ExAFO

What do the School Books in the UK...

Guys, he's referring to the treasonous collonial rebellion of 1775, this will help you remember.

;)

In Scotland I was taught about the Boston Tea Party that sparked the whole thing off and not much else. I also remember the "I cannot tell a lie" George Washington tree chopping story and was told about Johnny Appleseed planting apples all over America but this was all probably in "primary school" I think, so it was for 12 and under. It was probably a very brief curriculum on America, it's funny with hindsight the random stuff they pick to teach you (or maybe that's just my memory selectively recalling a few things). It was probably a brief lesson.

There was an revolution?:P

SHHhhh...:o That's what we told the Yanks (Jonathans) when we ditched independence on them. It was either that or Britain taking the blame for Big-Macs, Starbucks-Coffee, Colonel Saunders, Colonel North, Gangsta-Rap, The Ford Edsel, Michael Jackson etc...

Can you imagine the embarrassment to The Queen of having Dubbie as "Her Majesty's Governor.."!!!:$

Hence King George III's brilliant strategic plan. He even acted mad so the colonials wouldn't catch on.:ph34r:

Mike.

Edited to add: Seriously; It's taught as "A war of independence" - self determination, with reference made to the ludicrousness of "An Island Ruling a Continent", and the whole "No Taxation without Representation" thing.

Probably pretty much as Y'All teach it, but with the Brits of the time being foolish & unfair rather than being bad.... Before sliding nicely back into our national pastime of kicking the $hit out of the French.:)

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

P.S. when I was in London recently, near the US embassy, there was a plaque next to a door, it said something like (and I'm paraphrasing severely). "Benedict Arnold, Patriot and Hero Lived Here." with some dates. Great stuff.

In Canada we were taught about the "taxation without representation" thing. Brief mention was given to attitudes in London that 'the colonies are not worth the bother,' and the higher importance of thrashing the French. We were then given several months of the glorious accounts of the true heroes of the age. The United Empire Loyalists were horrified with the vicious acts of the republican terrorists due to the 'mob rule' that held (holds) sway in the barbarian lands to our south. Those who could escape with their families came to the loyal colonies and formed the cornerstone of our great nation.
Isn't that how it's taught everywhere?

Some Brit friends have told me they learned that the Colonies were ungrateful for all the benefits of British rule and that they were well rid of us because we were such a rude and violent bunch. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Some Brit friends have told me they learned that the Colonies were ungrateful for all the benefits of British rule....

No Mate, that's part of the pi$$-take version. We were taught that Britain was spending quite a lot of money on our national pastime (kicking the $hit out of the French) and needed to milk a few Cash-Cows to finance this. Hence the "Stamp-Duty" levied on trade goods (Sugar & Tea). A sort of early sales tax but levied on the importers, which made the import & export of almost any goods to the colonies prohibitively expensive. There was also a belief among the "Finking-Klasses" that the Monarchy, Court & Government should have it's power curtailed. Both these things came together to forment the American Rebellion, their independence, and model of Government.

Then again, there was also a fair bit of local history for me & my schoolmates in this, coming from the same area as the Washington family. We might have done it in more detail and slightly differently from the rest of Britain.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I wasn't taught anything :S

We were too busy being taught black history, about oppressed minority groups and other religions so we could be wonderfully diverse as opposed to important stuff. Plus of course I dropped history to study Geography.

I always used to get pissed off in religious education when the teacher used to bring in unlevened bread and shit like that for us to try. Some school class, somewhere, is eating a slap up roast dinner in a far away land. Wankers >:(

I wasn't taught anything :S

We were too busy being taught black history, about oppressed minority groups and other religions so we could be wonderfully diverse as opposed to important stuff. Plus of course I dropped history to study Geography.

Well you're young, they stopped teaching in favor of social engineering a while back. That's what happens when you put arts majors in charge of young minds. :P

Didn't really cover it in much detail but the bare bones were something like Benedict Arnold was a traitor turned hero, the Americans were pissed and threw a load of tea into Boston harbour. The British forces were led by men who could buy themselfs a commision and so wern't upto much. The Americans fought like the Taliban not like proper soldiers of the time and they would have got their asses kicked but the French came and saved them at the last minute.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Call/say about the American Revolution?

Always wondered how that's discussed...

A bunch of tax evaders who didn't want to pay their share of the costs of the French and Indian War, aided and abetted by the evil duplicity of the French.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

DidThe Americans fought like the Taliban not like proper soldiers of the time and they would have got their asses kicked but the French came and saved them at the last minute.

So the French kicked the Brits butt??

It happens once every 1,000 years.:(

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As I have a proud heritage of ancestors who served in the Scots Guards I'd have to agree with you.B|
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca