Nuke weapons test video compilation

Some shots are pictures from Rapatronic (nanosecond range exposure times) cameras and show the "Rope Trick" effect (spikes shooting downward from fireball caused by visible light radiation heating and vaporization of guy wires supporting shot towers). Enjoy.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d78_1176596199

Edit: Rope Trick pics attached

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Really strange. At the right of tha attached Rapatronic pic you can see the 300 foot shot tower (black vertical line). Supposedly, the little "pimple" just below the far right point of the image is the "Shot Cab" that held the device on the tower. Another pic shows the fireball several seconds after initiation. Another shows a similar device in the shot cab.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Thermonuclear devices: When you care enough to send the very best...

ok, peaceniks and revisionists, fire away. I find your rants amusing in an asshat sorta way.
Ostriches and rheas are the only birds that urinate and defecate separately. They read Parachutist while doing #2.

Great compilation. There was a video released several years ago called "The Atomic Bomb Movie". It was narrated by William Shatner and the footage was restored. It was quite good, several of those in the video you linked shared details about some of those task forces and tests.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I had to think about it for a Minuit for got it had that name as we I've known it as Trinity and Beyond, Quite spectacular movie and when you see some of the original compared to the film that had been cleaned and restored what a difference the quality of it.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

I had to think about it for a Minuit for got it had that name as we I've known it as Trinity and Beyond, Quite spectacular movie and when you see some of the original compared to the film that had been cleaned and restored what a difference the quality of it.

There's also this one
Ostriches and rheas are the only birds that urinate and defecate separately. They read Parachutist while doing #2.

There's also this one

Does any one have a link to the report on the Nevada test shot done in which water and beer (yes, literally beer) were exposed above ground & buried at various depths in order to determine if still potable/drinkable? I can't find the my copy .... >:(
They were above ground so that limits the time window.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

There's also this one

Does any one have a link to the report on the Nevada test shot done in which water and beer (yes, literally beer) were exposed above ground & buried at various depths in order to determine if still potable/drinkable? I can't find the my copy .... >:(
They were above ground so that limits the time window.

VR/Marg

Were the containers sealed? If they were close enough, the beer and water might have been Pasteurized from the gamma dose. Neutrons could be a problem though. Please post the doc if you find it.

-NickDG

Some shots are pictures from Rapatronic (nanosecond range exposure times) cameras and show the "Rope Trick" effect (spikes shooting downward from fireball caused by visible light radiation heating and vaporization of guy wires supporting shot towers). Enjoy.Thanks . That song was on one of my AFF videos yrs ago. Always loved it.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d78_1176596199

Edit: Rope Trick pics attached

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

You're correct, that is the formal title. I have a VHS copy of it.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Personal trivia: I've been to the sites of the first three atomic bomb explosions: 1) Trinity site, New Mexico; 2) Hiroshima; 3) Nagasaki.

Photo: Trinity site. They open this place up one weekend per year for visitors. There's a stream of thousands of cars lined up to enter the gates, before dawn. You can still find bits of Trinitite (I think that's what it's called): a mineral that looks like pieces of green glass, where the sand was melted and fused together from the blast.

Personal trivia: I've been to the sites of the first three atomic bomb explosions: 1) Trinity site, New Mexico; 2) Hiroshima; 3) Nagasaki.

Photo: Trinity site. They open this place up one weekend per year for visitors. There's a stream of thousands of cars lined up to enter the gates, before dawn. You can still find bits of Trinitite (I think that's what it's called): a mineral that looks like pieces of green glass, where the sand was melted and fused together from the blast.

what is in the aera other then the Trinity site to see ? any other historic sights you've been too ?
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

what is in the aera other then the Trinity site to see ? any other historic sights you've been too ?

I spent about three weeks a few years ago camping my way through New Mexico from top to bottom. There are terrific national forests, volcanoes, lava flows, Indian pueblos, Indian petroglyphs, Spanish missions, old west forts and high mountains. Take your pick.

How did it feel being at the Japanese sites John? What were the locals like towards you?

I spent 1975 in Japan, 30-years after the bombing, stationed at Iwakuni, about an hour south of Hiroshima. I took the bullet train down to Nagasaki once, passing through on my way to catch a plane to South Korea.

It did make you a bit uneasy the way some of the older generation would stare at you, especially while touring the A-bomb museums, memorials and sites. We figured they had lived through that hell, and still bore some animosity. But there was never any open hostility.

The base commander did lock the front gates on the 30th-anniversary date, to keep us out of town and out of trouble. I really wanted to see the ceremony where they float thousands of candles down the river, with each candle representing a life lost.

Most of the locals were quite friendly, especially the younger generation. There's a major university in Hiroshima that has a big foreign languages program, and English is the most popular. So the University students were always anxious to try out their English skills on real Americans. Even the older folks would sometimes strike up a conversation in English, and I recall one middle-aged man in a traditional rock garden. And even a little elementary school boy on a train, who asked where I was from in America, and talked about his upcoming visit to the U.S.

Start your own thread. This one is about video, not JohnRich.

Well, no one else seems to be talking about what you want. Thread drift will take it's course to fit the interest of the willing participants.

That was tongue in cheek. There are already a ton of JohnRick threads on Speakers.
I actually DO want to hear about that stuff. The idea of one bomb killing 40,000 people is mind boggling
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Start your own thread. This one is about video, not JohnRich.

Sure just as soon as I see DJL in green.:P
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

The idea of one bomb killing 40,000 people is mind boggling

Yes, indeed. But there were many WWII conventional bombing raids which killed just as many, and did just as much damage. For example the 1,000-plane raids on Dresden, and the firebomb raids on many Japanese cities. Just because it took more effort to accomplish, doesn't make the death toll any less horrendous.