JohnRich

Americans: Do you feel your children are threatened by being shot by automatic weapons in their schoolyard?

Yeah... I think the only things he forgot was swooping and exit order...:D

but that stuff has been covered thoroughly, unlike topics here which are all fresh and new and thought provoking

really, I'm just marvelling at the contrast

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I love Speakers Corner.

Yep. You can always express your opinion and have it respected here.

I'm not sure "respected" was the word you were looking for......

mocked, ignored, reinvented, misstated, used as a stepping stone for someone else's pet issue

all come to mind, not respected,

I believe I have correctly communicated my thoughts to you.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I believe I have correctly communicated my thoughts to you.

I can respect that :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't have children so, my answer has to be no, but you might wanna talk to the folks at this venue.

True, they were only semi-automatic.

I wondered if the 'automatic' bit was a trap by John. And to really anal about it, clearly children are threatened by violence, but to what degree? The answer is yes if the odds are 1 in a million (more than reality) or 1 in 1000 (skydivers). Kids are safer at school than at home with the swimming pool and their uncle Jerry, but they're still at risk.

Without the guns, Columbine could have and likely would have been far worse (failed bomb in cafeteria).

All the playing's stopped in the playground now
She wants to play with her toys awhile
And school's out early and soon we'll be learning
That the lesson today is how to die
And then the bullhorn crackles
And the captain tackles
With the problems and the how's and why's
And he can see no reasons
Cause there are no reasons
What reasons do you need to die

And the silicon chip inside her head
gets switched to overload
and nobody's gonna go to school today
she's gonna make them stay at home
And Daddy doesn't understand it
He always said she was good as gold
And he can see no reason
Cause there are no reasons
What reasons do you need to be shown

Tell me why
I don't like Mondays
Tell me why
I don't like Mondays
Tell me why
I don't like Mondays
I want to shoot
The whole day down

From other posts here, one could think that the only people concerned with American school children being shot by automatic gunfire in their schoolyards are foreigners.

What do you think?

Yes... I worry about it all day long... I worry that those precious bullets are gonna be wasted on children while they could've been used on you.:D
Gravity Waits for No One.

I wondered if the 'automatic' bit was a trap by John.

No trap. Just mimicing the exact words used by the Brit who got this thread started with a statement he made elsewhere.

That would be me everyone...... not sure what JR means by mimicing though, maybe its some sort of gun lingo?

JR honestly you are hilarious..

Anyway I stumbled across this report
"Thinking about the recent shootings at schools: In your opinion, how likely is it that these kinds of shootings could happen in your community? Is it very likely, somewhat likely, somewhat unlikely, or very unlikely?"
%
Very likely 31
Somewhat likely 34
Somewhat unlikely 20
Very unlikely 13
Unsure 2

So a WHOPPING 65% of your fellow Americans JR believe that there is a likely chance that shootings will happen

Now I would put money on the fact that if that very same question was posed to us "brits" that you would get a very different response. In fact correct me if im wrong but I far as I can tell there has never been a school yard massacre in England.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

You know .... I once heard Marilyn Manson's music on the radio, and I suddenly had the need to need to kill and eat my parents. ......

It was Barry Manilow that did that to me. Fortunately, there was a Slayer DVD available that brought me back to my usual cool-headed state. Nothing like a little raining blood to in a controlled environment to keep me doing something malicious and deadly....like throwing a McDonalds cup into the car next to me. Man, I was THIS close to losing it!

So far, 14 of 32 Americans voted yes. :o

There's a lot of paranoia around here. ...

"Sutler: Mr. Dascombe, what we need is a clear message to the people of the country! This message should be read in every newspaper, heard on every radio, seen on every television. This message must resound throughout the ENTIRE INTERLINK! I want this country to realize that we stand on the edge of oblivion! I want every man, woman, and child to understand how close we are to chaos! I WANT EVERYONE TO REMEMBER WHY THEY NEED US!"

"Thinking about the recent shootings at schools: In your opinion, how likely is it that these kinds of shootings could happen in your community?

"Could happen" doesn't mean crap as a poll question. Anything "could" happen. A meteor could strike the earth tomorrow. A plague could wipe out mankind. The earth could cease to rotate. Anti-gun people could make sense...

correct me if im wrong but I far as I can tell there has never been a school yard massacre in England.

The Moors murders.
Hungerford.
The House of Horrors.
Dunblane.
Shipman.
Soham.
London train bombings.
Ipswich Ripper.

No, madmen would never kill large numbers of people in the British Isles.

In fact correct me if im wrong but I far as I can tell there has never been a school yard massacre in England.

You Brits used to have plenty of carnage from IRA bombings--certainly more civilized than the shootings we have in the US.

Oh, and we can't forget the London train bombings.

Of course your neighbor Scotland is obviously not quite so civilized:

Scotland, March 1996: Gun enthusiast Thomas Hamilton shoots 16 children and their teacher dead at their primary school in Dunblane, Scotland before killing himself.

Walt

From other posts here, one could think that the only people concerned with American school children being shot by automatic gunfire in their schoolyards are foreigners.

What do you think?

I worry about fanatical Muslims with improvised weapons.

Walt

How are terrorist attacks analogous to school shootings? Was 9/11 similar to Columbine?

Innocent people die at the hands of madmen.

Let's turn that question around: Why do you think they should be considered different? (This should be good.)

How are terrorist attacks analogous to school shootings? Was 9/11 similar to Columbine?

I think conceptually there are far more similarities than differences. Both were carried out by nut cases who thought it was ok to kill innocent people because of perceived mistreatment by others.

Walt

perceived mistreatment by others

with the columbine shootings however the kids involved really were mistreated. I'm not saying it justified the shootings but they were driven to act out.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower