My Recent Radio Interview for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

Mate, how many 85 year olds do you know who can handle a pistol properly? Who have the clarity of vision? The necessary speed of reaction? The dexterity to rapidly cock the weapon or deal rapidly with a stoppage? So all pensioners should arm themselves just in case? I'll warrant most American pensioners don't.

And you'd be wrong. Google "armed citizen" and see what you come up with. I still find it telling that you want to deny the most effective means of defense against a violent criminal.

You'll be waiting a while - you'll never totally eradicate gun crime. Even you should know that.

See last sentence, above.

You know exactly what I mean!

Yes, I do know exactly what you mean - you don't care how many innocent victims get racked up, just so long as the criminals aren't doing it with guns.

Most 85 year olds I know find difficulty in drinking their tea, never mind getting into a firefight with a criminal.
More importantly - where did I ever say I wish to deny non-criminals firearms?
I might bring forth an argument that's opposite to your opinion. I might believe attempts to develop a society away from a gun culture to be the way ahead.

But I've never said what your implying I said.

Your continual unstable accusations and implications make me laugh. Thanks mate!:)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, you seem to be also implying that since you can't stop all violence there isn't really an issue to discuss? Seeing as you can't eradicate all gun crime, you should just arm all the non-criminals and be done with tackling the problem!?:S

Come on!

Ok - you're wrong.

Nobody here is advocating doing nothing about crime - merely giving the criminal's VICTIMS a chance for an effective means of defense - the MOST effective, if you look at the data for it.

Are you annoyed when others deliberately imply you meant something else to support their argument?;):D:D:D

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, you seem to be also implying that since you can't stop all violence there isn't really an issue to discuss? Seeing as you can't eradicate all gun crime, you should just arm all the non-criminals and be done with tackling the problem!?:S

I see you continue to fail to tell us how to improve campus security so these events won't happen. Yes, you're tapdancing big time.

Since you can't prevent risk without removing most freedom, you can't remove the threat. Therefore, you work on the defense.

I repeat; "Did I imply the option to arm himself wasn't there? Nice sidestep from the intended implication nonetheless. I see that a lot when gun issues are being discussed.

You might even accuse me of sidestepping the improvement of campus security issue you now have. Well, now you know!"

Are we clear now? I can repeat it again if you like.:)
Oe would you rather we danced?:D

Well, I think the point went zinging over your head mate, but I wouldn't worry - it was neither serious or particularly relevant.

p.s. your last post in reply to Kallend has been a most interesting read. Thanks.

Well, I think the point went zinging over your head mate, but I wouldn't worry - it was neither serious or particularly relevant.

The fact that one safety-oriented infringement on personal rights saves lives does not mean that all proposed safety-oriented infringements on personal rights will save lives. And aside from seatbelt laws and gun control laws both being safety-oriented infringements on personal rights, there are few correlations between the two.

p.s. your last post in reply to Kallend has been a most interesting read. Thanks.

I'm glad you liked it. The nuances and effects of the various systems of gun control throughout the world make for interesting reading.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

(And the American non-criminal gun culture / American criminal gun culture = American gun culture.)

There's your problem. You blame America's violence on the "gun culture", but then you include the law-abiding gun owners in that category. That is invalid. Law abiding gun owners are not responsible for crime. The criminals are. Thus, the problem is not one of gun culture, it's one of "criminal culture". That's the phrase you should be using, instead of blaming it on guns.

It may have been this quote:
"People continually insisting on the right to bear arms for self defence are detrimental to this problem. Instead of continually insisting on what is essentially a selfish right, why not think of your own input towards the society you live in, and what you can do to improve the situation, instead of holding it back from developing. "

Or maybe this one:
"But what I've noticed is that less and less people smoke these days. It's fast becoming socially unacceptable.

Perhaps something similiar will happen to America concerning gun ownership?"

Maybe this one?:
I'd rather people were confident enough to go about their daily lives without a firearm to help them feel secure. Confident enough to use alternative means for self defence.

Instead of wasting energy arguing over the right to carry a firearm, why not get involved in dealing with the gun culture problem to help end 'your' need to carry one?

Your continual unstable accusations and implications make me laugh. Thanks mate!:)

Maybe you should re-read your quotes from this thread, above.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I don't think it's invalid because there are enough cases of law abiding gun owners finding themselves suddenly non-law abiding. As simple as that - perhaps it's this potential that bothers people.

It may have been this quote:
"People continually insisting on the right to bear arms for self defence are detrimental to this problem. Instead of continually insisting on what is essentially a selfish right, why not think of your own input towards the society you live in, and what you can do to improve the situation, instead of holding it back from developing. "

Or maybe this one:
"But what I've noticed is that less and less people smoke these days. It's fast becoming socially unacceptable.

Perhaps something similiar will happen to America concerning gun ownership?"

Maybe this one?:
I'd rather people were confident enough to go about their daily lives without a firearm to help them feel secure. Confident enough to use alternative means for self defence.

Instead of wasting energy arguing over the right to carry a firearm, why not get involved in dealing with the gun culture problem to help end 'your' need to carry one?

Maybe you should re-read your quotes from this thread, above.

Sheesh! You can't read my writing!

I repeat; "I might bring forth an argument that's opposite to your opinion. I might believe attempts to develop a society away from a gun culture to be the way ahead."

Sure - since you have nothing else of value to contribute.

Well, naturally I'll disagree. If my contribution is identifying the need to change what's a blight on a society, what has been yours? To let the problem continue as it is?:S

Sure - since you have nothing else of value to contribute.

Well, naturally I'll disagree. If my contribution is identifying the need to change what's a blight on a society, what has been yours? To let the problem continue as it is?:S

The problem with this statement is you make it as if it is true. Now, you may believe this but other do not and , you can not make the case with any facts that it is true.
So, my question to you is, what makes you right and those who speak against your position wrong? (for clarity, I am not taking either position here)

Well?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

No, your right. It's more of a counter-opinion, in regards to other opinions, where I questioned what you're questioning me. Er, do you understand now!?:S:D

No, your right. It's more of a counter-opinion, in regards to other opinions, where I questioned what you're questioning me. Er, do you understand now!?:S:D

Fair enough. As I have learned from both ends, the tone and meaning can be hard to follow on a forum such as this
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Allowing concealed carry permits on campus therefore won't solve the problem. If you consider the possibilty it may in some cases cause similiar situations, wouldn't peoples efforts be better spent on dealing with the cultural and social issues?

Actually, they have. There was a campus full of helpless, defensless sheep who had been taught that gentle is the way to go.
If they had been taught to defend themselves at all cost, instead of running hither and yon, causing confusion, maybe only ten people would have been killed.
If every student, who could be considered a solid, sane citizen was carrying, the madman may not have even attempted it. He would have known that the odds were against him.

Desperation showing again when you have to choose Jamaica as a comparison to make the US look good.

I thought that Jamaica was full of laid back, pot smoking, Rastafarian types, maan.

Another one of your misconceptions. :P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desperation showing again when you have to choose Jamaica as a comparison to make the US look good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that Jamaica was full of laid back, pot smoking, Rastafarian types, maan.

Another one of your misconceptions.

I didn't come to that conclusion out of thin air.

Allowing concealed carry permits on campus therefore won't solve the problem. If you consider the possibilty it may in some cases cause similiar situations, wouldn't peoples efforts be better spent on dealing with the cultural and social issues?

Actually, they have. There was a campus full of helpless, defensless sheep who had been taught that gentle is the way to go.
If they had been taught to defend themselves at all cost, instead of running hither and yon, causing confusion, maybe only ten people would have been killed.
If every student, who could be considered a solid, sane citizen was carrying, the madman may not have even attempted it. He would have known that the odds were against him.

Not if he was mad like you describe. He theoretically wouldn't give a fuck.

Fair enough. As I have learned from both ends, the tone and meaning can be hard to follow on a forum such as this

Absolutely. Either way, we continue to learn, so it's all good.:)

My contribution is to continue to try to get you to give up your magic solution for improving campus security. I know that if the city PDs also can hear it, we can cut murder rates in half.

And for the record, pointing out bad solutions is more valuable to society than merely blaring out that there is a problem.

At the concealed handgun license renewal course I attended today, I discovered that there is probably going to be a 2-3 week gap between the time my old license expires and when my new license arrives.

Since I don't want to be defenseless for the better part of a month, I'm thinking of investing in some of THIS body armor. Do y'all think it would be a worthwhile investment?
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Since I don't want to be defenseless for the better part of a month

How scared are you going to be during that month? "Shit your pants" scared or just "stay indoors at all times" scared?
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."