philh

immunisation

i think the evidence for the effectiveness of vacination is overwhelming and I have demonstrated that in preivous posts. I am concerned to debunk the pseudo scientific nonsense that they are not. As to whether they should be mandatory well thats a philisophical issue not just a scientific one. I dont have a strong opinion either way although I lean more to the yes. I accept there is a freedom of choice issue but on the other hand should people be free to endanger others with contagious diseases that are easily preventable?

With regards to the varicella vaccine it is 95% effective against severe form of the disease and 70% effective against typical forms. Data form the CDc indicate that the varicella zoster virus is actually a cause of shingels. Furthermore there were 100 deaths annually from varicella b4 the introduction of the vaccine, if you can show me that the vaccine causes more than 100 deaths annually I would agree with you that maybe its not a good idea, otherwise i think only reverse conclusion can be reached.

Sure, first of all I look at it this way anything important that deals with life or death or anything serious for that matter then go with whats proven ( vaccines medicine etc) anything like treating something minor like a sunburn for example, and you choose homeopathic ( aloe leaves) then go for it. I was making the point of not focusing on the small % of side effect modern medicine has but taking comfort that they are heavily outweighed by the good they do.

As to whether they should be mandatory well thats a philisophical issue not just a scientific one.

That's the debate I'm having. In no way am I debating the vax or non-vax issue. I want to keep that personal.

Yup. Varicella zoster lies dormant in the nervous system for years and may develop into shingles. As I stated in my previous post, there is anecdotal evidence that shows repeated exposure to the wild virus over a lifetime may prevent to occurance of shingles later in life. You get this without the vaccine. You don't get this with the vaccine. Because of the vaccine, shingles is on the rise. But, again, Merck has recently introduced the shingles vaccine.

Before 1995, Approx. 50 children and 50 adults out of 4 million cases died annually.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

Have you ever taken a homeopathic med my guess is no. You have no room to talk.

There is no such thing, and you're the one who has no claim to make. What an utterly bizarre argument, if I don't try your homeopathic crap I can't discuss it?:S:S

If I want a medication I will seek the medical advice of someone qualified to prescribe it, and who is backed up by centuries of scientific method and decades of modern research.

Homeopathy has been scientifically tested in double blind studies, IT DOES NOT WORK. Have you looked at that research? If not "YOU have no room to talk".

That claptrap you wrote about 'viberational imprinting' IS NOT A PHYSICAL PHENOMENON. There is no rational basis or scientific foundation for homeopathic claims. The stated theories like the ones you espoused are childish, irrational and laughable.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Never in the history of mankind has such a cornucopia of scientific wonders been available to all. It's all there for the taking. Instead you choose to live in ignorance and just make up utter garbage with no foundation in reality. It wouldn't be so bad if you chose to suffer your own ignorance in silence but instead you try to spread this crap. Go take a chemistry class.

Modern scientific theories are far more strange and bizarre than anything you could dream up, but it is backed up by observation and experiment, not wishful thinking.

the plural of anecodte is not evidence. If the vaccine is causing a rise in shingles, where is the evidence? if we have a vaccine for shingles why would it even matter?
100 dead may not sound like a lot but the relevant question is will more poeple be saved from the vacicine than are harmed by it? Lets not forget thousands were hostpilised form the disease as well and if one the hundreds was one of your loved ones you might think differently. If you can show me even a few deaths caused by the vaccine then maybe its worth looking at, if you can show more than 100 deaths a year then there would be a good case not to vaccinate, so far I dont think you can.

This is part of the problem, the people saved don't even know it, and can't be counted, but it gets worse.

Someone I know has 2 kids she had vaccinated for among other things whooping cough. They contracted whooping cough anyway. She is under the impression that this particular vaccine is therefore useless, when in all probability it gave her kids a fighting chance, shortened their illness, lessened its severity, it may even have saved their lives.

So even a success is perceived as failure by people ill equipped to understand basic immunization.