idrankwhat

"Buying the War"

I did. It was very interesting. Your question says it all. Did enough people see it? Just like the show was talking about last night. Who see's what the most on TV, is what becomes the "truth" or "reality" to most people. It's sad that the "real truth" gets buried under whatever gets the most air time.

I think Moyers is full of shit.

We did win the war, absolutely no question about it.

Did Allied forces in WWII wait to see what the attitude of Japanese and German civilians would be before declaring victory? Of course not.

Winning the peace, if that is what you want to call it is a different matter, very important of course, but very different than winning the war against the Hussein regime.

If one wants to conclude that the Iraqi people don't desire or aren't ready for democracy, and therefore aren't worth the fight on their behalf, that is something I could possibly accept, but it is a different matter than whether we won the war.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Standard Operating Procedure - declare victory, give everyone a medal, and bring the troops home.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Standard Operating Procedure - declare victory, give everyone a medal, and bring the troops home.

Perhaps we shouldn't have cared what happened after winning the war. I'm willing to consider if that should have been the strategy.

Either we should fight with everything we got, or get out immediately. Neither the Repubs or Dems are willing to do either.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Perhaps we shouldn't have cared what happened after winning the war. I'm willing to consider if that should have been the strategy.

Either we should fight with everything we got, or get out immediately. Neither the Repubs or Dems are willing to do either.

I think what we need to do is convince people who live in the lands they live in to build the nations. Maybe I'm missing something here. I mean, we're going to have kind of a nation building corps from America? Absolutely not. Our military is meant to fight and win war. That's what it's meant to do. And when it gets overextended, morale drops.

G.W. Bush, Oct 11, 2000

Our military is meant to fight and win war.

... I thought it was meant to defend the Country...

The state dept/other parts of govt are the first lines of defense. War is politics via other methods, and the DoD is there to fight and win wars, not make policy.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Pure semantics. We won the war against Saddam's regular forces - so fucking what? Does that in any way lessen the quagmire we've been in since then?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Pure semantics. We won the war against Saddam's regular forces - so fucking what? Does that in any way lessen the quagmire we've been in since then?

The words that are used and their meaning matter a great deal. We did win the war. There is plenty to criticize, but not that fact.

And this has to do with the content of the post how?
Or is this just a knee jerk reaction by someone who has no idea what the program was about? It's pretty lame to slam the content when you don't even know what it is or what he's talking about.
C'mon, you're missing a perfect opportunity to rant on the inadequacy of the "liberal" media. If you were to take that route I'd join in the bash fest with you!

And this has to do with the content of the post how?
Or is this just a knee jerk reaction by someone who has no idea what the program was about? It's pretty lame to slam the content when you don't even know what it is or what he's talking about.
C'mon, you're missing a perfect opportunity to rant on the inadequacy of the "liberal" media. If you were to take that route I'd join in the bash fest with you!

Don't you just hate it when posters go off tangent with kneejerk nonsense?>:(

Especially when they confuse the issue with half truths?:o

Not to re-direct the thread but I don't recall hearing many of those who damned Gore for making those calls condemning Cheney for having a $24 million fund raiser once he settled in to his new VP digs.

Not to re-direct the thread but I don't recall hearing many of those who damned Gore for making those calls condemning Cheney for having a $24 million fund raiser once he settled in to his new VP digs.

Thanks for being thorough in your critique. It makes it easier to point out the first five words of my post.:)

Thanks for being thorough in your critique. It makes it easier to point out the first five words of my post.:)

Right up there with insults that begin with "Don't take this personally, but..." :P

You may take this as an insult or a compliment, but you are a master of thread drift. I'm not sure if it's participator or precipitator but I commend you, speaking or course as one tangential thinker to another.
Now, back to the thread. Did you see the program by any chance? Any thoughts? No interest? It's all Clinton's fault?

I'm not sure if it's participator or precipitator but I commend you, speaking or course as one tangential thinker to another.

Precipitator? The only definition I could find involved a dust/particle/smoke filter. Seems apt... and complimentary.

I like to think of it as "Calling Bullshit where it's warranted".;)

Since I learned from that other thread that GWB is obviously fascist and deliberately moving our country toward a fascist government, I wonder what he's gonna do to Bill Moyer to squash (squish?) him....
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

That's right...

Bush is a Fascist.

Cheney was behind the 9/11 attacks.

People in the White House are hoping for another 9/11 type attack, so they can declare Martial Law. Not to be confused w/ Marshall Law :$

All of our civil rights are being destroyed by the current administration.

Bush stole the 2000 election.

Bush and Cheney only care about helping their oil industry pals get rich.

The government blocks national press organizations from printing stories.

How do I know these things?

Posters on this site said so.

I almost forgot - Bush hates black people.

That's right...

Bush is a Fascist.

People in the White House are hoping for another 9/11 type attack, so they can declare Marshall Law.

I almost forgot - Bush hates black people.

Well, Bush is a bit of an ass, but probably not all of those other things (just some of 'em)...lol. :D:D
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Since I learned from that other thread that GWB is obviously fascist and deliberately moving our country toward a fascist government, I wonder what he's gonna do to Bill Moyer to squash (squish?) him....

He doesn't have to do anything to Bill so long as "Dancing with the Surviving American Idol Apprentice" is on every night. Bill's on PBS and the American public is self censoring.

That's right...

Bush is a Fascist.

People in the White House are hoping for another 9/11 type attack, so they can declare Marshall Law.

Marshall Law?

Given your admitted fondness for definitions (e.g. "precipitator"), what exactly is Marshall Law?

can declare Martial Law. Not to be confused w/ Marshall Law :$

Marital Law?
Maritime Law?
Meredith's Law?

What's that about?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Either we should fight with everything we got, or get out immediately.

Are you saying we're not?

If you believe solving the problems in Iraq is just about fighting, what are you saying we should be doing differently?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Bill Moyer and Dan Rather getting all warm and cozy. The piece had many inaccuracies as pointed out by other news sources. It was a Big Lib telling the story as he sees it.

As Dan Rather put it so clearly, they have a well oiled slime machine even though he was referring to Foxnews, I use it in reference to the Liberal Media.

The media as a whole is loathed by a majority in the US. The Libs hate em, but love their own, and the Consv. hate em, but love their own. Media ranks below used car salesman and insurance agents.

But I digress, it was an excellent program viewed by fewer than a million people, but to its targeted audience it was a success.