NelKel

Advice needed. CCW course

Yep, I always say never use a pistol if you can use a rifle;)

A .308win AR10 or FAL , or 6.5mm Grendel AR15 would have been a nice choice.

Something in an 18" bbl

Yup, a pistol is what you use to fight your way to a rifle ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Something in an 18" bbl

Yup, a pistol is what you use to fight your way to a rifle ;)

Geez - where do you live?! Sounds like a scary place!:D;)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Hi all, I recently signed up for a CCW course at the local shooting range. I know it a choice of personal preference but which compact gun would you prefer?
I'm considering the Springfield's XD 3" subcompact.
I can not decide between the 9mm or the .40 though.
Which one would you prefer?

Thanks

Depending on the state, if you qualify with a revolver, you can ONLY use a revolver from then on out unless you re-qualify. If you qualify with a semiauto, you can use either. Weird, but it is what it is...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Hi all, I recently signed up for a CCW course at the local shooting range. I know it a choice of personal preference but which compact gun would you prefer?
I'm considering the Springfield's XD 3" subcompact.
I can not decide between the 9mm or the .40 though.
Which one would you prefer?

Thanks

Depending on the state, if you qualify with a revolver, you can ONLY use a revolver from then on out unless you re-qualify. If you qualify with a semiauto, you can use either. Weird, but it is what it is...

Yup...that way here in Texas.

But you can qualify on any auto, then carry what you want....at least that's how it was a couple years ago.

Opinions will vary greatly. I like both the 9mm and .40 caliber cartridge. Both are adequate for personal protection. Shoot them both and go with the one you feel comfortable with. Try out a Glock as well. A Glock 26 or 27 is a great Concealed Carry pistol. Since I have big hands my Concealed Carry is a Glock 23 in. 40 caliber.

I just got the Glock 32. 357/Sig. I love it. ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

But you can qualify on any auto, then carry what you want....at least that's how it was a couple years ago.

Seems a bit odd, doesn't it? I don't understand the logic behind it, but... .

If it weren't for the problems of getting ammo, I'd love to have a 9x23 set up on a 1911 platform. 10+1 with a flush-fit mag (full-size grip, not officers/commanders model), recoil about like a .40 with .357 Mag performance.... sweeeeeeeeet!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Something in an 18" bbl

;)Edit to add: 13 +1 in the 357 and 8 in the 12 Ga. You don't want to come in my house w/o announcing yourself.

I would be afraid it would discharge accidently.

With respect, that sounds like gunwhuffo ignorance. The glock has a "trigger in the trigger".. and we all know the very best safety sits in our index fingers anyway.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I just bought a Springfield XD sub-compact in 9mm, put 110 rounds through it, and I love it. I found it to be extremely accurate. The 9mm with the right ammo should do the trick and the XD is quite concealable. Probably nothing wrong with the XD in .40 either but I haven't tried one yet.

I own a Sig P-239 in .357Sig which I also like but it is heavier, bigger...more suited for winter carry.

I have a LW Colt Commander in .45acp but, again, it's big, heavy (even if it is "light-weight"), and not very concealable unless it is winter.

I owned Glocks 17 (9mm) which worked fine but is large and a Glock 23 (.40) which did NOT work reliably even after a trip back to Glock. I sold it and bought the Sig.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Springfield XD sub-sompact in 9mm or .40. Great price, reliable, concealable, shootable.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

Seems a bit odd, doesn't it? I don't understand the logic behind it, but... .

If it weren't for the problems of getting ammo, I'd love to have a 9x23 set up on a 1911 platform. 10+1 with a flush-fit mag (full-size grip, not officers/commanders model), recoil about like a .40 with .357 Mag performance.... sweeeeeeeeet!

It does seem a bit odd...a firearms instructor / part time county cop friend from Illinois and I were discussing CC laws, he has to qualify yearly with every 'exact' pistol that he may carry....harder to do, but probably makes more sense.

I shot a .357 Coonan once (1911 in .357 magnum) and while fun the recoil was a _lot_ more substantial than full power .40 short and weak (which I love in my P16-40 and HK USP)

I have handled the Glock in stores and also have big hands. My concern was what to do with my pinkie finger.

I have a pierce magazine extension on some of my Glock 27 mags; it's just big enough for your pinkie finger without adding any length to the backstrap. However I also did a combat pistol course with the same gun without the extensions and it wasn't nearly as big a deal as I was afraid of (but the third shot on a triple tap does start to feel exciting, even if the bullet still goes where you wanted it to ;) ).

If it's a really big issue to you, try the Glock 23, which is just slightly larger and might fit your hand better.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

It does seem a bit odd...a firearms instructor / part time county cop friend from Illinois and I were discussing CC laws, he has to qualify yearly with every 'exact' pistol that he may carry....harder to do, but probably makes more sense.

In my county in CA, you have to qualify with the exact gun(s) you want to carry every other year. Makes a lot of sense to me.

BTW 9mm even penetrates car doors more effectively

I could'nt disagree more, we had Corbon 119 grain 9mm +P+ NOT penetrate a 1990 Plymouth Acclaim's door.
Five rounds hit the door and not one penetrated, hence saving some badguys who had shot at our guys.

The .40cal is a better round, it has the punch (almost) of a .45, but the lighter qualities of 9mm.

I have seen otherwise, I will say that there are several variables including angle and distance.

I can show you a thorough study that was performed, as well and it proved 9mm more effective, and it was not the result the study was looking for;)

Heck we went to a junkyard and shot alot of cars in the door and even .45acp did not do as well.

Believe me we were suprised.

If you like I will send you a link to the study.

Anyway you look at it if you cannot hit and kill a target of your choice with a 9mm, a .45acp will never help you.

If you really need to shoot *through* things, that's what .357sig and 10mm auto were designed to do. It's always a trade-off.

If size isn't an issue, try 300 winchester magnum or 50BMG. That'll solve any barrier penetration issues you're having. Just remember to check behind the target. and behind that. and behind that too... ;)

BTW 9mm even penetrates car doors more effectively

I could'nt disagree more, we had Corbon 119 grain 9mm +P+ NOT penetrate a 1990 Plymouth Acclaim's door.
Five rounds hit the door and not one penetrated, hence saving some badguys who had shot at our guys.

The .40cal is a better round, it has the punch (almost) of a .45, but the lighter qualities of 9mm.

I have seen otherwise, I will say that there are several variables including angle and distance.

I can show you a thorough study that was performed, as well and it proved 9mm more effective, and it was not the result the study was looking for;)

Heck we went to a junkyard and shot alot of cars in the door and even .45acp did not do as well.

Believe me we were suprised.

If you like I will send you a link to the study.

Anyway you look at it if you cannot hit and kill a target of your choice with a 9mm, a .45acp will never help you.

If you really need to shoot *through* things, that's what .357sig and 10mm auto were designed to do. It's always a trade-off.

If size isn't an issue, try 300 winchester magnum or 50BMG. That'll solve any barrier penetration issues you're having. Just remember to check behind the target. and behind that. and behind that too... ;)
I did some reading up on the 357/Sig after I bought it. They say it will even pierce body armor. But it causes alot of wear on the pistol. I've run a 100 or so rounds thru it at the range and my Glocksmith said it looks more like a 1000. Not sure if he knows what he's talking about tho. Anybody know anything about that?

I don't have any first hand info on that, but I have heard the same about .357/Sig. I was wondering the same thing abut in the Glock 10mm.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan