crwtom

Left Lane Highway Exit & Entrance Lanes

sorry for the mundane poll ...but it's one of my pet peeves:

my vote:
One of the dumbest and most dangerous ideas of American civil
engineering. It's cost-cutting at the expense of public safety. Always
hated them, and always thought they are catastrophies waiting to
happen. Unfortunately, this seems to be proven right.

Cheers, T
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

The ones I dread and avoid if at all possible are the interchanges where traffic exiting and traffic entering the flow must merge into and share one lane as their paths cross.

Hard to avoid in the mid-Atlantic states.

I don't particularly care for the left-exit/entrance either and I don't think it's much of a cost cutting measure. If it's an exit ramp, it still has to elevate over or descend under the connecting highway.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Hard to avoid in the mid-Atlantic states.

I've had the pleasure of driving in the new "improved" mixing bowl where 95 meets the beltway south of DC. I get nightmares about it. It's like those simulations where galaxies collide and bits go flying everywhere.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

the new "improved" mixing bowl

I like how Dallas named their big interchange, the "Mixmaster". :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You people havent seen confusion until you drive through the magic roundabout.

Then there's spagghetti junction in Atlanta.:S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

At first, I'd have thought they would be no issue and people aren't "that stupid".

But, thanks to DZ.com, I now realize that many people can't spot, attached a main, pack a main, do a simple inspection, hit an ashtray with a spent butt, spell the word boobie, talk about car tires without getting bent out of shape over politics.

maybe it's better to keep things very simple

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Then there's spagghetti junction in Atlanta.:S

The worst interchange I've ever seen was called "The Can of Worms" in Rochester, NY. They've since rebuilt it so the flow is much safer. But it was BAD back in the day. Anytime you have to cross over 6 jam-packed lanes in less than 1/4 mile, that really sucks.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I crossed that thing once, I swear I didn't have a fucking clue where I was going, what I was doing, which taxi was about to hit me.... By the time I left I'm not sure I even knew who I was!

People from Swindon say it works quite well though:D:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The ones I dread and avoid if at all possible are the interchanges where traffic exiting and traffic entering the flow must merge into and share one lane as their paths cross.

That is that Hwy 59, I10, I45 South mess in Houston by the GRB Convention Center.

Chris

you mean like 95% of all interchanges?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

you mean like 95% of all interchanges?

I was thinking more along the lines of the 71-270 interchange on the north side of Columbus. Taffic from 270E exiting to 71N must share the same lane as traffic from 71N entering 270E in one short lane. Thankfully major modifications are underway to eliminate that mess.

I would hardly consider 95% to be of that type. Just a guess but I would think most interchanges have traffic exit the highway before merging traffic enters.

Most of the interchanges we have here have accel/decel lanes. You are talking to diamond exit designs - I prefer them too.

common lanes like these are mainly about courtesy on the roads, which is becoming less and less common.

I recall when we moved to the DC area, you learn real quick not to use your signal, as the courtesy of using a signal for a lane change would automatically result in someone jumping on the accelerator and blocking you out.

Even in the midwest, it's odd to drive,

I recall when we moved to the DC area, you learn real quick not to use your signal, as the courtesy of using a signal for a lane change would automatically result in someone jumping on the accelerator and blocking you out.

I HATE when that happens! >:( Something I learned after moving "in town" is that there seems to be an inverse relationship between the cost of the car and the intelligence of the driver that holds true maybe 75% of the time. It's never the beat up Cavalier or Fiesta that cuts you off or tailgates, it's the Volvo, Mercedes, Audi, etc. that causes problems. Anyone else notice that?