mikempb

christians should.....

>but it seems ironic the tension that would insue trying to bring people
>together that believe we are all united by the same faith . . .

Well, how many tens of thousands have died because the protestants have a slightly different view of the church than catholics? Nowadays we have close to 1200 different versions of christians right here in the US, under eight major branches. If someone wants to believe that the Pope is infallible (or whatever) I say let them! Most of the various established churches generally have a lot more to do with maintaining their own congregations (and funding) than following the message of Christ - although many of them do a lot of good in their own way.

You just had to throw #2 in there, truth is painful enough without having put in your face. Professed Christians have done their share of screwing people over.

Perhaps I should'nt us the word screwing, but it flowed right off my fingers.

Actually it was you who brought up number 2.... I was just responding to your post.

And as for the screwing thing..... I'll just leave that one alone... its too easy. :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Ian:

That made me laugh! We were taught the word "Christian" means "Christ Like" meaning we should set a standard to live by as we were taught to live by the "son of man's" life on earth, AKA: Jesus Christ. Do we always do it? Well, of course not. Can we give it our best shot with God's help? Sure we can. But we will inevitably fail, time after time. So we must continue trying as best we can, that's all we can do as mere mortals.

Again, everyone is entitled to live as they wish. I am by no means trying to persuade anyone to believe what i do. As i said earlier, trying to convince someone of something they choose not to believe is an exercise in futility, and it always will be. The mind has to be receptive of things not seen. One thing i know for sure from my own personal experiences, people can, and do change.

You must not be a republican... :P
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Qoute"Most of the various established churches generally have a lot more to do with maintaining their own congregations (and funding) than following the message of Christ - although many of them do a lot of good in their own way. "

Thats the problem the few who lead are responsible for the masses. in theory we all should agree to disagree about the small stuff and see the big picture. When you get cought up in man made rules or greed in a pure religion it makes it hard for everyone to see past all of burocracy.

Did you just admit Christ existed?

I was under the impression that his existence and crucifiction was a historical fact. I beleive the dabate really centered around whether or not he was who he claimed to be.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Christians as a whole are quite tolerant unlike many atheist. Far more money is given for the common good than atheist as a whole. (Through that in there just to get this thead going) :ph34r:

When Christians accept the Mormons or the Unis, I'll start to believe it. Isn't one of the protestant sects falling into pieces merely because the leadership decided to accept gays (or was it women pastors?)?

Churches steal from the common good - the contributes are tax deductable.

Churches steal from the common good - the contributes are tax deductable.

Many charities, Christian or not, are tax-deductible. Are the non-christian charities stealing from the gov't/"common good" too?
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

Do you think all christians should collectively agree to join together?
...if they all would come together, the protestants,baptists, catholics,etc.etc.. wouldnt we have better comunication with each other and not feel divided?

Theoretically, we're already "joined together" by our faith in Christ. Unfortunately, there is disagreement on certain incidentals and many groups which accentuate some teachings over others which make us look quite a bit different from one another. This isn't what Christ wanted, of course; He said as much in His prayer the night before his crucifixion:

(John 17)20 "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

As for our differences or quarrels, those are private "family" matters. In the meantime take heart; eventually, we'll be united.
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

Honestly, I don't think anybody will be able to agree on anything enough to actually be able to unify christianity.

Besides, it that were to happen the Irish would have too much free time on their hands, and they may actually learn to play proper cricket.:)

One website that really seems to cover in detail the ins & outs of Catholic belief is http://www.justforcatholics.org/answers.htm

It's composed by this guy - http://www.justforcatholics.org/about.htm who said "I was brought up in a devout Catholic family. I thank God for my parents and my Catholic teachers who taught me the fear of the Lord as best as they knew how."

I don't really think that it matters what you're called, but I would think that a "true Christian" would be someone who completely trusts in Christ and Christ alone for salvation.

Good post buddy. Good questions. I don't think people should fight either. Especially since one person can't convince another peson of something against their will.

They might pray for the intercession of a saint or Mary, but they don't actually pray to them the way they pray to God.

That's an interesting statement. Then why do Catholics say "Hail Mary's" for the forgiveness of sins? Why confess their sins to a mortal? Why all of the statues of Saint Mary in everybodies yards? Is this not idolotry?....

The end of the Hail Mary asks "Pray for us sinners..." The Hail Mary isn't a prayer to Mary as some kind of goddess, it's a request to Mary to pray for the person saying the prayer.

Semantic rubbish. It's clearly a prayer to Mary.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Good post buddy. Good questions. I don't think people should fight either. Especially since one person can't convince another peson of something against their will.

Thanks:)Anyway Too many topics surrounding religion turn sour, I just wanted one to be enjoyable as it should be

Semantic rubbish. It's clearly a prayer to Mary.

That's shallow, you could dismiss the trinity as semantic rubbish just as easily.

While you might think it's all rubbish, traditional doctrinal differences hinge on these issues and take the distinctions very seriously, even if they make absolutely no frikin' sense.