billvon

Good news re: gas prices and oil dependence

As the US is currently the fattest nation in the world, I see no signs of having to "give up our food!"

What!! Even fatter than the Germans :o:o:o:)

But wait until the skydivers are willing to pay $20 for a gallon for rape seed Jet 1A. Then it will be just Fuck and Skydive. The eating will take second place. ;)
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

On another note you post here like the oil here is very limited. It is estimated that the reserves under US control are larger than those in the middle east. I think the war analogy is a bit off

Our reserves might be, but you have to look at the whole picture. Sometimes it's too costly to tap into those reserves with the current technology.

On another note you post here like the oil here is very limited. It is estimated that the reserves under US control are larger than those in the middle east. I think the war analogy is a bit off

Our reserves might be, but you have to look at the whole picture. Sometimes it's too costly to tap into those reserves with the current technology.

True, but like everything else, if the reserves were opned up, someone would build the tech to get it
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

if the reserves were opned up, someone would build the tech to get it

Not until it's profitable. And Americans would be whining about expensive gas.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If I am a denier you sir are a eco eletist. Your way or the highway.. The arogance of those following your position is sickening

I am all for cleaner air. Houston used to be nasty, until similar legislations came to be. We are no longer the most pollutes city in the States. I like breathing clean air. It's always nice. Dont you think so...clean air...no?
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

>On another note you post here like the oil here is very limited. It
>is estimated that the reserves under US control are larger than those in
>the middle east.

Rank, Country, Proved reserves (billion barrels)

1. Saudi Arabia 264.3
2. Canada 178.8
3. Iran 132.5
4. Iraq 115.0
5. Kuwait 101.5
6. United Arab Emirates 97.8
7. Venezuela 79.7
8. Russia 60.0
9. Libya 39.1
10. Nigeria 35.9
11. United States 21.4

>the middle east.

1. Saudi Arabia 264.3
2. Canada 178.8
3. Iran 132.5
4. Iraq 115.0
5. Kuwait 101.5
7. Venezuela 79.7
8. Russia 60.0
9. Libya 39.1
10. Nigeria 35.9
11. United States 21.4

This can't be Bill... That would mean Rush made another false statement.
Remster

If I am a denier you sir are a eco eletist. Your way or the highway.. The arogance of those following your position is sickening

I am all for cleaner air. Houston used to be nasty, until similar legislations came to be. We are no longer the most pollutes city in the States. I like breathing clean air. It's always nice. Dont you think so...clean air...no?

Here comes the typical if you dont follow me you want the air poluted and dirty water. I have kids too. Do really believe that is what I want? no?:S
Abraham Lincoln

>the middle east.

1. Saudi Arabia 264.3
2. Canada 178.8
3. Iran 132.5
4. Iraq 115.0
5. Kuwait 101.5
7. Venezuela 79.7
8. Russia 60.0
9. Libya 39.1
10. Nigeria 35.9
11. United States 21.4

This can't be Bill... That would mean Rush made another false statement.

No[:/] I only stated something as I understood it and, if I can find it, I will post[:/]

Tell me though, billvon just posted numbers, you assume them to be correct. Why?

dont answer, I already understand the template.....
Abraham Lincoln

Here comes the typical if you dont follow me you want the air poluted and dirty water. I have kids too. Do really believe that is what I want? no?:S

There is nothing elitist about wanting cleaner air, more efficient cars, less reliance on oil, less poulltion, etc.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

dont answer, I already understand the template.....

Because I did some research, and some of my customers are some of North America largest producers of crude (edit: so while no expert on the oil market, I know enough of it to know how to find info on it)
Remster

>Because I did some research, and some of my customers are some
>of North America largest producers of crude.

What do you know? Next thing you know you'll be telling us about mine safety, and you probably won't even check www.Newsmax.com before posting! How can you possibly be informed about such things without reading it on the internet?

Next thing you know Sandy Reid will be trying to tell us about rig design. Poser.

There is nothing elitist about wanting cleaner air, more efficient cars, less reliance on oil, less poulltion, etc.

Never said it was
Abraham Lincoln

Uhhh.. the last time I flew into Houston I went thru some of the NASTIEST... funky looking colors of AIR...I had ever seen.>:(>:(>:(

I like being where I am... the AIT coming off the Pacific Ocean is pretty gawd dayum clean.... and I like to take it on FAITH.. that the air I am breathing really does exist... since I sure as hell cant see it:P

>Because I did some research, and some of my customers are some
>of North America largest producers of crude.

What do you know? Next thing you know you'll be telling us about mine safety, and you probably won't even check www.Newsmax.com before posting! How can you possibly be informed about such things without reading it on the internet?

Next thing you know Sandy Reid will be trying to tell us about rig design. Poser.

This is why I have given up on debating AGW and the likes on the internet. I have even gone to the lengthts of not debating (discussing) things I do know something about on the net.
What you are basically saying is that what you read on the net is not peer reviewed not published by people with knowledge and as such should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Therefore, after what I have read on the net, I will start to teach the 45 degree rule for exit seperation. After all, what I have read on the net can only be produced from money grabbing dropzones.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

>What you are basically saying is that what you read on the net is not
>peer reviewed not published by people with knowledge and as such should
>be taken with a pinch of salt.

Right. Doesn't mean it's wrong, just means it's not guaranteed to be right. There are no guarantees about anything, but odds are that an article in Nature is going to be more accurate than an article on a 9/11 conspiracy website or an opinion piece on the CNN blog.

>Therefore, after what I have read on the net, I will start to teach the 45
>degree rule for exit seperation.

You do that! Let us know how it goes.

odds are that an article in Nature is going to be more accurate than an article on a 9/11 conspiracy website or an opinion piece on the CNN blog

This does not mean an article in Nature is guaranteed to be right, as you have already said.

So we are back to my gang is better than your gang.

But take it with a pinch of salt (as I am sure you will do), after all this is only the net.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

So we are back to my gang is better than your gang.

The biggest difference between a journal like Nature and popular sources is primary data and analysis versus secondary, tertiary, quinary (:)
VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

>So we are back to my gang is better than your gang.

Correct. In general, getting your information from a peer-reviewed journal ("my gang") is going to get you better results than believing in a 9/11 conspiracy website.

Which is why peer review, and not conspiracy theory, is the basic vetting process for scientific research.

In general, getting your information from a peer-reviewed journal ("my gang") is going to get you better results than believing in a 9/11 conspiracy website.

You are correct there :)But only an idiot would think about going to a 9/11 conspiracy website to get information about Global warming. :D:D:D

I would also like to point out that getting your information from BBC news (my gang) is going to get you better results than believing in the hysteria on a greenpeace / WWF website.

The science is settled, only how to hype the results is being argued about now.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

>I would also like to point out that getting your information from BBC
>news (my gang) is going to get you better results . . .

I agree there. When it comes to accuracy, the popular media isn't a great source, but BBC news is one of the better popular sources out there.

>The science is settled, only how to hype the results is being argued about now.

In many ways that's true. We have a pretty good handle on what's happening now; now the politicians are figuring out what to do with the results. Their approaches range from:

-do absolutely nothing; business as usual
-drop everything so we can panic

Fortunately most people (and politicians) are taking a middle ground. This efficiency bill is a good example of that.

We have a pretty good handle on what's happening now;

No, I don't think so. We have a vague idea of what is happening and we keep getting new surprises as time goes on.

I was only talking about the science, not the hype. You know, like things that can be measured. We can measure how much more radiation will be absorbed due a doubling of CO2 to 460 ppm. What we are still pretty crap at is deciding what that actually means in terms of climate. The only way the hype gets the disaster senario is with a myraid of feedbacks.
The hype is costing people vast amounts of money that would be better used to find a clean and plentiful energy source to replace fossil fuels.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

>No, I don't think so. We have a vague idea of what is happening . . .

In 1980, when we were first looking at climate change in a serious way, that definition would have worked. Now? We have way more than a vague idea - unless you want to redefine "vague."

>The hype is costing people vast amounts of money that would be
>better used to find a clean and plentiful energy source to replace fossil
>fuels.

In many cases the "hype" as you call it is CAUSING people to find clean and plentiful energy sources to replace fossil fuel. Look at BP.