warpedskydiver

Document: Iran Caught Red-Handed Shipping Arms to Taliban

Document: Iran Caught Red-Handed Shipping Arms to Taliban

June 06, 2007 6:00 PM
blogs.abcnews.com

Brian Ross and Christopher Isham Report:

NATO officials say they have caught Iran red-handed, shipping heavy arms, C4 explosives and advanced roadside bombs to the Taliban for use against NATO forces, in what the officials say is a dramatic escalation of Iran's proxy war against the United States and Great Britain.

"It is inconceivable that it is anyone other than the Iranian government that's doing it," said former White House counterterrorism official Richard Clarke, an ABC News consultant.

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates stopped short earlier this week of blaming Iran, saying the U.S. did not have evidence "of the involvement of the Iranian government in support of the Taliban."

But an analysis by a senior coalition official, obtained by the Blotter on ABCNews.com, concludes there is clear evidence of Iran's involvement.

"This is part of a considered policy," says the analysis, "rather than the result of low-level corruption and weapons smuggling."

Iran and the Taliban had been fierce enemies when the Taliban was in power in Afghanistan, and their apparent collaboration came as a surprise to some in the intelligence community.

"I think their goal is to make it very clear that Iran has the capability to make life worse for the United States on a variety of fronts," said Seth Jones of the Rand Institute, "even if they have to do some business with a group that has historically been their enemy."

The coalition analysis says munitions recovered in two Iranian convoys, on April 11 and May 3, had "clear indications that they originated in Iran. Some were identical to Iranian supplied goods previously discovered in Iraq."

The April convoy was tracked from Iran into Helmand province and led a fierce firefight that destroyed one vehicle, according to the official analysis. A second vehicle was reportedly found to contain small arms ammunition, mortar rounds and more than 650 pounds of C4 demolition charges.

A second convoy of two vehicles was spotted on May 3 and led to the capture of five occupants and the seizure of RPG-7mm rockets and more than 1,000 pounds of C4, the analysis says.

Also among the munitions are components for the lethal EFPs, or explosive formed projectiles, the roadside bombs that U.S. officials say Iran has provided to Iraqi insurgents with deadly results.

"These clearly have the hallmarks of the Iranian Revolution Guards' Quds force," said Jones.

The coalition diplomatic message says the demolition charges "contained the same fake U.S. markings found on explosives recovered from insurgents operating in the Baghdad area."

"We believe these intercepted munitions are part of a much bigger flow of support from Iran to the Taliban," the message says.

The Taliban receives larger supplies of weapons through profits from opium dealing, officials say, but the Iranian presence could be significant.

"It means the insurgency in Afghanistan is likely to be prolonged," said Jones. "It would be a much more potent force."

Those are all OBVIOUSLY George Bushs' sockpuppets making excuses for him to start ANOTHER war....

(just thought I'd get the rabid barking moonbat answer there ahead of time)

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It's disgusting that a country would fund terrorists to fight against another country. Any country who does that should be, at the very least, be condemned by the world at large.

Oh, wait . . .

----------------------
US funds terror groups to sow chaos in Iran

By William Lowther in Washington DC and Colin Freeman
Last Updated: 12:30am GMT 25/02/2007

America is secretly funding militant ethnic separatist groups in Iran in an attempt to pile pressure on the Islamic regime to give up its nuclear programme.

In a move that reflects Washington's growing concern with the failure of diplomatic initiatives, CIA officials are understood to be helping opposition militias among the numerous ethnic minority groups clustered in Iran's border regions.

The operations are controversial because they involve dealing with movements that resort to terrorist methods in pursuit of their grievances against the Iranian regime.

In the past year there has been a wave of unrest in ethnic minority border areas of Iran, with bombing and assassination campaigns against soldiers and government officials.

Such incidents have been carried out by the Kurds in the west, the Azeris in the north-west, the Ahwazi Arabs in the south-west, and the Baluchis in the south-east. Non-Persians make up nearly 40 per cent of Iran's 69 million population, with around 16 million Azeris, seven million Kurds, five million Ahwazis and one million Baluchis. Most Baluchis live over the border in Pakistan.
advertisement

Funding for their separatist causes comes directly from the CIA's classified budget but is now "no great secret", according to one former high-ranking CIA official in Washington who spoke anonymously to The Sunday Telegraph.

His claims were backed by Fred Burton, a former US state department counter-terrorism agent, who said: "The latest attacks inside Iran fall in line with US efforts to supply and train Iran's ethnic minorities to destabilise the Iranian regime."
------------------------------------------------

Goose, meet gander.

Can you blame them? We've spent the last 5 years surrounding them.

Dont forget that handshake picture of Rummy and Sadaam while we were supporting him... I guess we punished them real good for taking those hostages.. Sadaam killed what... a million Iranians with Ronnie Rayguns help.

Hi Warped

"What goes around comes around". Don't make it right just the way it work it.

When russia was in afghanistan "nation building" we supported the afghan freedom fighters ( terrorists to the russians) with stinger missles and who knows what else.

OBL got his training as a freedom figter/terrorist fighting against the Russian invaders in afghan.
Hate to think what the bad guys are going to do with the knowledge they have picked up fighting us for the last 4-5 yr's and the next X yrs in iraq and afghan.:S

What goes around[:/]

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Until it's no longer convinient, remember that during the Iran - Iraq war Saddam was the enemy of our enemy, but I think that friendship went a little sour somewhere along the lines;-)

Nick

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Until it's no longer convinient, remember that during the Iran - Iraq war Saddam was the enemy of our enemy, but I think that friendship went a little sour somewhere along the lines;-)

Just like it is convenient for Iran to support the Taliban...it follows the same line of thought. The US stopped picking up the phone from Saddam when he gassed his own people, and then used them against Iran. The idea then, being that he would use them as a deterrent only.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Just like it is convenient for Iran to support the Taliban...it follows the same line of thought. The US stopped picking up the phone from Saddam when he gassed his own people, and then used them against Iran. The idea then, being that he would use them as a deterrent only.

Hi G

Not really sure what limits we put on Sadam for the chemical weapons he acquired from various sources. I believe We did have a embassy or at least a ambassador in Iran until Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Sorry if my facts are a little fuzy it was 17-18 yr's ago.

Just like it is convenient for Iran to support the Taliban...it follows the same line of thought. The US stopped picking up the phone from Saddam when he gassed his own people, and then used them against Iran. .

Try Googling "April Glaspie" if you think we stopped talking to Saddam.

www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SP321984.htm

There is no evidence Iran is arming the Taliban.

Iranian special forces were involved in the overthrow of the Taliban in 2001-2002, when Iran, like the US, backed the "Northern Alliance".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Iran Caught Red-Handed Shipping Arms to Taliban

Oh, how times have changed. When we funded them, they were freedom fighters. Not saying that Iran has the right. Only saying that it is a two way street. Personaly, I rather see the Taliban wiped off the face of the planet. But they have served a purpose and provided protection to the US oil industry to stretch a pipeline across Afghanistan. If anyone is to blame for what the Taliban was allowed to do, it is the US for turning a blind eye. Had our government stayed more involved in Afghanistan, we might not be in the box we are today.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Just like it is convenient for Iran to support the Taliban...it follows the same line of thought. The US stopped picking up the phone from Saddam when he gassed his own people, and then used them against Iran. .

I'm guessing that involved extenuating circumstances, outside the parameters of normal diplomatic relations.

Iranian special forces were involved in the overthrow of the Taliban in 2001-2002, when Iran, like the US, backed the "Northern Alliance".

Only according to you John, and your sources.;)

I'm guessing that involved extenuating circumstances, outside the parameters of normal diplomatic relations.

Nicely put. :D:D:D:D

Is that original?

"It is inconceivable that it is anyone other than the Iranian government that's doing it,"
"We believe ...........

What happened to we can definitively prove......
I hope the American public refuses to buy into the same weak sales pitch again.

Only according to you John, and your sources.;)

Well, I guess it's your "Seth Jones of the Rand Institute" against my "General Dan McNeill, US Army, Commander of NATO Forces in Afghanistan".

John I am willing to say that there is far more that we have not been told, than there is that has been reported.

I would stipulate that you agree

I guess being told nothing is better than being told "just another six months".:|

Well I guess I have nothing to say then. It seems everyone else already covered what the heck I was going to say.>:(>:(:P;)

So you guys agree with me that the best chocolate milk shake can be purchased at McDonalds and no where else? gawd i want one now

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Well I guess I have nothing to say then. It seems everyone else already covered what the heck I was going to say.>:(>:(:P;)

So you guys agree with me that the best chocolate milk shake can be purchased at McDonalds and no where else? gawd i want one now

Bro...the best thing in the world is a Butterfinger Blizzard from DQ
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Ok add to list of thing to try Butterfinger blizzard from DQ. What the heck is DQ? Edit to add: (yes i am stupid. you obviosly mean dairy queen. I am runing on 3 hr of sleep that damne Forza2 game. I am going home to sleep)

I had Taco bell for the first time just a few months ago haven’t been back sense but it was damn good.:)

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Ok add to list of thing to try Butterfinger blizzard from DQ. What the heck is DQ? Edit to add: (yes i am stupid. you obviosly mean dairy queen. I am runing on 3 hr of sleep that damne Forza2 game. I am going home to sleep)

I had Taco bell for the first time just a few months ago haven’t been back sense but it was damn good.:)

Dairy Queen!
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer