Douva

My Recent Radio Interview for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

How did TX implement its VERY SUCCESSFUL program that appears very effective in preventing madmen and criminals from getting CCW permits? I think it was YOU that first brought it to our attention.

Why would criminals or madmen bother with a CCW permit? Talk about a self non selecting population.

Not to mention the fact that said controls are only going to work for law-abiding purchasers.... so, once again we're looking at a hurdle for Joe Average to jump through that will have little to no effect on actual criminals.

See if you can work it out...

Douva tells us that armed madmen are the problem.

warpedskydiver tells us that the majority of guns entering the criminal fraternity do so by "legal" purchases because the pre-purchase checks currently used are ineffective. Making a straw purchase is a criminal act.

You tell us that Texas has a every effective process for filtering out criminals, madmen and other unsuitable people(their CCW permit process).

Come on, you DO have the mental firepower.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As far as I can tell the CCW process does nothing significantly more then is already in place to stop criminals from buying guns. I think the reason that criminals don't go through the trouble of getting a CCW is because they can't pass the background check (that is required to purchase a gun) and probably don't want to pay the money to do what they already do illegally (that is carry a concealed weapon). Why would a criminal want to pay to do what they already do illegally with an illegally purchased gun? I don't think criminals purchase guns legally. Does anyone have the statistics on how many murders are committed by people with legally owned firearms?

Okay, let me rephrase the request: Name a few societies that have significantly reduced violent crime by implementing much stricter gun control laws.

Can you name a few societies that have reduced violent crime by implementing less stringent gun control laws?

Kennesaw, Georgia comes to mind.

Also the fact that short after Florida enacted concealed carry laws, their homicide rate started falling faster than the national average.

"In studies involving interviews of felons, one of the reasons the majority of burglars try to avoid occupied homes is the chance of getting shot. (Increasing the odds of arrest is another.) A study of Pennsylvania burglary inmates reported that many burglars refrain from late-night burglaries because it's hard to tell if anyone is home, several explaining "That's the way to get shot." (Rengert G. and Wasilchick J., Suburban Burglary: A Time and a Place for Everything, 1985, Springfield, IL: Charles Thomas.)

By comparing criminal victimization surveys from Britain and the Netherlands (countries having low levels of gun ownership) with the U.S., Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck determined that if the U.S. were to have similar rates of "hot" burglaries as these other nations, there would be more than 450,000 additional burglaries per year where the victim was threatened or assaulted. (Britain and the Netherlands have a "hot" burglary rate near 45% versus just under 13% for the U.S., and in the U.S. a victim is threatened or attacked 30% of the time during a "hot" burglary.)

Source: Gary Kleck, Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control, Walter de Gruyter, Inc., New York, 1997. "

There isn't really an argument regarding this hypothesis.

How can you be so certain allowing students to carry won't cause even worse problems?

How can you be so certain it WILL?

FACT: Those gun owners that have jumped through all the hoops and taken the classes and training to be able to carry a concealed weapon are MUCH less likely to commit a crime. As a class, CCW holders are more law-abiding than the police.

Whilst I recognise your argument and respect it, what I find worrying is your insistance of being correct and how you also come across as 'all knowing' in a matter you cannot possibly be.

How do you know his background? What is YOUR expertise in regards to gun control and concealed carry, that YOU can say that he "cannot possibly be"?

For some of us, this is the primary political 'trigger issue', and we spend a fair amount of time researching the advantages and disadvantages.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

How did TX implement its VERY SUCCESSFUL program that appears very effective in preventing madmen and criminals from getting CCW permits? I think it was YOU that first brought it to our attention.

Why would criminals or madmen bother with a CCW permit? Talk about a self non selecting population.

Clearly you missed the point entirely!

Just like you continue to confuse gunpowder with guns.

I haven't missed the point at all, Professor, and I've explained how your reasoning is faulty.

Now, please answer my question:

No more comparisons to CCW requirements, no more references to ineffective laws.

You're now the Grand High Poobah of the land - HOW, specifically, are you going to make sure that madmen and criminals don't get guns?

SPECIFIC answers, Professor - no more dodging the issue. Debate the issue honestly, for once.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

No, Professor - I'm not going to solve your problem for you.

You shot off your mouth, now support your argument.

Or, you could just admit that you don't have an answer.

You know the answer - you just don't like it. Stop playing your silly little game.

You know the answer - you just don't like it. Stop playing your silly little game.

YOU are the only one playing a game here, Professor - I don't agree with the amount of hoops I have to jump through to purchase or carry a weapon NOW.

You are the one saying the current checks are ineffective - HOW are you going to make them more effective?

Put up or shut up.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

YOU are the only one playing a game here, Professor - I don't agree with the amount of hoops I have to jump through to purchase or carry a weapon NOW.

You are the one saying the current checks are ineffective - HOW are you going to make them more effective?

Put up or shut up.

You, MNEALTX, told us on this forum quite recently how good Texas's process was for for filtering out criminals, madmen and other unsuitable people who want CCW permits. So use it for pre-purchase too.

Jeez, do we have to explain everything to you a dozen times?

Put up or shut up.

You, MNEALTX, told us on this forum quite recently how good Texas's process was for for filtering out criminals, madmen and other unsuitable people who want CCW permits. So use it for pre-purchase too.

John... did you, perhaps, MISS where I said that Texas does the same checks for a CCW that happens on a FEDERAL level for purchase? If you're going to try to use THAT argument, then evidently the current laws and checks are just fine and no adjustment is needed.

Since that's not what you're advocating....try again. That boat is already shot out of the water.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Put up or shut up.

John... did you, perhaps, MISS where I said that Texas does the same checks for a CCW that happens on a FEDERAL level for purchase? If you're going to try to use THAT argument, then evidently the current laws and checks are just fine and no adjustment is needed.

Since that's not what you're advocating....try again. That boat is already shot out of the water.

Well, maybe you misled us before. I understood that the concealed handgun law sets out eligibility criteria that must be met over and above fedaral requirements. These factors may make you ineligible to obtain a permit: felony convictions and some misdemeanor, including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication, pending criminal charges, chemical or alcohol dependency, certain types of psychological diagnoses, protective or restraining orders, or defaults on taxes, governmental fees, student loans or child support.

I also understood that you have to take a training course.

And since warpedskydiver likes to compare guns with planes, we could also apply the same criteria as plane owners and pilots have to go through: regular examinations (written, oral and practical), licenses, registration, annual inspections...

You ARE right - I did forget some stuff. I apologize for the confusion.

For a CCW, Texas requires fingerprints be provided and does another local and Federal check for criminal activity. They also require formal training.

You have now opened the door for those same requirements to exercise ANY right...and you accuse BUSH of trampling the BOR???

Talk about hypocritical!!!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

For a CCW, Texas requires fingerprints be provided and does another local and Federal check for criminal activity. They also require formal training.

Riigghht!:D

So it CAN be done. Just a little inconvenience for the whiners to complain about. Provided you aren't a criminal or a loonie they can't deny you, so the BOR is no more violated than it is with the current ineffective checks.

Proven by data that YOU posted.:)
The only people denied will be criminals and loonies.

What a disapointment. I was hoping to see a interesting debate on this subject to which I have an open mind. Instead I see its turned into the usual pissing contest. I did listen to the entire interview, (I thought it was pretty bloody rude the way they just played adverts over you speaking without even mentioning they were going to a break, (or maybe they are just that unprofesional). I didn't hear you answer the question that I asked and I've got better things to do than listen through it again to hear a sound bite answer or waste time searching through one of your web sites. I'm not going to bother with this thread again its a waste of time.
.....Door closes.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with anybody. You asked, "who would get to say who could or couldn't carry?" Both the radio interview and website clearly state that our objective is to see individuals with state issued concealed handgun licenses granted the right to carry concealed handguns on campus. What is unclear about that?

I'm sorry if my response came across as curt, but I have a hard time seeing how you could not understand who would be allowed to carry, if you listened to the interview and checked out the website.

PS. That commercial that played while I was talking was a technical glitch.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Riigghht!:D

So it CAN be done. Just a little inconvenience for the whiners to complain about. Provided you aren't a criminal or a loonie they can't deny you, so the BOR is no more violated than it is with the current ineffective checks.

Proven by data that YOU posted.:)

So you ALSO support those same requirements to exercise any other rights - I'll make sure to remind you of that.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

One thing in common about all the locations.... disarmed victims.

Who cherry-picked the locations?

Armed madmen with no regard for the rules.

Right - arming madmen is a serious mistake. Unfortunately our society makes it easy for madmen to get firearms. That needs to be fixed.

If that's true, name a few societies that have significantly reduced violent crime by disarming everybody.

Who suggested disarming everybody? Nice strawman if it weren't so bloody obvious.

I suggested making it harder, much harder, for madmen to get guns.

Okay, let me rephrase the request: Name a few societies that have significantly reduced violent crime by implementing much stricter gun control laws.

Can you name a few societies that have reduced violent crime by implementing less stringent gun control laws?

Can you name any societies that have implemented less stringent gun control laws? I can't.

But I can name a number of societies that have implemented more stringent gun control laws, and none of them have seen a significant decrease in violent crime; therefore, Kallend's argument that we need stricter gun control laws to curb violent crime is baseless.

There isn't really an argument regarding this hypothesis.

Actually, there is a great argument, based on numerous examples, supporting my assertion that gun control doesn't reduce crime. And the success of concealed carry in America, over the past two decades, shows that loosening restrictions doesn't make things any worse.

How can you be so certain allowing students to carry won't cause even worse problems?

Because studies by numerous independent researchers and state agencies have found that concealed handgun license holders are five times less likely than non-license holders to commit violent crimes; because no other type of location—from office buildings to churches to movie theaters to shopping malls—has seen an increased rate of violent crime since concealed carry became legal there; because the eleven universities that currently allow concealed carry on campus (and have done so for a combined total of over sixty semesters) have not seen any resulting incidents of gun violence, gun accidents, or gun thefts; and because of all the other reasons listed HERE, I'm pretty certain.

Whilst I recognise your argument and respect it, what I find worrying is your insistance of being correct and how you also come across as 'all knowing' in a matter you cannot possibly be.

My "insistance [sic] on being correct" and how I "come across as 'all knowing?'"

It's called being an authority on a subject. It comes from lots and lots of research. You should try it sometime.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

These threads seem to degrade faster than they used to. It seems like there was a time when we'd get at least a couple of days of intelligent discussion out of a gun thread before people started resorting to name calling. [:/]

So you ALSO support those same requirements to exercise any other rights - I'll make sure to remind you of that.

Do you believe that criminals and madmen have a right to bear arms? Yes or no?

Do you believe that criminals and madmen have a right to bear arms? Yes or no?

I think that violent criminals shouldn't have the right to bear arms, because they have done something to cost themselves that right. I also think that the insane shouldn't bear arms, provided the appropriate protocol has been followed to judge them incompetent to do so, just like when someone is involuntarily committed. We already have a system in place to prevent violent criminals from purchasing guns legally. I'm not sure about the mental health part. What we don't have is a system to prevent criminals from purchasing guns illegally.

What I'd like to see is a greatly increased penalty for committing a crime with a gun. Commit a crime (armed robbery, for example), get ten more years added on to the sentence if your weapon was a gun rather than a knife. Most of the violent criminals have a rap sheet a mile long, from what I saw working in criminal court. Sentences need to be longer for violent criminals, and nonexistent for potheads so we can make room.

'Can you name any societies that have implemented less stringent gun control laws? I can't.'

My exact point. I didn't quite expect you to reiterate it, as apparantly you've done 'lots and lots of research' and seem to be an 'authority'. (Although despite this research and the fact you're an authority Mealtx seems to have come up with some interesting areas...)

Again, like I mentioned earlier, I respect the efforts you've made - there's no need to get sarcastic if in some areas I remain unconvinced. Otherwise you get sarcasm back. So stop whining about the name calling.

Whilst you have a belief that you feel is also supported by research and statistics, it still remains theoretical.

I generally involved myself in this discussion because I found myself surprised at how convinced you are of being correct, in regards to a theory.

Scary!

I don't need to conduct research to recognise this.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Thanks for the Kennesaw and Florida examples.

Now, you're mistaken to feel I've an opposite belief to you on this subject. That's a bit of an assumption I reckon, made to help fuel your argument.

What I've been trying to point out is that the argument is unfounded as it's being generally based on theory. You asked me; 'How can you be so certain it WILL?'

I'm not certain at all, and that's my point. How can you be so certain of theoretical issues? Through facts and figures? It may well strongly support your theory but it's still a theory. So in that context I think it helps to remain objective.

Then we might not see so many similiar arguments degenerating into slagging matches!:)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

'Can you name any societies that have implemented less stringent gun control laws? I can't.'

My exact point. I didn't quite expect you to reiterate it, as apparantly you've done 'lots and lots of research' and seem to be an 'authority'. (Although despite this research and the fact you're an authority Mealtx seems to have come up with some interesting areas...)

For the purposes of this discussion, I'm not considering Florida to be an independent society. Yes, numerous states have seen declines in crime after implementing concealed carry; however, whether those declines were a result of concealed carry or merely part of a larger trend remains to be shown. What has been clearly shown, however, is that concealed carry certainly doesn't make crime any worse in the places where it is allowed.

The preceding points are covered in the interview I linked to in the first post in this thread.

Technically, they didn't loosen gun controls in Kennesaw, Georgia; they simply ordered everyone to abide by the current controls and obtain a gun. And again, it's hard to say for sure that the decrease in crime was a direct result of ordering every household to keep a gun.

Again, like I mentioned earlier, I respect the efforts you've made - there's no need to get sarcastic if in some areas I remain unconvinced. Otherwise you get sarcasm back. So stop whining about the name calling.

Whilst you have a belief that you feel is also supported by research and statistics, it still remains theoretical.

I generally involved myself in this discussion because I found myself surprised at how convinced you are of being correct, in regards to a theory.

Scary!

I don't need to conduct research to recognise this.

Technically, gravity is still a theory too. There are still differing views on why exactly skydivers go down when they jump out of a plane, but that doesn't mean there is credible evidence suggesting they actually go up. (And so help me, the first smartass who says, "What about wingsuit jumpers?" is getting a skysurfing board in the ass.)

Though it's theoretical that allowing concealed carry on college campuses might actually save a life or stop a mass shooting, there is no credible evidence that it would have the opposite effect, so why not allow it? That's been the crux of my argument all along.

'Though it's theoretical that allowing concealed carry on college campuses might actually save a life or stop a mass shooting, there is no credible evidence that it would have the opposite effect, so why not allow it? That's been the crux of my argument all along.'

I think a lot of the resistance towards such a move stems from the fact that it won't necessary solve the problem.

The root of the problem lies around cultural and social issues.

Allowing concealed carry permits on campus therefore won't solve the problem. If you consider the possibilty it may in some cases cause similiar situations, wouldn't peoples efforts be better spent on dealing with the cultural and social issues?

It is a horrendous situation becoming far too common, and whilst I recognise armed students could have possibly dealt with the/a gunman, could there then be more actual shootings, from more people carrying weapons? Despite what research is done into this question, it will always remain a possibility that people will be painfully aware of, and more importantly, it won't deal with the real source of issue.