zagijimzoo

US military using Depleted Uranium in Iraq!

You ask for anything, even rumors. I supply a quote by Hersh backed up by a US Army report. You decide that's not credible. Which is pretty much how it usually goes around here.

"Prove it!"

"Here's the proof."

"I don't believe it!"

You could circumvent a lot of pointless posting by just stating up front "I'm not going to believe anything that I don't want to."

>I don't deny that there have been instances of bad shit done by some
>of our people over there, but those are rare cases and the exception, not
>the rule.

Sadly the Iraqis often do not agree - and their opinion is really more important than yours (or mine.)

You ask for anything, even rumors. I supply a quote by Hersh backed up by a US Army report. You decide that's not credible. Which is pretty much how it usually goes around here.

"Prove it!"

"Here's the proof."

"I don't believe it!"

You could circumvent a lot of pointless posting by just stating up front "I'm not going to believe anything that I don't want to."

>I don't deny that there have been instances of bad shit done by some
>of our people over there, but those are rare cases and the exception, not
>the rule.

Sadly the Iraqis often do not agree - and their opinion is really more important than yours (or mine.)

Hmmm...let's see. Did I ever say I didn't accept your post as some kind of evidence, even if I consider it virtually worthless? No. You are correct, I did include rumors in my request and you provided such. And, being rumors, I give it the credit I feel it deserves.
Like I said, even if everything he says is true it is still a far, far cry from the U.S. doing "most" of what SH was doing.

Ohhh when are you going to call for the banning ofweapons that use lead... do you have ANY idea how toxic that is in the environment..:S:S

Lead poisioning kills THOUSANDS every year.

I already asked a similar question in this thread, but nobody addressed it.
Ironically, the U.S. military is in the process of eliminating lead from it's ammunition. Somebody here who is familiar with the project maybe can provide more details?

>ike I said, even if everything he says is true it is still a far, far cry from
>the U.S. doing "most" of what SH was doing.

Fair enough. Personally, I don't think the US should be emulating him _at_all_. Beating prisoners to death, raping children, mass killings etc - those are doing far more damage to our cause than the insurgents ever could.

Fair enough. Personally, I don't think the US should be emulating him _at_all_. Beating prisoners to death, raping children, mass killings etc - those are doing far more damage to our cause than the insurgents ever could.

I agree with that 100%.

I agree with that 100%.

As do I - of course, the MSM and their adherents make it look like all the troops are doing it, and rarely show how the military is cracking down on the offenses...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>As do I - of course, the MSM and their adherents make it look like all the troops are doing it . . .

Have you ever seen any claim by a mainstream media source that "all our troops are doing it?" I think you may be projecting your own biases there. At most I've seen numbers like 10% of our troops mistreat non-combatants (and that's from a US army survey.)

>and rarely show how the military is cracking down on the offenses...

Well, often not much. Three soldiers were convicted in the torturing and killing of Dilawar, a cabbie in Afghanistan. One spent two months in jail, the other two served no time at all.

I said "make it look like" - too bad the MSM can't grant equal time to all the good things the troops are doing over there.

The trooper that mistakenly shoots a civilian gets the front page headline for a week or more.

The trooper that died protecting a different civilian in a firefight gets his name listed in the obits...

Tell me three times that it's not true.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>The trooper that mistakenly shoots a civilian gets the front page
>headline for a week or more.

Nowadays it takes a Haditha to get any significant coverage of specific civilian deaths. One civilian dying won't even make it into the US news at all; the 55 people killed in a car bomb attack barely get mentioned four paragraphs down. There have been tens of thousands of civilian deaths since the war began, and a significant percentage of those were collateral damage from our attacks. If what you claimed was true, then every headline since day one would have been nothing but "US kills civilians!" And that is certainly not the case.

>The trooper that died protecting a different civilian in a firefight gets his
>name listed in the obits...

That's also not true. I heard a 30 minute report on NPR about a small group of Marines who singlehandedly found about half the exhibits looted from the Baghdad Museum. CNN regularly reports on firefights where large number of insurgents are killed and one or two US soldiers.

A recent story:
----------------------------------
U.S. general keeps reminders of killed soldiers
POSTED: 10:04 p.m. EDT, May 12, 2007
CNN

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- It's an odd thing to see a general cry. But that was what, suddenly, he appeared to be doing.
. . .
"My soldiers and me are here to ensure my children and their children back home aren't going to be afraid of getting blown up when they get on a bus," he said. "That's going to happen right there in the United States if we don't fight this fight right here, right now."

"I am convinced of that."
--------------------------------

But we all see what we want to see. You think the MSM is bad, so you ignore the "good" things they write about and concentrate on the "bad." That way, it can be made to appear that they are biased into showing only bad news, and that the war is actually going well; this supports Bush by making him appear to be a more competent leader, presiding over a more successful war, hampered only by the liberal media who wish to destroy the US.

OTOH, people who hate Bush will often ignore every bit of good news out of Iraq, and make it appear that everyone there is in imminent danger of being executed by Saddam's remaining troops unless we leave. This sets up a situation where Bush is the only thing standing in the way of peace in Iraq.

Needless to say, the situation is far more complex than either of those simplistic viewpoints.

Years ago, I was an angry young man
I'd pretend that I was a billboard
Standing tall by the side of the road
I fell in love with a beautiful highway

This used to be real estate
Now it's only fields and trees
Where, where is the town
Now, it's nothing but flowers

The highways and cars
Were sacrificed for agriculture
I thought that we'd start over
But I guess I was wrong

Looking at the skewed reporting leading up to the war, and the skewed reporting going into the Congressional vote (and since) Link, no, I don't really think that leopard has changed it's spots.

Speaking of your NPR report - I heard about that roughly a year or so ago... when do you think the MSM will pick it up ... and I'll bet you a jump ticket if they ever do, that within a week, there will be reports talking about stuff that's still missing and do the Marines have them...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

folk are being held for no good reason.. True or False?

False.

Prove me wrong.

If we had GOOD reason, we would put them on trial and a jury would find the FACTS compelling enough to convict. We avoid doing that because we don't actually have a GOOD reason.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

He didn't say ALL things that SH was doing but SOME.

Like people disappearing, without what you might call due process.... for starters

I believe the word he used was "most", not "some".

Big difference in people being held by our government and those Saddam took in. If you were taken into one of Saddam's prisons because you spoke out against him you would be executed and never seen again. If you were lucky they would leave your family alone, but usually they tortured and/or killed them as well. Show me where this has happened here in the U.S.

It seems that you have forgotten the reason we went into Iraq in the third place (after the WMD myth and the Al Qaeda myth had been debunked).

If you declare yourself before the world to be the "White Hat" then it is incumbent on you not to be even a little bit grey.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

War is the worst thing there is. Anything is OK under the facile justification of defense during wartime. It's OK to kill 350,000 people with two nukes to end the war sooner, based on some estimates of how many people might die later.

And where were estimates that forecast the large number of radiation deaths that would happen? Whereas the actual results of island invasions like Iwo Jima were in the 6 figures.

Since you were part of the Democratic faction that insisted that we had to continue this war effort until Iraq had a stable peace (ie, forever), so why aren't you more to blame for the suffering now than those of us who wanted to cut and run after Saddam was deposed?