philh

immunisation

"Oscillococcinum, a 200C product "for the relief of colds and flu-like symptoms," involves "dilutions" that are even more far-fetched. Its "active ingredient" is prepared by incubating small amounts of a freshly killed duck's liver and heart for 40 days. The resultant solution is then filtered, freeze-dried, rehydrated, repeatedly diluted, and impregnated into sugar granules. If a single molecule of the duck's heart or liver were to survive the dilution, its concentration would be 1 in 100200. This huge number, which has 400 zeroes, is vastly greater than the estimated number of molecules in the universe (about one googol, which is a 1 followed by 100 zeroes). In its February 17, 1997, issue, U.S. News & World Report noted that only one duck per year is needed to manufacture the product, which had total sales of $20 million in 1996. The magazine dubbed that unlucky bird "the $20-million duck."

So how much to dine on one of the breasts? That must be one tasty duck.

The best way to cut down on the cost would be to send that duck to a premium vodka maker. Each new brand adds another distilliation process. Just throw in the liver and wait for the result. Then sell it for $50 per 750.

I've heard that smacking yourself on the forehead with a claw hammer is good for a headache.

No. Smacking your thumb with a hammer is what cures a headache. The harder you hit it, the longer the headache disappears.;)

I've heard that smacking yourself on the forehead with a claw hammer is good for a headache.

No. Smacking your thumb with a hammer is what cures a headache. The harder you hit it, the longer the headache disappears.;)

You're right. =) Causing pain prompts the body to release endorphins, which activate opiate receptors in the brain, alleviating severe pain. You end up with a sore hand, but the headache goes away.

the drug companies are paying for there drug to be tested. Natural things cannot be patented so there is not a lot of money in it for drug companies. All about the $$$$ for the drug companies[:/]

Genes are natural things, and they are being patented.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I was at dinner the other night with a friend of mine and we talked of our time in Africa.My friend said she wouldnt get yellow fever immunisation (as is required) becasue she is against immunisation on principle. I found this utterly amazing given the huge success in combatting disease that immunisation have had. Is this view widespread? I seriously hope not.

Good yellow fever is natural, she'll have a blast contracting that. Let Darwin's discovery take it's natural course.

do you have any scientific evidence for your assertions or not?
Your comment that you cant make money from them so they are not tested is absurd. Last time i went to my health food shop they weren't exactly giving the stuff away. In fact the Cam industry was estimated to have $34billion worth of sales in 2000 (http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ap/pm/2002/00000035/00000002/art01057) in the Us alone and it has grown since then, worldwide this is an enormous industry making huge stacks of money.

Take a look at the excerpt alone you will find that alternative medicine is 1 in complete contradiction to known laws of physics and 2 very profitable indeed.
"Oscillococcinum, a 200C product "for the relief of colds and flu-like symptoms," involves "dilutions" that are even more far-fetched. Its "active ingredient" is prepared by incubating small amounts of a freshly killed duck's liver and heart for 40 days. The resultant solution is then filtered, freeze-dried, rehydrated, repeatedly diluted, and impregnated into sugar granules. If a single molecule of the duck's heart or liver were to survive the dilution, its concentration would be 1 in 100200. This huge number, which has 400 zeroes, is vastly greater than the estimated number of molecules in the universe (about one googol, which is a 1 followed by 100 zeroes). In its February 17, 1997, issue, U.S. News & World Report noted that only one duck per year is needed to manufacture the product, which had total sales of $20 million in 1996. The magazine dubbed that unlucky bird "the $20-million duck."

Well that merely sounds like high tech homeopathy. Another prevalent quack medicine (excuse the pun) that HAS been scientifically tested and found to be rubbish (when double blind methods are used).

I think getting a witchdoctor to wave a chicken foot at a cancerous tumor can cure it.

But you can't patent a chicken foot, so no one can make a profit off of it, so the medical community covers it all up.

It's true, I tell you.:|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

How about these recalls? I guess that proves that the rich evil parachute companies are focring prodcust down our throats as well?

Cypres Recall
Airtec, manufacturer of the CYPRES AAD, has recalled 1527 units manufactured between August 24 and October 31, 1993. Approximately 222 of these are Tandem CYPRES units. Airtec is releasing to each dealer the serial numbers of units which they alone have purchased.

Mirage Systems has received 2 reports of reserve ripcord pins breaking under apparently normal wear. Although the company and the subcotractor who manufactured the ripcord assemblies have not been able to identify the cause of the failures, Mirage has issued the following mandatory Product Service Bulletin:
MIRAGE SYSTEMS - Product Service Bulletin
Issue date: 28 April 2003
Bulletin number: 280403-01
Subject: Soft Reserve Ripcord Recall

BACKGROUND:
On February 20, 1987, a rigger in the field during pre-assembly inspection of a Talon harness and container system, found a reserve ripcord on which the pin had not been swaged during the manufacturing process. Rigging Innovations was immediately notified and the batch from which the ripcord came from was identified.

.... Another prevalent quack medicine....

I wonder if Quack-Medicine will ever cure Bird-Flu!?

I can't believe I just said that.:P

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Homeopathy can be used for flu colds headache earache pinkeye warts UTI fevers insomnia the list goes on.

In other words, "illnesses" that typical go away all by themselves or psychological ones (insomnia) or warts.

How about fighting/preventing all the diseases we get vaccinations for? How is homeopathy for Polio, Small Pox, German Measles, Tetanus, Hepatitis etc?

Pinkeye, as called by family docs, is viral. Unfortunately, the general public, and sometimes even the doc, calls everything that makes the eye red pink eye. Just like they call every headache a migraine. Doesn't make it true.

There is no such diagnosis of pink eye. It means 'your eye is red, I don't know why, so I'm going to give you an antibiotic and hope it goes away.'

I've seen closed angle glaucoma attacks called 'pinkeye' by family docs and treated with antibiotics. I've seen actual pink eye (viral) mistreated with steroid drops and that's just a mess to have to try to fix.

Family docs/ ER docs don't know what they don't know when it comes to eyes, it's scary.

I hate the term pink eye, drives me nuts.:S

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Homeopathy can be used for flu colds headache earache pinkeye warts UTI fevers insomnia the list goes on.

In other words, "illnesses" that typical go away all by themselves or psychological ones (insomnia) or warts.

How about fighting/preventing all the diseases we get vaccinations for? How is homeopathy for Polio, Small Pox, German Measles, Tetanus, Hepatitis etc?

Don't forget HPV!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I didn't say I am against all vac I have had some of those and my children have had also:o You aren't a doctor either. So unless you have studied homeopathy even alittle don't knock it. And have a understanding of how it works.
Playtime is essential.

Will I have studies homeopathy a little and I am knocking it. Im knocking it because the amount of dilution in homeopathic medicines guarantees they are just placebos. A homeopathic remedy that has 30c dilution (not uncommon) has one part active ingredient to 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 parts sugar water. In other other words its just sugar water. In order to get just one molecule of the active ingredient you would have to drink a vat of this solution the size of the entire solar system. Do you not see how absurd this is?

From the Mayo Clinic:

Pink eye (conjunctivitis) is an inflammation or infection of the transparent membrane (conjunctiva) that lines your eyelid and part of your eyeball. The cause of pink eye is commonly a bacterial or viral infection, an allergic reaction or — in newborns — an incompletely opened tear duct.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pink-eye/DS00258

You're arguing eye care with an eye doctor ;) If you go through the med books, ICD-9 codes, etc, there is no such diagnosis of 'pink eye'. It's a lay person's term invented by some well meaning family doc in ages past. I hate the term. It's meaningless and confuses people. Not all red eyes are conjunctivitis. Most people/docs/schools consider 'pink eye' viral. Some consider 'pink eye' conjunctivitis. Many other consider 'pink eye' anything that makes the eye look red. It's a descriptor, not a diagosis.

Closed angle glaucoma looks like pink eye, but can cause blindness permanently and quickly if not treated. Cellulitis can also look like pink eye, but can potentially kill you if not treated properly. Corneal abrasions will also cause the eye to turn red, so will any corneal infection (including herpes, again potentially blinding if not treated). Iritis causes the eye to turn red, that can cause glaucoma if untreated, as well as more significant issues. Endophthalmitis is another one, the eye may be lost completely if that one isn't treated properly and labelled as 'pink eye'. None are 'conjunctivitis' but all are 'pink eyes'.

I wasn't expecting to get into a full dissertation on eye care here, that's why I went with the standard generic pink eye of the viral form that spreads very quickly through schools, etc. Though it's benign, so I'm not sure why it causes such panic attacks in people.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen called pink eye, the misdiagnoses, the mistreatments, and long term issues all because of that stupid term.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda