ryoder

Judge won't be charged over gun she took to airport

I'm sure she didn't get special treatment.

They made a decision using common sense because they realize she had to criminal intent.

Gosh, if they could just do that with all the other honest people that make dumb mistakes at airports...

Is this the same MI in where I used to live in which ONLY a cop or a judge could get a CCW?

And the same MI where a Kmart was threatened with criminal charges for selling a "firearm" to a minor? The firearm was a BB gun! According to the state, all BB guns are "firearms".

And the icing on the cake: When I was an IN resident, I had a CCW, and could legally carry in MI due to reciprocity agreements. Once I became a MI resident, there was no way in hell I could carry.

Common sense was never a part of the law when I lived there in the early 90's.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007711270342

I'm sure she didn't get special treatment.

Fucking Law system doing nothing but watching out for each other and washing each others hands......had that been me or anyone else.....your are fucked! >:(>:(>:(>:(>:( She carelessly broke the law and got away with it! And what a lame ass excuse to boot!

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Fucking Law system doing nothing but watching out for each other and washing each others hands......had that been me or anyone else.....your are fucked! MadMadMadMadMad She carelessly broke the law and got away with it! And what a lame ass excuse to boot!

I'm glad she didn't get charged, but I agree that the reasons for not charging her might be fucked up.

So the woman must have checked her brain and brought her gun. Oups. If there is enough evidence to show that she had no intent, and probably didn't even know she had it, then I support letting her go scoot free.

OTOH, if you let her off because it's the law scratching the law's back, then that is straight up wrong.
=========Shaun ==========

Is this the same MI in where I used to live in which ONLY a cop or a judge could get a CCW?

No, the new MI allows anybody a permit if you qualify (no felonies or violent misdemeanors)

I see ur point though...about MI

EDIT

I'm sure the criminals would love to just get away by saying "oops, I didn't know"

oops, I didn't know that crack was there...
oops, I didn't know that was stolen....
oops, I didn't know she was 15 years old....
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

As stated above, MI is now shall issue. I was one of the first 32 issued in my county under the new law. Take a NRA course with MI law added. Submit finger prints and application. Maybe talk to county gun board but most counties they just call you when it's ready.

I wonder if it's a misdemenor to carry it to the checkpoint? AFAIK it's not illegal to carry in the unsecured area of an airport.

But, with a CCW she better damn well know where the gun is. And she'd better have "knowingly" carried it to the checkpoint. She may have forgot, but not an excuse for anybody else.

Only pistol air guns with rifled barrels are firearms and subject to all of the state handgun laws. I have one that I had to register.

And when you were here she couldn't have been carrying a loaned handgun. But the CCW changed the definition of "transfer". Used to be if you borrowed a handgun you had to register it in your name. Loaning is no longer a transfer.

Of course we don't have registration in this state, only safety inspections.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I wonder if it's a misdemenor to carry it to the checkpoint? AFAIK it's not illegal to carry in the unsecured area of an airport.

Not illegal as long as you don't go past the security checkpoint. It's legal to travel with a gun in the baggage hold, and you have to take it to the check-in counter, open the case, and show that it is unloaded. All perfectly routine.

Not illegal as long as you don't go past the security checkpoint. It's legal to travel with a gun in the baggage hold, and you have to take it to the check-in counter, open the case, and show that it is unloaded. All perfectly routine.

In this case her gun was loaded --- "ANN ARBOR -- Charges will not be filed against a district court judge who was accused of taking a loaded gun to a Detroit Metropolitan Airport checkpoint this summer. "
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Fucking Law system doing nothing but watching out for each other and washing each others hands......had that been me or anyone else.....your are fucked! MadMadMadMadMad She carelessly broke the law and got away with it! And what a lame ass excuse to boot!

I'm glad she didn't get charged, but I agree that the reasons for not charging her might be fucked up.

So the woman must have checked her brain and brought her gun. Oups. If there is enough evidence to show that she had no intent, and probably didn't even know she had it, then I support letting her go scoot free.

OTOH, if you let her off because it's the law scratching the law's back, then that is straight up wrong.

If you had a permit to carry and you carried your weapon where she carried hers, and you got busted with it, do you really think the prosecutor would not charge you????????????

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"