Axe_Murderer

When is it ok to shoot somebody?

I've been pondering (i know, i shouldn't :D) the idea of carrying a gun to protect myself

I actually don't know when it would be ok to use it though.... i'm interested in the views of the gun carriers on here, when would they use their gun?

How about if they were just about to get mugged in the street? Would they shoot the mugger dead? Obviously if the mugger had a knife or a gun then i know the answer would be yes (and i agree) but what if the mugger didn't have either of those, what if he was trying to mug you by using his fists? Would you get your gun out to scare him off? what if that didn't scare him off, would you kill him/her to stop somebody mugging you but not threatening your life?

What about people who talk on their cell phones in theaters?:o
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Careful, Zippo. I'm no expert, but I've always thought that you should not pull it out until it's time to use it. It you take it out to scare someone, you run the risk of having it taken from, and used to shoot you.

So taking the time to give someone the Dirty Harry 44 Magnum speech isn't a good idea? Damn. I so want to do that.

No 1 said u had 2 kill any1. What happened to shooting knee caps and elbows?:D

That'll get you thrown in jail. The prosecutor will tell the jury, "If he had time to aim for the knee caps and elbows, he obviously wasn't really in danger."
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

But do you think you could safely defend yourself in such a situation, i.e., being mugged. You're pumped up on adrenaline, scared and God knows what is going on in your mind. Cops spend countless of hours training and retraining just to be able to control themselves in such situations and even then they make mistakes.

Do you think you could safely perform your emergency procedures in such a situation, i.e., a parachute malfunction? You're pumped up on adrenaline, scared, and gosh knows what is going on in your mind. Army paratroops spend countless hours training and retraining just to be able to control themselves in such situations, and even then they make mistakes.

Gosh, I don't think any of us candy-ass civilian skydivers are qualified to handle emergency situations. We should all quit the sport, immediately!

Is there something special about being employed by the government that makes those people competent, and everyone else incompetent? Such is the mindset of the gun-o-phobes...

I've been pondering the idea of carrying a gun to protect myself

Laws vary widely by state, you don't say where you live, and your profile is blank.

So start here to see what the requirements are for your state:
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

thanks for that, i've been thinking about it and i don't think i'm the right person to be carrying a gun, i don't have the balls to use one... so it would be dangerous for me to be walking around with one i think, but thanks for the replies anyway

thanks for that, i've been thinking about it and i don't think i'm the right person to be carrying a gun, i don't have the balls to use one... so it would be dangerous for me to be walking around with one i think, but thanks for the replies anyway

nonetheless, if you did the work now, you could change your mind later.

the only reason I got my first guns is that in 1999 it appeared as though California might make it very hard to get them later. Gun controllers actually encouraged me to go out and get my arsenal. 4 years later, most of the specific models I got were no longer saleable in the state.

Do I need em? Nope. But should needs change, they're there and no 10 day wait.

Please dont take this as a PA or me picking on you. But do you think you could safely defend yourself in such a situation, i.e., being mugged. You're pumped up on adrenaline, scared and God knows what is going on in your mind. Cops spend countless of hours training and retraining just to be able to control themselves in such situations and even then they make mistakes.

Thats why I tell people to get a simple double action only weapon...Complicated safety's only add steps.

But, just pulling a gun out is enough for most crooks to run. And if a person is no longer in direct threat they may not think about shooting. LOTS of variables. But one thing is clear, having a gun does not mean you need to use it.

First, I'm not directing this torwards you.

you or someone in your vicinity is about to be killed

That would sound right but how do you know the person that's about to shoot another person or stab another person wasn't the original victim that was going to get murdered or assaulted?

As far as armed or unarmed muggers - I would consider any mugger a threat to my life, and would probably pull my gun. I'd only shoot if the threat continued or became more serious.

This is the reason why so many people get hurt or even killed from robberies. Not every instance is the same of course. Some muggers will walk away if you give them your wallet, money, etc. Some will still assault you even after you do so. Some will just shoot or stab you first and then go through your pockets/wallet.

We're not mind readers and we can't predict the future. There is no right or wrong approach because you have to look at the given situation first. Then, you can monday night quarterback.

A few people have already mentioned this, take a CHL course first and find out what your state law says about carrying guns and find out where it is stated regarding when you can shoot and cannot shoot.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

I'm no expert, but I've always thought that you should not pull it out until it's time to use it. It you take it out to scare someone, you run the risk of having it taken from, and used to shoot you.

If you wrestle with a mugger on the ground and he feels your gun, he's going to go for it and shoot you too. There are too many what ifs, what you can do, what you should've done, etc in this type of situation.

I've always told my wife that if you pick it up, you are then obligated to kill the guy as quickly as possible. If you don't, you are dead, yourself.

That all depends on the situation at that very moment. That's pretty much telling her that once she touches the gun she has to shoot and kill the other person. There have been many instances where civilians have used their guns at home to detain a suspect. They used their firearm to keep the suspect down and prevent him from moving until the police got there.

Harlem is a bit different from Malibu.

You have to stop watching too many movies. Harlem is not a bad area. There are apartment complexes there that sell apartments for 1-2million dollars per unit. Harlem has become a business community. Brownsville Brooklyn and the South Bronx are worth yapping about.

They don't spend that much time training, and many do a lot less target practice than people here, or anyone that regularly goes to a range.

I would get my facts straight first before making this kind of statement. If you were in NY and you do a survey on the 60,000 cops here then you can make such a statement.

Do you think you could safely perform your emergency procedures in such a situation, i.e., a parachute malfunction? You're pumped up on adrenaline, scared, and gosh knows what is going on in your mind. Army paratroops spend countless hours training and retraining just to be able to control themselves in such situations, and even then they make mistakes.

I've seen civilians freak out and even stand there and do nothing but watch street brawls happening right in front of them. Adrenaline is never predictable. Some run and some stay to fight.
As far as making mistakes, no one is superhuman or supercool under pressure.

Is there something special about being employed by the government that makes those people competent, and everyone else incompetent? Such is the mindset of the gun-o-phobes

It's all about the training....

You have to stop watching too many movies. Harlem is not a bad area. There are apartment complexes there that sell apartments for 1-2million dollars per unit. Harlem has become a business community. Brownsville Brooklyn and the South Bronx are worth yapping about.

You think any borough of New York City will compare well to one of the richest suburbs of LA? There are million dollar apartments in the gentrified Mission district of San Francisco, but it's still not a nice scene compared to the Presidio.

I would get my facts straight first before making this kind of statement. If you were in NY and you do a survey on the 60,000 cops here then you can make such a statement.

Was it 39 bullets they put into that unarmed guy?

Yeah, training all right.

Certainly the cops train better than any other NYC citizens - the latter aren't even allowed to have handguns. But out here, there are people who fire a few hundred rounds a week.

You think any borough of New York City will compare well to one of the richest suburbs of LA? There are million dollar apartments in the gentrified Mission district of San Francisco, but it's still not a nice scene compared to the Presidio.

LA is actually pretty nice. Nothing compares to Beverly Hills or Century City. You guys have class!

Was it 39 bullets they put into that unarmed guy?

Yeah, training all right.

Certainly the cops train better than any other NYC citizens - the latter aren't even allowed to have handguns. But out here, there are people who fire a few hundred rounds a week.

Easy there buddy....I can't comment on that situation because I wasn't there. Therefore, I cannot monday night quarterback on that one. By all means, you can but I'm just going to keep my =X. Besides, there's another older thread to take up that type of argument. This thread is about some dude that wants to carry a concealed weapon on his person.

Edited to add: How did you get that centipede to stand still on your shoulder during your x-ray?

Not read the thread, but the answer to the title is never. You might have to shoot someone, but that doesn't make it ok.

Unfortunately, we live in a world with sick, twisted and ruthless individuals. Some people are normal and they just snap or reach the end of their long fuse. Some people get so adrenaline pumped they blow situations out of proportion in their mind. Shit happens. Casualties of life happens. Welcome to the world!