billbooth

Overpopulation?

Fun With Statistics

Everyone says the world is over populated.
Yet, according to figures from Wikipedia:

The population of Paris, France is 2,153,600.
The area of Paris is 33.56 square miles.
Therefore, the population density in Paris is 64,171 people per square mile.
Most people would agree that Paris is a nice place to live.

There are 6,600,000,000 people on the entire earth.
The area of Texas is 261,797 square miles.
Therefore, if everybody in the world lived in Texas, the population density would be 25,210 people per square mile, or less than half of the population density of Paris, and the rest of the world could be a park.

Of course, this totally ignores land for food production, but what the hell, I'm just having fun anyway.

>Therefore, if everybody in the world lived in Texas, the population
>density would be 25,210 people per square mile, or less than half of the
>population density of Paris, and the rest of the world could be a park.

Well, you might need a farm or two. And a small area (say, Kansas) as a landfill.

Fun With Statistics

Last time I was in Paris there was a garbage collectors' strike on and it wasn't nice AT ALL! Besides, it's full of Parisiens.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

John,
I have to PM Warpedskydiver about your post.
At last, something the two of you will agree on.:D:D:D

“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

a small area (say, Kansas) as a landfill.***

You mean it isn't already a landfill? :P

Roy

PS: a joke....just a joke, Kansas isnt the end of the earth..... but ya can sure as hell see it from there!!!!! :ph34r::P

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

No...that would be New Jersey...and that's no joke.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

No...that would be New Jersey...and that's no joke.
:D:D

Yep. No doubt about that. No matter where you are, it smells like one too! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Fun With Statistics

There are 6,600,000,000 people on the entire earth.
The area of Texas is 261,797 square miles.
Therefore, if everybody in the world lived in Texas, the population density would be 25,210 people per square mile, or less than half of the population density of Paris, and the rest of the world could be a park.

Of course, this totally ignores land for food production, but what the hell, I'm just having fun anyway.

You could physically fit several times the 6.5 B people we have now, but the term is, "carrying capacity." CC is tehnumber of organisms an environment can sustain. IOW's, like Bill wrote, you would need landfills a few fields to grow things, etc..... Furthermore, when we were kids did they have smog issues other than LA, Chicago, etc? Now every city seems to have the perma-haze. I've read scientists put out CC at 9.5B, at which point we would have a hard time feeding them. Especially with energy being an issue, what if we had a hiccup, we could have major rioting which would, "adjust" the population to < the CC.

We humans think we can add a little Jesus and fix everything, when other Nature rules.

War!

War used to be good for population control but now, with all the precision tools and the reduction in collateral damage, war has become useless.
:D:D;)

We need another old-timey war!

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And a small area (say, Kansas) as a landfill.

What do ya think we're using California for already, just look at how trashy it is and makes a good burn pile too.:P

If a good chunk of California splits away from the mainland in a catastrophic quake, sort of like as depicted by Lex Luthor in the first "Superman" movie, I propose the giant island be a landfill. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Overpopulation isnt focused on the land per person idea, but rather the lack of food for people and the health of the earth.

For example, it is shown that the more people there are present, the more food is neccessary. Therefore, farmers have to use industrial techniques (such as engine driven farming equipment and the spraying of pesticides) to keep up with demand. With an increased demand for food, and an increase in unorthodox farming techniques, the well-being of the earth is at stake.

**this is just one aspect of overpopulation

Well, you might need a farm or two. And a small area (say, Kansas) as a landfill.

I've heard the "everyone can fit into Texas" argument before. I contend we should have to stay confined to that area. Of course, we would have to live in our own garbage, but at least it would be contained. In Indonesia, I saw entire families that lived in piles of garbage, so I know it can be done. They built garbage shanties out of the refuge of people from the "wealthier" cities.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Overpopulation isnt focused on the land per person idea, but rather the lack of food for people and the health of the earth.

For example, it is shown that the more people there are present, the more food is neccessary. Therefore, farmers have to use industrial techniques (such as engine driven farming equipment and the spraying of pesticides) to keep up with demand. With an increased demand for food, and an increase in unorthodox farming techniques, the well-being of the earth is at stake.

**this is just one aspect of overpopulation

So true... which is why we have plagues, natural disasters, tsunamis, etc, to help us out... ;) I know that was so wrong...:P

War!

War used to be good for population control but now, with all the precision tools and the reduction in collateral damage, war has become useless.
:D:D;)

We need another old-timey war!

If you ask nicely the Germans might start another one :ph34r:

Edit: Come to think of it... The Americans seem to have taken over that role recently :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: