moodyskydiver

getting ready to go hunting for the first time

Just bought my :D first hunting license and I'm getting out my camo stuff.I'm going hunting tomorrow.woohoo! My first hunt!:DB|

just had to share and get that outta my system now so I'll be quiet tomorrow in the woods.:ph34r::$

Well, good luck to ya'! Bag a big 'un!

Chuck

You do realize that it is tradition to drink the blood of your first deer? Now, you wouldn't want to go against tradition? DRINK UP!!!!!!
I actually know someone who did it. Freaking gross:P

"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

You do realize that it is tradition to drink the blood of your first deer? Now, you wouldn't want to go against tradition? DRINK UP!!!!!!
I actually know someone who did it. Freaking gross:P

The funny thing about that is once A friend from work and I had taken a person new to the shift how had never been hunting in his life out pig hunting, he got himself a nice 250 + pounder. We had told him about the same tradidtion and let him fill a cup all the way up before we remind him of all the things that flot around in blood, plus this being pigs blood. When he realized it was a joke he almost got pissed then joined in on the gag...Telling every one at work that he did drink the blood.
Remember that expectant life span is an average, and most people are below average
--Garrison Keillor

No blood for me thanks.I'll just have to "break" that tradition.:P I will however transfer the beer skydiving tradition and buy a case of beer for my firsts instead...to be consumed after the hunt ofcourse.:P

Dammit its after 1AM here and we're leaving at 6AM and I cant sleep for shit,even with my sleeping mediation,b/c I'm so exceited.I'm like a little kid on xmas eve.:S

Be very very patient...move very very slowly..... move less than the deer do... and keep your eyes open.. spend more time looking thru the binoculars.. than moving and you will do fine.....

ugh..thats going to kill me.I'm NOT a patient person by nature and get bored very easily.Plus I'm NOT a "morning person" and usually would be going to bed about the time we're leaving in the morning/a few hrs from now.Dammit I'm just plain nocturnal.I've already asked my hubby if we could just hurry up and go now but he said no since we're hunting in the national Forest and game wardens tend to frown on spotlighting...lol.:D

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

What are you hunting? If your in a stand and it does not have hard sides make sure your tied in and don't fall asleep. You can move a little but just try to enjoy the peace and quiet. I couldnt sit still for more than 5min then I started hunting and it became no big deal to sit in one place and be perfectly still for 5 hours (with no entertainment)
Lots of people like to take ipods with them, give it a try, just make sure it is not turned up too loud

and if all else fails put a pair of headlights and a horn on the bullet and the deer will actually jump in front of it.
“Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his shit into a truck.”

What are you hunting? If your in a stand and it does not have hard sides make sure your tied in and don't fall asleep. You can move a little but just try to enjoy the peace and quiet. I couldnt sit still for more than 5min then I started hunting and it became no big deal to sit in one place and be perfectly still for 5 hours (with no entertainment)
Lots of people like to take ipods with them, give it a try, just make sure it is not turned up too loud

technically I'm hunting squirrel and my hubby is hunting deer since we're bringing the 12guage too(incase of pigs and such...or maybe a stray deer).We have a temp. blind too so thats cool. I'm basically going squirrel hunting to get used to the whole "be quite,still and patient" thing.We should be going deer hunting for real next weekend.I havent decided yet on taking the ipod or not.

and if all else fails put a pair of headlights and a horn on the bullet and the deer will actually jump in front of it.

someone has been watching too much Ron White.:P

dammit stop posting to this thread so I'll be forced to go to sleep!!!:D:P

Just bought my :D first hunting license and I'm getting out my camo stuff.I'm going hunting tomorrow.woohoo! My first hunt!:DB|

just had to share and get that outta my system now so I'll be quiet tomorrow in the woods.:ph34r::$

Enjoy. And learn how to gut in the freezing cold. The blood will help ya stay warm til it freezes. And share the kill w/ friends. What ya hunting for? Good luck either way. Don't shoot yourself in the foot or anyone one else for that matter.;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Enjoy. And learn how to gut in the freezing cold. The blood will help ya stay warm til it freezes. And share the kill w/ friends. What ya hunting for? Good luck either way. Don't shoot yourself in the foot or anyone one else for that matter.

Yeah I'm wondering how I'm going to handle the dirty work.We arent trophy hunters.(although I wouldnt mind a nice pointed buck on the wall for my first kill)We use as much of the kill as possible.We're hunting deer and squirrel today but if we come across any wild hog theyre going in our freezer too!;)

Its 5AM.I give up on trying to go back to sleep.I had a hard power nap though from 2-5AM. I just need some coffee now to kick start my butt into gear.If I'm too sleepy to hunt later on then I'll just sit in the stand with the hubby.I'm not going to risk my alertness just b/c its my first trip out.

Just be absolutely sure of your target before pulling the trigger. It looked kinda like a deer, or seemed like a deer, or moved like a deer is not good enough. Make sure it is clearly recognizeable as a deer and nothing else.

It amazes me that every year there are several people in just MN & WI alone killed by fellow hunters who were too quick to the trigger because "I thought it was a deer."

I'll bet every one of them, like most hunters who have yet to shoot someone by accident, thought it was a mistake they couldn't possibly make.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

to get used to the whole "be quite,still and patient" thing.

No need to be still and quiet. Get a bunch of people and do a 'drive'. Then you can move around and be as loud as you want.

By the way, you may want to weat some flourescent orange instead of that camo on the first day of buck season.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

to get used to the whole "be quite,still and patient" thing.

No need to be still and quiet. Get a bunch of people and do a 'drive'. Then you can move around and be as loud as you want.

By the way, you may want to weat some flourescent orange instead of that camo on the first day of buck season.

I've spent a few afternoons on my porch watching a large group of hunters drive the deer out of the woods. It's kind of funny, and my guess is they are doing it all wrong. They show up in a caravan of pick-ups and park them all in the ditch. Even though there is a place for them to pull off, they use the ditches. I think people that drive trucks around here just get a manly feeling when they park in the ditch. Must be the "We don't need no stinking parking lot" crowd.

So they leave a few guys on one end of the woods, pile back in their trucks and go to the other end. I'm guessing they are driving the deer when I see them all come out of the side where nobody is waiting and prance off towards the river. I says to my wife "Those guys shure are good at driving deer; right across our property and down to the river - without even firing a shot. They must be experts."
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Just be absolutely sure of your target before pulling the trigger. It looked kinda like a deer, or seemed like a deer, or moved like a deer is not good enough. Make sure it is clearly recognizeable as a deer and nothing else.

It amazes me that every year there are several people in just MN & WI alone killed by fellow hunters who were too quick to the trigger because "I thought it was a deer."

I'll bet every one of them, like most hunters who have yet to shoot someone by accident, thought it was a mistake they couldn't possibly make.

Yes, I'm very careful where I shoot and what might be beyond my target that could be injured.I dont know about the rest of the states,but TX requires a hunter safety education course to anyone born after sept 1971.So this topic was throughly covered for bow and rifle hunting.

and zipp0,yes I wear blaze orange along with my camo.TX requires that hunters wear atleast a blaze orange hat.Other states require a vest too but TX doesnt yet although we(my husband and I) do wear vests too even though they arent required.

As for hearding the deer,well we're hunting in the national forest and thats a huge area to cover,so I'd rather sit and wait than chase them.

We came back early this morning b/c my hubby twisted his knee wrong and we felt it better to go ahead and call it a day.