NCclimber

Honesty of Global Warming movement???

>But why the farmers?

Farmers often install solar because it gives them independence from blackouts. Most farmers are far from the grid with less-reliable power.

>At my current electricity bill it would take me 30 years to recover the
>cost (when all my needs are covered with solar). Why should I go solar?

If you don't want to - don't.

People pay off mortgages over the course of 35 years, so for some people, long term investment is a sound idea. Additionally, that 30 years assumes the cost of power won't change. Historically, it has been shown to increase.

Around here payback times are around 25 years without subsidies, around 15 years with - assuming the cost of power stays the same. If you assume it will increase at around 8% a year, then that number goes down to about 10 years.

But again, if you don't want to, don't. Let someone else generate your power and pay whatever they ask. It will likely be cheaper in the short term.

So what is YOUR position on this? Previously you said you agreed the planet was warming, but it was natural and had nothing to do with man; that position would disagree with the opinions in the article you posted. Are you now changing back to "the planet isn't warming?"

So what is YOUR position on this? Previously you said you agreed the planet was warming, but it was natural and had nothing to do with man; that position would disagree with the opinions in the article you posted. Are you now changing back to "the planet isn't warming?"

Where did I say that oh twister of my words
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I have posted to billvon about the collection technics and have been lambasted for it.

You're not lambasted for finding the occasional interesting anomaly in the popular press. You're lambasted for your partisan spastic dance to build a coherent theory from them them at all costs to logic.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I have posted to billvon about the collection technics and have been lambasted for it.

You're not lambasted for finding the occasional interesting anomaly in the popular press. You're lambasted for your partisan spastic dance to build a coherent theory from them them at all costs to logic.

Oooooo, I must be getting close to home.

Nice PA
Abraham Lincoln

Oooooo, I must be getting close to home.

You've got to admire someone who can be shown to be absolutely obsessed with a failing position and think of that as validation.

Religions work that way too, if I'm not mistaken.

Failing huh? I will mark this post for later reference.

It is amazing to me that when info that goes against your position comes to light the poster is attacked.

Do you have anything to say about the article?

Sorry, maybe that is too much to ask.
Abraham Lincoln

So you dissagree with the article?
Remster

Well, to clarify matters then, regardless of cause, do you think the earth is getting warmer?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>>Previously you said you agreed the planet was warming, but it was
>>natural and had nothing to do with man

>Where did I say that oh twister of my words

"My position is the climated changes. It has been in a warming cycle. Man has little if any imput into that." (RushMC, 1/3/2007)

Are you now changing your position to agree with the latest denial?

Well, to clarify matters then, regardless of cause, do you think the earth is getting warmer?

I HAVE SAID YES TO THAT MANY TIMES ON THIS SITE FCFS!!! The two main points I will continue to point out is 1 I do not believe that man is the cause and 2 NOT ALL SCIENTISTS AGREE

Can it get any fucking clearer than that???
Abraham Lincoln

You know, maybe I should just cherry pick out the lines within and article that support only my point. Would that make it easier or would you perfer the whole article for context and honesty.

The article I posted clearly has issues with the way GW temp data is collected which is another point I have made in this debate. You just want to pick out bits and pieces to make this all seem confusing.

Why? I have an idea but I will not post it here.
Abraham Lincoln

>>do you think the earth is getting warmer?

>I HAVE SAID YES TO THAT MANY TIMES ON THIS SITE FCFS!!!

Fair enough. So you disagree with the article you posted, which claims the earth is not warming and it's a figment of the measurement process.

> You know, maybe I should just cherry pick out the lines within and article that support only my point. Would that make it easier or would you perfer the whole article for context and honesty.

The article I posted clearly has issues with the way GW temp data is collected which is another point I have made in this debate. You just want to pick out bits and pieces to make this all seem confusing.

Why? I have an idea but I will not post it here.

Hey did you here about the GW Religion march to bring attention to Global Warming. They had to brave a blowing Snow Storm, just plan funny.

Just a follow up, has anybody recued them two pour Pollar Bares stuck and staving on the Ice Flow? Any recue mission being planned? Times running out with rising temp. and such, them poor things could drown.:P

>>do you think the earth is getting warmer?

>I HAVE SAID YES TO THAT MANY TIMES ON THIS SITE FCFS!!!

Fair enough. So you disagree with the article you posted, which claims the earth is not warming and it's a figment of the measurement process.

And in my beleifs that the earth is warming I may be wrong. I have been skepitacal of the "science" for some time now. This is first time I have seen this position. What is your take on it?

Now, you add back the other articel you like to keep bringing back up and maybe the earth is not warming.

In any event, you continue to avoid the context of what I bring up for some kind of word game. That says volumes in and of itself.....don't you think?
Abraham Lincoln

>Hey did you here about the GW Religion march to bring attention to
>Global Warming. They had to brave a blowing Snow Storm, just plan funny.

You must believe in the carefully-cultivated intentional misconception that global warming will result in warmer and drier temperatures everywhere. Contrary to many strawmen that the deniers have constructed, climate change will not eliminate winter.

> You must believe in the carefully-cultivated intentional misconception that global warming will result in warmer and drier temperatures everywhere. Contrary to many strawmen that the deniers have constructed, climate change will not eliminate winter.

No, I believe I know very little, OK maybe nothing on the matter of GW other than I thought it was funny having a Global Warming March in blowing snow. In a desert would have made their point alittle clearer.

>I have been skepitacal of the "science" for some time now. This is first
>time I have seen this position. What is your take on it?

I don't know of any organization that uses geometric averages for temperature averages as he claims; NOAA uses straight arithmetic averages, and they provide much of the data used to estimate the degree of warming. If he identified an organization that did, I would be interested to review their methodology to see if they do indeed inflate their numbers by using a different methodology. Do you know of any that do?

This statement:

"it is meaningless to talk about a a global temperature for Earth."

is foolish. The temperature in your refrigerator is not homogeneous either; the light bulb is much warmer when the door is open, the coils are much colder, and recently inserted items are warmer. But if you used that to claim "it's meaningless, therefore, if the average temperature in my refrigerator is 40 degrees or 70 degrees" people would laugh. Sane people know that your milk will spoil quickly if the average temperature in your refrigerator is 70 degrees, no matter what numerical hoops mathematicians jump through.

Average temperatures DO matter, and we can see the results every day in Alaska, Greenland, Europe, Maine, Mexico etc.

>In any event, you continue to avoid the context of what I bring up for
> some kind of word game. That says volumes in and of itself.....don't you
>think?

Yep. I think it indicates that you're not following the thread.

>In a desert would have made their point alittle clearer.

If they had done that, deniers would have complained that it's ALWAYS hot in the desert, or something like that.

Climate change doesn't mean that Chicago will reach 90F in January, and it doesn't mean monster storms will come and kill everyone. It means that a 100F heat wave will last an extra day, or be one degree warmer. It means spring will come just a few days sooner. It means that snowfall may be just a bit heavier, and that hurricane may be a bit stronger. We can deal with these changes if they happen slowly. The debate now is how fast we want to force these changes to happen, and whether it would make more economic sense to slow down the changes and save all the money we'd otherwise spend on disaster mitigation (like, say, evacuating Bangladesh.)

>In a desert would have made their point alittle clearer.

If they had done that, deniers would have complained that it's ALWAYS hot in the desert, or something like that.

Climate change doesn't mean that Chicago will reach 90F in January, and it doesn't mean monster storms will come and kill everyone. It means that a 100F heat wave will last an extra day, or be one degree warmer. It means spring will come just a few days sooner. It means that snowfall may be just a bit heavier, and that hurricane may be a bit stronger. We can deal with these changes if they happen slowly. The debate now is how fast we want to force these changes to happen, and whether it would make more economic sense to slow down the changes and save all the money we'd otherwise spend on disaster mitigation (like, say, evacuating Bangladesh.)

There you do it again. You make a statement that GWisn is caused by man and there is no agrument about that as if it is fact.

What a crazy position.

I do understand why you need to look at it that way however. Time is your enemy in this cause. You have less than 5 years (I believe) to make changes in life styles and economies or you will have to dream up another disaster and start all over again.
Abraham Lincoln

>What a crazy position.

Just saying "crazy?" No little crazy emoticon? You're slipping, my one-liner friend!

>I do understand why you need to look at it that way however. Time is
>your enemy in this cause.

Right, because it keeps getting cooler. Remember back when you claimed that global warming stopped in 1998?

>You have less than 5 years (I believe) to make changes in life styles and
> economies or you will have to dream up another disaster and start all
> over again.

Why Marc, are you saying that in 5 years global warming will reverse itself? I will bet you $200 (payable to the charity of your choice) that within the next 7 years we will see at least two more of the ten hottest years ever recorded. If you believe what you are saying, it's easy money.

>What a crazy position.

Just saying "crazy?" No little crazy emoticon? You're slipping, my one-liner friend!

>I do understand why you need to look at it that way however. Time is
>your enemy in this cause.

Right, because it keeps getting cooler. Remember back when you claimed that global warming stopped in 1998?

>You have less than 5 years (I believe) to make changes in life styles and
> economies or you will have to dream up another disaster and start all
> over again.

Why Marc, are you saying that in 5 years global warming will reverse itself? I will bet you $200 (payable to the charity of your choice) that within the next 7 years we will see at least two more of the ten hottest years ever recorded. If you believe what you are saying, it's easy money.

I must be getting close to truth seeing how you are now starting the labeling and semi insults.

If the planet is warming you may be right but that is not the issue now is it. The issue (and now I wonder if it is really) is the cause of the warming man. In either case I think not. And as I learn more I am confident you have no proof of that today.

Oh, I know you have you graphs computer models and Al Gore on your side but no proof.

So, your "one liner friend" as you called me here, will now even have to look more into my belief that the planet really is warming. The article makes some sense but, whether or not I change my mind about that does not change the fact that whatever is happening, man aint the cause.
Abraham Lincoln

>If the planet is warming you may be right but that is not the issue now is it.

The article you posted disputed that very issue - so you MADE that the issue. Unless, of course, you have changed your mind again. (Sometimes you are your own worst enemy!)

>Oh, I know you have you graphs computer models and Al Gore on your
>side but no proof.

Agreed. I just have actual climactic observations, paleontological support, ice core data, oxygen-isotope levels over time, CO2 vs temperature studies, atmospheric physics, solar observations, validated models and scientific consensus. You have Rush Limbaugh, who I will readily admit is much bigger than I am, and can talk a LOT more than I can.

>that whatever is happening, man aint the cause.

I know you believe that as much as Speedy believes in his 9/11 conspiracies, and as much as fundamentalists believe in their religions. Which is fine; believe whatever you choose. Just don't make the mistake that some do, and mistake fervent belief for science. They ain't the same.

>If the planet is warming you may be right but that is not the issue now is it.

The article you posted disputed that very issue - so you MADE that the issue. Unless, of course, you have changed your mind again. (Sometimes you are your own worst enemy!)

Hey billvon, what was my comment? It was directly related to the data gathering. I simply posted the whole article for honestly.

>Oh, I know you have you graphs computer models and Al Gore on your
>side but no proof.

Agreed. I just have actual climactic observations, paleontological support, ice core data, oxygen-isotope levels over time, CO2 vs temperature studies, atmospheric physics, solar observations, validated models and scientific consensus. You have Rush Limbaugh, who I will readily admit is much bigger than I am, and can talk a LOT more than I can.

At least your are honest about where the data comes from but you can't acept that anybody would dare question your conclusions

>that whatever is happening, man aint the cause.

I know you believe that as much as Speedy believes in his 9/11 conspiracies, and as much as fundamentalists believe in their religions. Which is fine; believe whatever you choose. Just don't make the mistake that some do, and mistake fervent belief for science. They ain't the same.

Now we go off topic.

At least I am willing to look at new info, data, questions of data gathering issues and question my views. You have made it quite clear you have no intention of doing anything similar.
Abraham Lincoln