tkhayes

FAA Funding - Please write a letter today

The debate is on about future FAA funding. user fees, huge taxes on fuel, etc.

It is time to write your Senator, especially if they are on the Senate Commerce Committee. The list is here http://commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=About.Members

If you want to find out who your Senator is, then go to: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

I have attached the email I got from AOPA outlining a request to write them, as well as the letter I wrote to our Senator, Bill Nelson.

The fuel taxes alone would add $1 to every skydive we do here, the savings passed onto the skydivers of course.

Time to take action, otherwise the government listens to the lobbyists. Take the time to write, please, and explain how you fit in and what the impact will hurt you.

thanks
TK

I hope more people write!

This proposal came from the airlines' association and has their fingerprints all over it. An industry that asked for (and got) government bail outs after 9/11. An industry that has proven itself incapable of managing its own affairs for decades. An industry that has reneged on its pension plans for former employees. An industry for which ATC was created, and around which ATC revolves. An industry whose hub and spoke systems have created the gridlock that they now want others to pay to fix. The industry that carried the 9/11 hijackers. That industry is trying to pass off the costs of a service of which it is the prime beneficiary to the rest of general aviation.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is NOT about FAA funding
Funding is caught in the battle of the Dems trying to push through card check for the unions.

Dirty Harry admitted as much at a presser today

I am writing alright

For a clean bill with out card check

Ya kallend

I am writing
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

This is NOT about FAA funding
Funding is caught in the battle of the Dems trying to push through card check for the unions.

Dirty Harry admitted as much at a presser today

I am writing alright

For a clean bill with out card check

Ya kallend

I am writing

The Republicans won't allow for a "clean" bill though.
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/04/138968210/unionizing-flight-subsidies-central-to-faa-standoff

The more politically difficult issue is a GOP proposal to overturn a National Mediation Board rule approved last year that allows airline and railroad employees to form a union by a simple majority of those voting. Under the old rule, workers who didn't vote were treated as "no" votes.

Democrats and union officials say the change puts airline and railroad elections under the same democratic rules required for unionizing all other companies. But Republicans say the new rule reverses 75 years of precedent to favor labor unions.

The GOP labor provision has the backing of the airline industry. The biggest beneficiary would be Delta Air Lines, the largest carrier whose workers aren't primarily union members.

Last month, in comments to the House Rules Committee and separately to reporters, Mica said the labor provision was the only issue standing in the way of the House and Senate reaching an agreement on a long-term FAA bill. He said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has refused to negotiate with Republicans on the issue.

"There is only one issue _ have I not been clear? It's up to Mr. Reid," Mica told the committee. He added that including the subsidy cuts to the extension bill "forces the Senate's hand to act."

http://www.newser.com/article/d9otf83g0/senate-majority-leader-harry-reid-announces-deal-to-end-faa-shutdown.html
Abraham Lincoln

This aviation tax is nothing more than a Shared Sacrifice... it is incubent amoung all aviators to dig deep into our pockets and pull out a WIN for our Federal Government. After all, these are services we all want and need, why not pay our fair share.

We were able to come to a comprmise to devert the END of the WORLD, surly we can come to gether now to keep our skys safe.

Union work is most expensive, and often time inferior work performance.

I can't speak for whatever non-sensical situation you may have worked in where you got this idea, but certainly not in mine.

The industry I work in requires a certain level of work competency as shown by working in the industry in entry level positions, the -minimum- level of pay is set, but doesn't stop the highest quality working members from negotiating higher levels of pay.

In my industry, you're not considered a serious player unless you've at least gotten that minimum level of competency stamp of approval by being accepted into the union.

" . . . most expensive, and often time inferior work performance"? Don't make me laugh.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I can't speak for whatever non-sensical situation you may have worked in where you got this idea, but certainly not in mine.

The industry I work in requires a certain level of work competency as shown by working in the industry in entry level positions, the -minimum- level of pay is set, but doesn't stop the highest quality working members from negotiating higher levels of pay.

In my industry, you're not considered a serious player unless you've at least gotten that minimum level of competency stamp of approval by being accepted into the union.

" . . . most expensive, and often time inferior work performance"? Don't make me laugh.

why not laugh
You just made me laugh
Abraham Lincoln

So, his experience with unions is invalid because YOUR union is different?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Read the first line of my response again.

I'm not saying his opinion isn't valid for HIM, I'm saying it's not universally true.
quade -

> Most expensive yes...however to say the work is less than par would be out of line. I've been involved in the fabrication business, and or Construction for more than 30 years. I have major issues with Unions, I believe many of the orginizations are corrupt...but that is my bias.

It is however the primary reason when able to submit work to an outside Vendor, I perfer non-union shops. Substancially more cost effective, and usually on time.

I'm not saying his opinion isn't valid for HIM, I'm saying it's not universally true.

Read the last 5 words of his statement again - it says "often time", not "every time".
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Read the last 5 words of his statement again - it says "often time", not "every time".

Read the FIRST five.
quade -

Read the FIRST five.

You mean the part where he *doesn't* say "ALL union work is most expensive"?

For your point to be true, we need more info - does the worker take a pay cut after getting that mystical union "stamp of approval®", or do they get a pay raise?

Edit to add union info and link:
AFL/CIO agrees with him, too - with the exception of computer and mathematical operations (where union loses ~12k/year) and management operations (where union loses ~2k/year), the union has higher wages than their non-union counterparts.

Link.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Read the FIRST five.

Nice try, but "Union work is most expensive, . . . " stands as a definitive clause even without the word "all."

Face it Mike, you're now arguing simply for the sake of it. Even the post you're arguing over has been edited and redacted by its author.
quade -

Read the FIRST five.

Nice try, but "Union work is most expensive, . . . " stands as a definitive clause even without the word "all."

AFL/CIO data supports it, too - I notice you didn't give the comparative pay before/after the magical union stamp®. Why is that, Paul?

Face it Mike, you're now arguing simply for the sake of it.

And you're not? Funny how you have to grasp at smaller and smaller parts of the conversation to attempt to prove your point.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

"There is only one issue _ have I not been clear? It's up to Mr. Reid," Mica told the committee. He added that including the subsidy cuts to the extension bill "forces the Senate's hand to act."

It's a moot point as of this morning but I thought it was interesting that Mica claims it's a single issue problem but lists two issues.

The union voting issue makes you wonder what our political elections would look like if we used the same standards. All non-votes would be counted as "No". Would that be "none of the above"?

It's a moot point as of this morning but I thought it was interesting that Mica claims it's a single issue problem but lists two issues.

The union voting issue makes you wonder what our political elections would look like if we used the same standards. All non-votes would be counted as "No". Would that be "none of the above"?

Ya[:/]

In the end it is all about union money given to support political power
Abraham Lincoln

Right, Rush, because that's exactly what he meant. :S
quade -

Right, Rush, because that's exactly what he meant. :S

Sorry the truth is so hard for you to swallow
Abraham Lincoln